Author Topic: DeiMWolf Progress Thread  (Read 28830 times)

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 121
  • -Receive: 36
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
Re: DeiMWolf Progress Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
That looks really, really good. Shame about the resolution though, it really messes up the edge.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 16
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
It does look really good. Although, it kinda looks like those ancient wax stamp sealers. I imagine such a thing would look amazing as Slime in TUCQ.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 121
  • -Receive: 36
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2014, 10:08:52 PM »
Oh, that's actually a great idea, Rep! And it would look really cool for the slime river in E1M5.

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »
I'm gonna try to make a slime river today...I'll post when I'm done.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 59
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »
It is not relevant to this thread, but there are a number of objects that would likely benefit from being redone as voxels in T.U.C.Q..  The  stalagtites and stalagmites in the Caverns of Bazoik would look hugely better.

Getting back on subject ...

A number of objects in DeiMWolf would benefit too:

• The wood panel walls have one texture with an aluminum NAZI eagle relief on it.  The texture I have right now looks very good, but imagine how much better it would look if I made a voxel version of that same relief so it stands out from the wall as an actual relief.  A large iron cross that appears on one wall, the picture frame around the Hitler portrait and a swastika in a laural wreath that appears on some of the brick walls would all look tremendously better if they were redone in voxel versions.

• I was unable to create cone shaped shades on the lamps using slopes.  It is probable however that I can make them using voxels.  All I would have to do is delete the 3D sectors from the lamps and replace them with the voxel shades.

• While I made some nice sprite renders of various bone piles, The (usually large) sprites look very flat as the player turns and moves, and some of the bones appear to be floating in mid-air.  Replacing them with vowel bone piles would make a lot of sense.

• The wooden barrels have been a tremendous bane to me.  All the sprites I have made from downloaded photos and model renders look bad, and the barrels look flat, especially when compared to my sector based oil drums.  Although sector based barrels using sloped 3D sectors are possible, they would require an absurdly large number of dummy sectors. Voxel barrels would be much much better.

• The pots, pans, and laddles hanging from the pot racks on E1M2 would look many times better as voxel versions.

• Imagine how much better the alcove eagle would look as a voxel version.

I can probably think of more items in DeiMWolf that would really benefit from voxelization.  The two biggest probles are 1.) Slab6 is very difficult to use, and 2.) Magicavoxel has an incredibly annoying 126 x 126 x 126 size limit.

I would love to redo the wall mounted eagle as a voxel object, but the eagle is 368 x 243 pixels in size. Mavicavoxel simply wil not allow it.

I could make a the wall eagle in four pieces, but that would mean placing four objects for each eagle in a level, and trying to get all of the pieces to line up without gaps or overlap.  It is an extremely annoying constraint.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:01:17 AM by Boingo the Clown »

Online ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
You could also do four pieces, then manually stitch the files together.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2014, 03:37:20 PM »
Wow.  This is weird.

I have been wanting to change the intermission screen to more closely resemble the intermission screen in Wolfenstein 3D, so yesterday I decided to start with the text and numbers.

I went into W3D and took a screen shot of the intermission screen so I could get the correct colour for the text.  Then went into GIMP.  I selected the text colour with the eye dropper tool, started a new image and typed out all of the text and numerals I needed.  I then copied and pasted the individual pieces of text and numerals to their own images and exported high resolution and low resolution versions of them out to PNG files.

After adding the new text and numerals to DeiMwolf, I started up GZDooM and got a big surprise.

The text appears correctly, but all the numerals are a purplish blue!

I have no idea whether it is something I did wrong or if GZDooM has a bug that needs to be fixed, but it certainly puts a kink in my plan.

Online ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
Fonts do not save color. When it is picked up by the engine, it grayscales it and then uses that as a base for applying color in the engine. So what you see there is the engine deciding on the color. Not sure if you can change it, but if you can it'll probably be in a MAPINFO lump or something. Also, look into making your own font lump with FONTDEFS, as that might help.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/FONTDEFS
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »
Like what you've done so far, Boingo! Once this is released, it's gonna be a kicka** game!

I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »
Progress Report: November 13, 2014

I haven't done a whole lot, but I guess I have done a little.

Way back in the spring I imported an OBJ barrel model into Magicavoxel to make a voxel barrel, but never did anything with it because the model was imported as one solid colour, and Magicavoxel has no good way of repainting the voxel barrel.  I was able to paint the wood brown(ish) and the hoops grey. 

I added the voxel barrel to DeiMWolf a few days ago.  While it looks better than the previous sprite versions in the fact it has volume, the fact that it has no texture combined with the even sector lighting in the game results in barrels that look like coloured cutouts.

I didn't like the sprite I was using for the tall blue vase, so  I replaced it with another one that looks more like the vase in the original game.

The mutant has no far attack sprites, no near attack sprites, and no pain sprites.  It now makes up for it by having three sets of death sprites.  A DECORATE function named A_Jump randomly choses one of the three death sequences when the mutant dies.

If you look at the picture you will see the mutant in three different death poses on the floor.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:36:49 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2014, 08:10:07 PM »
I have been busy, but I fiddled a little with the door textures, and a little with the textures for the hanging cages.

I am also working on a new title screen.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2015, 03:11:55 PM »
Trying to get going again.

I am (very) slowly working on a graphics resource for DW: Much Obliged to make it slightly easier for those making new levels. Basically, it just replaces the DooM II Wolfenstein textures with copies of the DeiMWolf textures, and I am trying to throw together rough equivalents.

Yesterday I finally started work on the officer.

I have a feeling this one is going to be trouble.  I am using a different figure, called Apollo Maximus, for this sprite, because the uniform was designed for it. The problem is most human figures start in a T pose (standing at attention with arms straight out to the sides like a capital T), but Apollo Maximus starts in a very different pose with the arms in a relaxed position down at the sides.  This means the motion capture runs and other poses I have been using may not work with this  character.  If that is the case, then I will have to abandon trying to do this character using this figure and try again with another figure.

We will soon see.

Also, the uniform did not come with the NAZI armband. I took the one used by the SS guard and applied it to the figure. I could not make it fit completely, with parts of it hidden by the arm of the uniform.  that means I have yet another figure I am going to have to do a lot of repainting on.  I may have to abandon the armband if it is too much work.

{{EDIT: Oh dear.  It looks like I was right. Apollo Maximus really doesn't look like he will work out.  I just tried him out with DAZ Studio's Animate presets for the death sequences, and I guess A.M. is just rigged wrong.  Instead of falling down and dying, A.M. just floated in mid air and flailed around strangely.  This is not good.  I will have to abandon this model.

In brighter news, I may have just licked the problem I was having with the S.S. guard's boots. I hid the boots inside a pair of invisible primatives, and parented the primatives to the legs of the S.S. guard. Now the Genesis figure does not autofit the boots and ruin them, and when the Genesis figure moves, the legs move the primatives, and the primatives move the boots. (Achievement unlocked: Cobbler)}}
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 06:15:57 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »
Progress Report: January 30, 2015

Working on voxel keys.

The gold key here is unfinished, but it already looks quite smart.  The silver key is barely started, but already looks quite good too.

I have been working on a texture pack for Much Obliged. The pack is meant to replace the DooM II textures with textures and sprites that will allow people working on MU work on it without needing to use DooM II.  So far, only the barest number of textures and flats have been replaced, mostly just the existing DeiMWolf textures renamed to replace DooM II's Wolfenstein textures, but it should eventually replace most or all of the textures used by Oblige.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2015, 03:15:53 AM »
Since mecha-armour is kind of silly, I am working on a miniature tank for Hitler to drive.

Opinions?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:19:16 AM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
Tanks in Wolf3D, sounds really cool! I myself haven't really played the game much, but I can see that this is a HUGE improvement over everything in Wolf3D. You should take this current progress, and release another version of DeiMWolf.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting