Author Topic: Register Domain Name  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Datra

• Captain of the Chex Ship.
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 8
  • wait a sec'... that's not a Chex Ship!
Register Domain Name
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »
Hey folks, been a while.

So I've been looking into registering a website for some comics I've been working on.
And I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about what service would be good to register with.

Chex Quester 4 life!!!
"That is regrettable, but not unexpected"-Obisek

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Register Domain Name
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Register Domain Name
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
If you don't mind having a subdomain, dyndns is free; it only stays active if you remember to visit their website every so often though.

I use godaddy, which works well enough for me, and it's quite cheap too.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline LAZ Trooper

• Must... keep... mapping... o_o
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 22
  • Standing at the ready when Flemoids attack.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »
Richie probably knows something about registering domains, and I think I've heard him say things about godaddy being horrible to him or something. :P
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »
Considering how technical and involved the board software is, GoDaddy really wouldn't help him when things went wrong. The current host has great support for forum software and managing the databases when things go wrong.

I think they're probably the best thing for basic hosting, though.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
Here's my take:

Are you looking to run blog or forum software?  If so, avoid GoDaddy hosting like the plague!  They overload their servers to the brink of exhausting, cramming thousands upon thousands of sites onto each server.  This causes all kinds of issues when you have software running that has to connect to a database.  However, if you're looking to run a simple website, their prices are very good.  Their prices for domain name registration are also very good.

I would recommend InMotion Hosting over GoDaddy, by far.  That's what we use now, and they are over the top good.  You can even register domain names with them.  If you decide to go with them, here's a link to give me credit: http://www.inmotionhosting.com/?intref=chexquest.org

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:37:25 PM »
I'd just like to clarify, I'm talking about using GoDaddy as a Domain Name Registration service (they do NOT host the actual webpage in my case, I own and manage the server, all they do is register www.ifocserv.net to point to my server's ip address). I can't really say how they are as a webhost, as a place to buy a domain name from they seem OK so far.

EDIT: I don't really like the regular "RENEW NOW AND SAVE!" (when my expiration peroid isn't for another 8 months)"e-mails, though.

-- If you already have a server, and you just want to register 24.33.22.11 to be www.datrassuperblog.com, that's what I use GoDaddy for, and they're good enough at that

-- If you DON'T already have a server, and you want to get a full package including the server, that's what Richie and others are trying to tell you not to do with GoDaddy.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 06:44:47 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
I'd just like to clarify, I'm talking about using GoDaddy as a Domain Name Registration service (they do NOT host the actual webpage in my case, I own and manage the server, all they do is register www.ifocserv.net to point to my server's ip address). I can't really say how they are as a webhost, as a place to buy a domain name from they seem OK so far.

I've actually had good experience with the domain name registration aspect.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »
I have GoDaddy for the domain registration and ASmallOrange for my hosting. Great, cheap, works well. If I could I would've bundled everything with ASmallOrange just to consolidate things.

Remember if you just want a name, all you need is a domain name registration. If you want to host your website, however, you will need to find hosting, be it free or paid, and connect your domain name to the hosting. Some websites set this up for you.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
www.webs.com is free for hosting, and you can put your own .html up (or whatever else) instead of using their website builder. The only downside is you have to include a small banner ad somewhere for webs.com if you go that route. The default domain is something like www.webs.com/yourwebsitename, but you can pay a small fee to actually have your own domain. Its actually quite cheap, I think.

IDK, just another thought to put in with the rest.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Datra

• Captain of the Chex Ship.
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 8
  • wait a sec'... that's not a Chex Ship!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
wow lots of stuff. Thanks. :D ASmallOrange looks pretty good. especially since they do the domain registration now. I'm thinking of setting up the site with WordPress with ComicPress any words of wisdom about WordPress at all?

Some folks at my work have also suggested Weebly and I'm also looking at hover.com for domain registration and HostGator for hosting. (they're doing a sale right now and have a special for Philip DeFranco followers so the price is pretty good).

Any thoughts or suggestions? Things I should know or should be worried about?

Chex Quester 4 life!!!
"That is regrettable, but not unexpected"-Obisek

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting