Author Topic: DeiMWolf Progress Thread  (Read 25388 times)

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: DeiMWolf Progress Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »
Looks nice. The detailing on the ceiling adds quite a bit to it.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:01 PM »

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »
Personally I think it looks fantastic. But, the black lines on the top and bottem might be what makes it look like a cartoon.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Online Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 57
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »
Progress Report:  August 2, 2013

Lots of little things.

Replaced the suit of armour with a new rendered version.

Replaced the tresure chest with another rendered version.  I don't mean this one to be permanent, but it sure looks better than what I had.

Replaced most of the bone piles with new rendered versions.

Replaced that lousy looking CG MP40 I had been using with another CG MP40 in high res. This is still only a temporary sprite until I get around to doing live action sprites this fall (too hot to do it now), but it looks ten times better.

Repainted the wall textures with the Hitler portraits and the wall eagles on them.   I used a blur tool to antialias the wall eagle and get rid of the jaggies. I then added drop shadows to the paintings and the eagle to give them more dimension and make them appear less flat.

I finally found out how to change the exit messages for the game.  After about a half hour of quitting in Wolfenstein 3D I had what I think was all of the quit messages written down, so I put them into DeiMWolf, along with a couple of my own.

I also did a little testing with different IWADs to see what kind of compatability DW has.  Here are my findings so far.
  • DooM:  Works 100%.  No surprise there.  I did make it for DooM after all.

• DooM II:  Works 100%.

• Chex Quest: Mostly works (98%). The switch texture in the elevator is wrong, and a few other places where I used DooM textures or flats instead of my own custom textures have their CQ equivalents appearing instead, which looks a little off.   Some CQ sounds appear, such as the player sounds, and the door opening sound.  The guard dog makes snot sounds when he attacks.

• Chex Quest 3: Same as above.

• Heretic: Mostly works (90%).  Places where I used DooM textures had equivalents in CQ and CQ3, but they do not have equivalents in Heretic, so these textures appear as the ZDooM blue checkerboard texture.  It is especially common on ceilings.  The sky does not work right in episode 1, and there are no replacement skies for the other episodes. The dog is silent when attacking.  Doors use the Heretic sounds.  The fireballs the decoys shoot are silent, because they use DooM sounds.  Hitler's guns are silent.  Menu items are wrong due to them using the large Heretic font instead of the graphics I defined. Small Heretic font looks terrible, especially so, because it uses the Heretic colourmap, making the letters pink with a pale pink outline when converted to the DooM palette.

As an unplanned bonus, when you use the all weapons cheat you automatically switch to the hellstaff when you run out of bullets!  The other Heretic weapons are there as well, but the likelyhood that you will empty the hellstaff before finishing the level is pretty low.  You can not switch to the Heretic weapons intentionally.  You have to use up all your bullets to switch to the hellstaff, then use up all your hellrunes to switch to the dragon claw, then use up all your orbs to switch to the mace, et cetera, ...

• Hexen: Does not work. The game crashes looking for an unknown polyobj.

• Strife: Partially works (50%).  Lots of problems, but playable.
    • Same texture problems as Heretic.
    • Most of the same sound problems as Heretic.
    • Keys do not work, but it is a fixable problem.
    • Hans Grosse is missing on E1M9.
    • Skies do not work.
    • Secrets do not open (Legacy incompatability problem).
    • No such thing as deaf guards. Guards always come running when shots fired.
    • Guards can hear shots in other rooms, even behind closed doors.
    • 3D sector based objects do not work leaving strange partial versions (Legacy incompatability problem).
    • Wrong music plays on E1M9 and E2M9.
    • No intermissions between levels.

A major problem is Legacy imcompatability.  All the maps were originally made for Legacy, and are still in that format.  Strife does not recognize linedefs that activate scripts.  As such, the secrets will not open.  Legacy's 3D floors do not work in Strife either, so all the sector based 3D objects are missing parts, but that is just a minor irritation.  The inability to open secrets is a fairly major problem in the boss levels however where the ammo hidden in secrets in those levels is needed to defeat the bosses, especially Hittler.  The inability to open secrets is a complete show stopper on E3M4, where the player is required to open a secret in order to reach the exit.

Like Heretic, using the full ammo cheat will also give you the Strife weapons.  If you use up all your bullets you will automatically switch to the mauler!  Also like Heretic, you can not switch to Strife weapons intentionally.

I have not tested DeiMWolf by itself.  I have not tested it with HacX or FreeDooM as the IWAD.  I will probably test these soon.  Heck!  I might even test it with The People's DooM as the IWAD just for fun.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:31:22 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Online Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 01:04:47 AM »
Progress Report: August 4, 2013

So I tried out DW by itself as an IWAD.

It works.  GZDooM insists it is the shareware version of DooM and won't let me start the other two episodes from the menu, but it works.

I played around with the LOCKDEFS lump a little and got the locks working right when using Strife as the IWAD.  The problem is that the silver key does not appear for some reason.  Of course if DW works by itself in GZDooM there will be no need to bother with Strife compatability.

I copied the small font from DooM over to DW in order to make the message text work.  This is only temporary.  I plan on rendering out a different font soon if I can.

Another 3 in 1 screenshot here.

The new MP40 sprite is here.

I came up with a new six frame animated water texture. DooM and Chex Quest have different versions of the water flats and Heretic doesn't use the same name for its water, so the water didn't appear at all in Heretic.  If DeiMWolf was played without an IWAD no water would appear either.  To fix this I consulted a few tutorials and whipped up my own water in GIMP.  There was a plugin to create the ripple effect.  Easy peasy.

I am starting to fool around with the status bar.  I intend to make a new bar resembling the original W3D bar, but with a brushed metal look.  Here I am using the original W3D bar as reference for placement of the various numbers and the keys.  It is obvious the numbers will have to be redone smaller if they are going to fit.  The section that normally displays the number of lives left in W3D is holding the available weapons.  It is unknown what I am going to do with the Floor and Score sections or how I am going to get a graphical representation of the currently held weapon to appear on the right hand side.

No.  I have not replaced the face yet, but I did download a morph that will hopefully get a better looking face made up some time soon.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 02:20:33 AM »
Ooh! Fancy looking.

If you can't get the graphical representation of the current weapon working with the status bar lump info, it IS possible to do it via scripts, I believe. Kinda depends on if printed sprites will appear in front of or behind the HUD sprite though. XD 75, do you have experience with that?

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »
Be very careful with making this an IWAD, remember that any actors that you replace in this wad using DECORATE will be ignored, since the IWAD actors are typically contained in (g)zdoom.pk3.  I don't recommend trying to make this an iwad right now. That's something zDoom really needs to support you on, and I'm not sure they'll allow this as an IWAD if it uses wolf3d maps/trademarks.

If you can't get the graphical representation of the current weapon working with the status bar lump info, it IS possible to do it via scripts, I believe. Kinda depends on if printed sprites will appear in front of or behind the HUD sprite though. XD 75, do you have experience with that?

It's definitely possible, scripts are not needed, you just need SBARINFO and DECORATE (specify inventory.icon in your weapon definitions)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 08:17:50 PM »
Oh yeah! Almost forgot about that. XD

Online Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
... I'm not sure they'll allow this as an IWAD if it uses wolf3d maps/trademarks.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D_TC

Online Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 01:59:35 AM »
Progress Report: August 10, 2013

Working on stuff.

Offline TrueDude

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 02:54:57 AM »
Looks a lot better, imo. More atmospheric.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »
... I'm not sure they'll allow this as an IWAD if it uses wolf3d maps/trademarks.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_3D_TC

Oh right, in that case go ahead.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Online Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
It is a strange mixture of disappointment and ego boost at the same time.

As you know, I have been working on a replica prop MG34 for a very long time for this project.

I have made a lot of fake parts, but I have bought even more real parts. This is actually kind of annoying, since I originally intended to make *everything* from scratch. It was only the lack of good scale drawings on the internet that got me into buying parts.

The first part I *made* was the MG34'a flash suppressor (a.k.a flash cone, a.k.a. flash hider).  I did it primarily from photos and some guess work based on that terrible vacuumformed abomintion I have.  I built it from a small PVC connector as the main cylindrical section and a piece of hardened polyester resin I shaped using a hand drill as a makeshift lathe.  I thought the piece was pretty accurate and I was pretty proud of how it turned out.

However, another piece connected to the flash cone turned out to be waaaaaay off.  I puchased the real version of this part and discovered just badly off it was. It was mainly the size.  It was much smaller than the real part.

This led me to believe that my flash cone was too small, and so when a real flash cone came up on ebay, I decided to get it.

As it turns out, I didn't really need it.

My false part was slightly smaller than the real part, but not noticeably so. It was a mere 1 millimetre smaller in diameter (1/25") and 3 millimetres shorter (86mm long instead of 89mm long).  In fact, when compared side by side, the differences are neglegible.

Now that I have a real one, I guess I will be using that once I fill in the pitted areas,  but as you can see I was actually fine with what I had.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:51:08 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Online Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 11:50:07 PM »
Progress Report: September 27, 2013

So you thought I had forgotten about you, eh?

After a considerable amount of time I have managed to repaint half of the sprites for the guard's run cycle.  By "half" I mean I have a full run cycle, but only eight angles, allowing me to test.  (There are another 240 renders that will create 80 more sprites for a full 16 angles, but I will probably get around to them later.)

As you recall, each frame required three seperate renders to be painted together in order to get rid of some severe distortion of the epaulettes and shoulder straps.  The repainting was successful and the epaulettes and straps now look the way they are supposed to look, and the animation of the run cycle also looks correct.

The character is still far from finished.  I still have to come up with attack, pain and death sequences, so there is much left to do.

At least he is on his way.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 53
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
Looks good for a start! Also, I thought I had commented on the flash cone, but that's pretty awesome! I loved reading up on your MG34 work log back in the day...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Online Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
I was working on the death sequence for the guard, but the limitations of the renderer have frustrated me. Unlike the original DooM where portions of the sprites can be rendered below the surface of the floor to make the sprite appear firmly planted on the ground, GZDooM (and other opengl ports) cut off any pixel below to floor's surface.  The only way around that is to raise the bottom of each sprite up above the floor, but that makes the sprite look like it is floating above the floor.

Grrr

I had a lovely death sequence rendered out, but when the corpse of the guard is lying on the ground it looks like it is actually floating above the ground with just the heels touching.  That's very frustrating. It is also very frustrating that the various piles of bones lying around the dungeons look like they are floating above the floor too.

Anyway, it looks like I am going to have to render the entire death squence again from another camera angle in the hope that the character's corpse looks like it is actually lying on the floor.