It is a strange mixture of disappointment and ego boost at the same time.
As you know, I have been working on a replica prop MG34 for a very long time for this project.
I have made a lot of fake parts, but I have bought even more real parts. This is actually kind of annoying, since I originally intended to make *everything* from scratch. It was only the lack of good scale drawings on the internet that got me into buying parts.
The first part I *made* was the MG34'a flash suppressor (a.k.a flash cone, a.k.a. flash hider). I did it primarily from photos and some guess work based on that terrible vacuumformed abomintion I have. I built it from a small PVC connector as the main cylindrical section and a piece of hardened polyester resin I shaped using a hand drill as a makeshift lathe. I thought the piece was pretty accurate and I was pretty proud of how it turned out.
However, another piece connected to the flash cone turned out to be waaaaaay off. I puchased the real version of this part and discovered just badly off it was. It was mainly the size. It was much smaller than the real part.
This led me to believe that my flash cone was too small, and so when a real flash cone came up on ebay, I decided to get it.
As it turns out, I didn't really need it.
My false part was slightly smaller than the real part, but not noticeably so. It was a mere 1 millimetre smaller in diameter (1/25") and 3 millimetres shorter (86mm long instead of 89mm long). In fact, when compared side by side, the differences are neglegible.
Now that I have a real one, I guess I will be using that once I fill in the pitted areas, but as you can see I was actually fine with what I had.