Author Topic: DeiMWolf Progress Thread  (Read 42143 times)

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: DeiMWolf Progress Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
Dang, Boingo, that's pretty neat.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
what
WHAT
WHAT
This is awesome! You should totally do it!

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 31
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:31 PM »
We can only hope for another release soon...
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 67
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
Progress Report: Monday, February 16, 2015

Not a whole lot to report.  I tinkered a little bit with that tank. The treads on the model I used do not turn, but I found a few tank models online that do have turning treads (according to the descriptions anyway), and I will see if I can swap a set of working tracks from one of these tank models onto my tank.  It will change the look of the tank, but at least it will have moving treads.

I downloaded a motion capture file of a guy running with a rifle.  I am using a program called BVHacker to see if I can get the animation working with the SS guard.  If I am successful, I can finally have a running animation for the SS guard, instead of him sliding around on the floor.  Wish me luck on this.

I found some free explosion stock footage from a company called "Blink Farm", and was able to make a series of high resolution sprites from one of the sequences.

This is not very useful in DeiMWolf itself, because the only thing there is that explodes is Hitler's tank, which is unfinished.  It will be useful for Much Obliged though, where it can be used for replacing the DooM barrel explosion.

It was the last key started, but it is the first key finished. The red key is not used at all in DeiMWolf, but it will be needed for Much Obliged.

Also, thanks to Enjay and Wild Weasel on the ZDooM editing forum, you can now see which weapon you are holding in the statusbar.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:36:42 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2015, 01:48:21 PM »
Hey Boingo what about DeiM it was highly rejected and it is still sleeping.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2015, 03:01:16 PM »
DeiM was the original project I was working on from a heck of a long time ago.  The project stalled and was basically shelved, although there is always a chance I might start it again.

The premise of DeiM was both as a reversal of the situation in DooM and as a sequel/prequel/midquel between DooM and DooM II.  Instead of playing as the last surviving space marine after the invasion of the moon bases of Mars, the player would be playing as the last surviving demon (an imp), who follows the marine through one of the portals after the defeat of the Spiderdemon (arriving on Earth *before* the marine, due to time displacement from the portal), and is forced into an all out war against the Union Aerospace Corporation.  If successful, the player would  defeat UAC and use an artifact to resurrect the demons on Earth.  Cue the anticlimax at the end of DooM and the beginning of DooM II.

DeiMWolf was originally just going to be a secret level in DeiM that reproduced the first level of Wolfenstein 3D. After I did the first level, I just couldn't help making the second level ... then thie third ... then the fourth ... and so on. Eventually, it supplanted DeiM.

DeiM was originally made for Vanilla DooM, then switch over to DooM Legacy. Most of the enemies were repaints of the marine and zombies as normal troops, and most of the levels ended up just being tests for various DooM special effects tricks.  It would all look laughably primative now.  If I was ever to pick up the project again, I would have to start the whole thing over from scratch.

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »
Wow DeiM was the parent of DeiMWolf  :o :o :o.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
Progress Report: Friday, February 20, 2015

What a terrible week I have been having.

I decided to rerender the dog run cycle sprites. The dog running sprites were the first set of enemy sprites I rendered for DeiMWolf.  However, while they look good, there are five reasons why they must be changed.  They have different lighting than the other sprites. they are at a different resolution, they are not in full colour (they are in the DooM palette), they are not antialiased to transparency, giving them a dark outline, and they only have the standard 8 views, instead of the 16 views (used by ZDooM and GZDooM) that the other enemies have.

So I spent hours rendering all of the sprites (16 frames x 16 views = 256 sprites), and painstakingly cropped them down to size. Then when I started adding them into the game, I saw a very noticeable green line down the dog's chest and on the insides of its legs.  It had never shown up on the older renders on the old computer, but it was virtually impossible to miss now.

Back when I made the texture for the dog, I was using an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro that does not have layers.  In order to figure out where I had to paint and make changes, I put a green margin making the edges of the UV map onto the graphic as a guide.

Somehow the green from outside of the UV map on the texture was being applied to the at the seams of the texture. I would have to do it all over again.

I edited the texture and replaced the green with a tan colour similar to the colour of the fur on the chest and legs of the dog. I did a render and it looked good.  Then I went and rendered all the sprites again.

Then I noticed another problem.  Somehow the animation was not loading correctly, and when I took a look at it, it was bad.

So today I unplugged my newer computer, and plugged in my old one, so I could use the older version of DAZ Studio I used before, along with the original file (seeing how the file was not working on the new computer).  I was in for a disappointment, as it turned out the original file had somehow been corrupted.  The dog had been turned purple, and no matter what I tried, I could not get the model to accept any textures.  I tried exporting the poses from the old file, then creating a new file with a new dog, and importing the poses, but the animation was messed up exactly the same way it was messed up new computer.  It looked like I was stuck.

I finally decided to apply brute force to the problem.  I reloaded the scene with the non-texturable dog and loaded another dog on top. I then applied the poses to it, and decided to manually  move every joint that was misaligned until the two models lined up and I would finally have a dog that was properly textured and animated. 

Luckily, this was when I discovered the source of the problem.  As it turns out, DAZ character have limits on how far their joints can move.  This is normally used to prevent new users from accidentally putting the figures into poses that look like car accident victims. Some of my joints were moved to outside these limits, and the program was truncating the number back to those limits, distorting the poses.  After looking up on line how to do it, I disabled the limits on the joints, and when I reloaded the poses, they were the way they were supposed to be.

More rendering, and it looks like I will soon have my new dogs to put into the game.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2015, 02:54:52 PM »
So the problem you kept speaking of in the chat was fixed? HUZZAH!

I think of the original Wolf3D graphics....then I realize how much better DeiMWolf is.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
Also, (sorry for the double post) but I was looking through the old boards, and I found this post in the T.U.C.Q forum, it's from 2005:
Quote from: Boingo The Clown
I intended to be putting together the latest T.U.C.Q. beta last week, but I got working on another Legacy based project instead, which ate up all of my time.

Oops.

The good news is that this other project may actually end up have a complete release in a couple of weeks, and it rocks!

Right away I realized that this project was DeiMWolf, and I thought, "Wow, this project is 10 years old!".

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2015, 09:34:03 PM »
Correct.  Don't you just hate Development Hell?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:58:59 AM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »
Tell me about it. I need to wait to get on my brother's computer whenever I want to do any mapping, I've been making graphics for ANQ instead of mapping, once I have access to my brother's computer, I'm gonna work on it.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
Progress Report: Monday, February 23, 2015

After all of the frustration of the last week (see above), I have finally got the new versions of the dog running sprites into the game.  I only got the eight standrad views in, but after the last week, I am going to temporarily throw in the towel and call the task finished for now.  I can add the other eight views in later.

Let's compare the old version with the new one.

Same program (albeit a newer version). Same model. Same texture (with the green removed). Same animation.

Different lighting. Different camera. Full colour. Higher resolution. Proper antialiasing.

(I wonder if the big dog will ever catch the little one.  ;D)

There are still no new sprites for the attacking or death sequences, so the dog will continue to use versions of the Wolfenstein 3D dog sprites for those until I can come up with new sprites for those too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:37:33 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »
I don't see any green anywhere on the old version...

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2015, 04:19:36 PM »
The green did not show up until I tried to rerender.  At the lower resolution the green would have been washed by the brown around them out and more difficult to see.  The old sprites were also switched to the DooM palette.  If a pixel was slightly greenish, but mostly brown, it would have been mapped to one of the browns on the DooM palette.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting