Author Topic: What can Wii do for you?  (Read 5100 times)

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
What can Wii do for you?
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:23:08 AM »
Last year, a got a Wii (which accounted for a lot of the reason behind my prolong absence) as a sort of late present (December 26th) due to an incident that, while being responsible for my getting the Wii, was a bit unfortunate and I really wish it didn't happen.... But, anyway, to get to the point of my story, I'll need to go back almost a year ago in early 2007.

A 3rd party memory card of Joytech brand that I had had for a few months conked out on me after playing Pikmin 2 for awhile. I couldn't format it or anything. It refused to read, but the GameCube still read other memory cards. I had lost some save data, including a Super Smash Bros. Melee save that I had gotten all trophies and unlockables, plus bonus messages like "You beat All-Star Mode on Very Hard!" and "You beat Adventure Mode on Very Hard with a stock of 1!" on because the backup memory card was a small 51 block card and a lot of the data was taken up with Pikmin 2, so I couldn't backup everything. Distraught, I got another 3rd party memory card that allowed game save transfers from the computer, allowing me to download completed games to try to replace the data. As good as some of them were, others were obvious hacks with outrageous scores, and I never could quite replace the progress on SSBM.

Present day: For some reason, I decided to try that messed up memory card that I had kept around for nearly a year since the "Joytech fiasco." I put it in the Wii, turned it on, and hoped for the best -- and that's what I got. The Wii, to my astonishment, read the memory card like nothing was ever wrong with it. The first thing I did was put in the forementioned 51 block backup memory card and transfer all of the save data that I lost that was of value. I loaded the backup card into the GameCube and it read the transfered data like normal (but it still refused to read the Joytech card). With this knowledge, I copied the newly recovered data to my two main memory cards (I have 4 total; two 1,019 block memory cards, including the forementioned USB one and an official Nintendo card, the 51 block backup card that is also official, and the 251 Joytech card that fouled up...), and I was able to once again enjoy my long lost data.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's the GameCube that messed up, and not the memory card. It did have a tendency to read memory cards funny, randomly asking me if I wanted to format the current memory card when it was perfectly healthy, so far as I could tell. Plus, it wouldn't even play GameCube games correctly half the time.

Of course, I kept the downloaded game saves that were advantageous to me (like a fully completed Sonic Mega Collection save). :D

Moral of the story: Don't buy 3rd party memory cards (or controllers, for that matter), but if you have have ruined GameCube memory cards, try them out in your Wii to see if they are still any good.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Chex Quest Fan Forums

What can Wii do for you?
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:23:08 AM »

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 13
Re: What can Wii do for you?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:50:06 AM »
I've had issues with third party memory cards as well.  Have you ever seen one of those big, beautiful Nykos?  They're the biggest memory cards I've ever used!  One day, while I was playing Prince of Persia on my GameCube, the memory card fried itself.  This card had everything on it.  Shame on me for not having a back-up.  I contacted Nyko customer support, and they sent me a new one for free!  It's been a full year and I haven't had any trouble with this one.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:03:52 AM »
I saw one of those on my search on the net for a GameCube memory card that could connect to my computer. It didn't look reliable, but my response to my trouble was to buy another 3rd party memory card, so who's to say? ::)
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline The Slimeinator

• Resurrected from the Interdeads
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • I am the one who goes bump in the night.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:02:46 PM »
Nintendo is just plain AWESOME!!!! ;D
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Offline Kuwabara

• "I do declare, if that Hina lady doesn't stop spin spin spinnin' in that river..."
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »
Sort of on this note:  I'm not sure if it's the Wii, or the game, but in Zelda Collectors Edition, my sister got the frog mask, and the game keeps freezing ever since.   :(  I wonder if it is the Wii, or the game.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:31:31 PM »
Have you tried the game in a different console, Wii or GameCube?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:18:17 PM »
Sort of on this note:  I'm not sure if it's the Wii, or the game, but in Zelda Collectors Edition, my sister got the frog mask, and the game keeps freezing ever since.   :(  I wonder if it is the Wii, or the game.

I own Zelda Collector's Edition and that's never happened to me.

Offline The Slimeinator

• Resurrected from the Interdeads
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • I am the one who goes bump in the night.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 06:19:47 PM »
I was so excited when I first got the Zelda Collectors Edition. They brought some of the best N64 games into the new age of Nintendo.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 07:19:21 PM »
Sort of on this note:  I'm not sure if it's the Wii, or the game, but in Zelda Collectors Edition, my sister got the frog mask, and the game keeps freezing ever since.   :(  I wonder if it is the Wii, or the game.

Its the Copy of the game. Becuase it didn't do that to me.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline Kuwabara

• "I do declare, if that Hina lady doesn't stop spin spin spinnin' in that river..."
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
Ok, I'll make sure to tell my sister that.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting