Author Topic: DeiMWolf Progress Thread  (Read 27666 times)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 57
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Re: DeiMWolf Progress Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2016, 01:11:26 AM »
If I remember right, then converting the image to a PNG file will allow for true color.
Magicavoxel  only allows a 256 colour palette.  No truecolour.

Now for the bad news I mentioned earlier.

Because DeiMWolf was originally made for Legacy, the maps are in standard format, and use fraggle script. There are no polyobjects in this mode.

Pushwalls in DeiMWolf are simulated by using a series of thin sectors. A script for each pushwall sets the floorheight of each of the thin sectors to 0 in sequence, making the wall appear to slowly recede.

I downloaded the new versions (1.9.0 and 2.1.0) and they both have the same problem.  Instead of the sectors being instantly set to 0, they lower at turbo speed.  This makes the pushwalls appear to flicker instead of moving smoothly as they did before.  This basically ruins the effect.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2016, 01:11:26 AM »

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2016, 07:37:28 AM »
Then yeah, your coloring issues are because of the palette.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2016, 10:12:28 AM »
The good looking screenshot above was done in GZDooM 2.1.0.  In version 1.82, which I normally use, and in the latest 1.X version 1.9.0 that was just released, there is a bug.  I call it the "GZDooM Grey Voxel Bug" and it affects a number of the voxel objects I have made.

The good news is the voxels look fine in version 2.1.0

Theoretically. Some PNGs also use palettes though, so you have to be careful.

I don't know much about hardware rendering, but it sounds like this is just a bug in gzDoom; if it works in gzdoom 2.1.0 better than it does in gzdoom 1.x I think that's ok.

@Boingo: Just wondering, why are you concerned about supporting old versions of gzdoom? Even if you're going for Zandronum support I'd recommend just leaving it as it is. Zand will catch up and fix this coloration problem eventually.

@CM/Replica: Remember that gzdoom never sees these pngs he's talking about, it only sees the voxel models, Boingo's not providing a 3d model with a skin, it's a blob of pixels that each have an indexed color.

With that said I think you guys are right, and it is a palette problem, but in my opinion this sounds like an internal palette bug in gzDoom, because IIRC gzDoom renders a voxel model to an md3 before drawing it, because the OpenGL renderer is slow at rendering voxels. I think this is something that Boingo wouldn't even have any control over.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 10:14:30 AM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2016, 06:05:19 PM »
@Boingo: Just wondering, why are you concerned about supporting old versions of gzdoom? Even if you're going for Zandronum support I'd recommend just leaving it as it is. Zand will catch up and fix this coloration problem eventually.

I am not concerned about old versions. 1.8.2 was simply the version I was using.  I was unaware of the new versions until recently.

What concerns me now is the new problem that affects the pushwalls.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2016, 03:34:43 AM »
Progress report: July 24, 2016

After five months of neglect, I decided give DeiMWolf some love.

I was trying to make a set of 3D electrical conduit pipes in the elevators using sloped 3D sectors.

It was messy (mapwise), a lot of tedious work, and the results were not satisfactory.

The voxel version I have been working on the last few days looks much better.

(large image)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 16
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2016, 04:49:42 PM »
That does look much better. Nice work!
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2016, 10:38:05 PM »
I love voxels. I don't know if there are many mods using them, but I love the way they fit into the Doom style...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2016, 10:10:07 AM »
There is one problem with voxels.

The textures and sprites in DeiMWolf are in high resolution, so I must my voxels in higher resolution as well, but I am finding my higher resolution voxels are causing a reduction in frame rate. 

The most significant offender is the wooden barrel.

Whenever there are more than three barrels on the screen at the same time, the frame rate on my machine decreases noticeably.  It is most noticeable in a storage room on E1M4, where there are several barrels, a large room on E1M8, where there are more than a dozen barrels clustered together, and—worst of all—the last two room on E3M8, where the player must navigate a slalom course of barrels to get to the elevator with dozens of barrels in view at once.  The game goes from smooth and easy motion to slow a choppy motion similar to what players used to experience with DooM back before the client server model was adopted when trying to play online.

I have no idea what to do about this problem right now.

In lighter news, I have now changed all of the elevators in the game to use the voxel pipes, and I have changed the mounting brackets for the handrails in the elevators over from 3D sectors to a voxel bracket as well.

Also, as an experiment, I altered a hallway early in E1M1 (the one with the MP40 hidden behind a secret wall), lowering the light level, and adding a series of ceiling joists and braces for more detail.  I don't know if I will do this for other rooms.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2016, 12:19:36 AM »
Progress Report: August 4, 2016

About a week  ago, 75 mentioned another Wolfenstein based mod, and pointed out  that it has all six episodes of W3D, as opposed to DeiMwolf, which only has the original three.

Yesterday I disconnected my computer, and for the last two days I have been working at various tasks that require the old computer, including running FloEdit, and old Wolfenstein 3D editor to allow me to recreate some of the Nocturnal Missions episodes.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
Progress Report: October 30, 2016

I finally have Doktor Schabbs in the game.

Just standing and running sprites so far, but I hope to have more soon.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »
Progress Report: May 27, 2017

Thanks to a plug in utility for DAZ Studio, called "Graphmate", I finally was able to get the officer reposed into a decent animation based on the run sequence I used for the guard over the last few days.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Like the guard, I am going to have to make multiple renders of this guy with different articles of clothing/equipment added or turned off, then paint them together in GIMP to get rid of any peculiarities in the initial renders.

I also added some temporary running sprites for the SS guard.  They don't look very good, but it is better than watching the SS guards just slide around on the floor.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2017, 12:13:10 AM »
Progress Report: June 1, 2017

It took me a few days, but I finally got all the renders of the officer repainted and looking decent.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:27:11 AM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2017, 11:41:00 AM »
This is going to sound dumb, but there is a small crisis going on of the first world problem variety.

A number of the animations I have been using for enemies in DeiMWolf are motion capture files in the BVH format.  The Mixamo website has been a source for many of these animations (i.e. Doktor Schabbs's heavy rollie pollie run is a modified version of a mixamo animation.).

Unfortunately, at the end of this week, Mixamo is going to be dropping BVH support from its site, along with a number of other features.

In order to keep these animations available to me, it looks like I am going to have to download all of the 2500 animations from the site in BVH format ...
... one at a time.

I have already spent the bulk of three days just adding the animations to my assets list.

Now I am going to have to do the actual downloading.

This is going to take a while.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
I did it!

2448 files downloaded!

Now I just need to rename the bones in the skeletons to match the names used by the DAZ figures in order to use them.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:20:52 AM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 16
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:47 PM »
Sounds pretty tedious. I wish you luck.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting