Author Topic: Discussion Topic  (Read 21144 times)

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Discussion Topic
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:08:51 AM »
Hello all! I come with a set of Capture Point maps for playing! Well, a Capture Point map. I'll make more later. Or if people want to make map layouts, I can do the scripting, now that I have a set of scripts I can copy/paste.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/sh/h2ss6ygncjce8c8/c4oA652gmB/CPS.wad?dl=1&token_hash=AAF7Tee-BsWKKKdmhKWqtBu0X57MNP91FLBlBmcc8vHUDg

CPS01
--------

Note: pics are very slightly outdated.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:59:13 AM by ChexMaster2109 »
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Discussion Topic
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:08:51 AM »

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
Re: Capture Point Maps
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:26:51 PM »
Is it a decent script? Last time I heard about it (twas years ago, now), it was still really buggy.

At the time, I had some beginnings of a map starting (here and here) based on Team Fortress 2's Granary map.

Its just that I've always had problems keeping things in scale. I'd make a nice, large spawn area that could easily spawn a 6 player team or more, then I'd make the combat area the same size without realizing it. Not to mention Doom being way faster than TF2, requiring even quicker methods of getting to the 'front'. Also, moving the spawn points up as the map progresses, finding ways to minimize/eliminate spawn camping...

Shoot, if I had any mapping skill/ideas left, I'd try again.

@CPS01: I like the look of it at least!
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »
As far as I can tell, the script is flawless. But... still have yet to test it in Multiplayer. That's where it fell apart last time XD I will admit that I have gotten exponentially better in both scripting and mapping since then. My earlier maps had a problem of being too small; there was no room to actually play. Not so here. As you can see, there is plenty of room to navigate, as well as barriers here and there (like the crates) that provide cover, yet don't hinder movement too much. Of course, again, still needs to be tested. It felt right as I went through it though.

Also, when I did the scripts last time, I tried to do too much, in a much too complicated way, without having the needed experience. I think this script will be much more stable, but we'll see.

As far as moving spawn points, well, its not needed in this map. Mainly because the capture points are literally all next to the spawning areas, but the map is designed in such a way as that it still flows from one side to the other. Interesting side note: the middle point cannot be captured until the team that wants it has both of their own side points, and so is virtually worthless in the beginning - BUT the rapid zorcher is only found in the middle. The sides only have large/super large zorchers, which don't have the range to shoot down the hallways. So even though you want to get the side points first, there is still incentive to fight over the middle from the get go. Also, this map doesn't have phasing zorchers or anything better. Not sure if this is bad or not, but it felt like it didn't need em. (It does have rockets/grenades though)

Yeah, I think the hardest point about mapping for multiplayer Doom/CQ is making sure there is enough room to navigate. You REALLY need a lot of space. Tis a lesson that took FOREVER for me to learn, as 75 knows too well XD

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:12:02 PM »
you make better use of my gray / green wall edits than I do, heh. I was thinking those were ugly and useless for a while, well I was wrong about that.

I'm rather busy at the moment... feel free to reach me on ICQ (I'll send you a PM). It's easier for me to get on than Steam.

Also, a really good way to test scripts is to start a server on your own computer and join it multiple times. It can't test everything but it helps a little sometimes.

See you soon, hopefully.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
Success! Turns out there WAS a bug, due to the fact that Zandronum handles spectating and re-entering differently on a server than in singleplayer.  o_O Whatever, works now.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
Are you available this weekend (thanksgiving weekend)?

I know it's a holiday, but it also happens to be the only good block of time when I'll be off until Christmas.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Offline TrueDude

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I find it funny people dislike associating with the stolen Chex Quest 3, but they still use some of the textures from it because T.U.C.Q. accidentally left it in. (Specifically, the pillars with the yellow and black striped warning label on them.)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 64
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »
Which pillar are you talking about?

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 17
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »
It's the pillars behind the point. The Image is too big, however, so you may need to scroll right to see them.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »
Ah, sorry. I found them in the textures and liked em; had no idea where they were from. In any case, I was just looking for an excuse to use them in the map, and they don't really work there anyways, so more reason to remove em.

Also, just got back from vacation. I can probably test it out tomorrow 75.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:01:34 PM by ChexMaster2109 »

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 11:10:15 PM »
Send me a message on steam whenever you're available

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:53:39 PM »
Don't have Steam atm, but i'm available for testing from now on pretty much. Send me a PM when you are available today, and i'll try to keep my eye on it.

Nvm, i got steam open. Message me on it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:25:32 PM by ChexMaster2109 »

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 05:32:28 AM »
Alrighty, map tested and it works fine :D

75, I added base colors and on-screen goal text that appears over the capture points you want and the capture points that are in danger. Also, I see that the Test server is still up. If your going to leave it up might as well use the latest version :P

This is the link for it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/sh/h2ss6ygncjce8c8/c4oA652gmB/CPS.wad?dl=1&token_hash=AAF7Tee-BsWKKKdmhKWqtBu0X57MNP91FLBlBmcc8vHUDg

I'll post it on the OP as well for those who want it.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 64
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 11:07:24 AM »
I only played one game yesterday. We won despite my bumbling.

When Cybergeekr (Mastrius) got in, we ran into a problem where the percentages we not counting up up, and neither of us could capture any points.  The problem was probably scripting, and it resolved itself when I exited and reentered. (No. We were not standing on the disks at the same time.)

Mastrius did not reenter, because he was not feeling well, so I just spent a number of rounds alone familiarizing myself with the map and the rules of the game.

I noticed the game switched me back and forth between red and blue a few times, which was rather confusing.

Is it possible to make up a sound file that says "You are on Red team" or "You are on Blue team" to the player at the beginning of the round? The text message printed to the screen is so smalll at higher resolutions that it is easily missed.

Offline MajorSlime

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 08:08:49 PM »
Hmm, could be possible.

As for the percentages/couldn't capture, I actually haven't run into that problem before. From what it sounds like, either you somehow weren't on a team (the less likely scenario), or the continual script for point capturing that supposed to run at all times stopped (more likely). I have no idea why it would happen, but since you both left and then you re-entered, the server reset the map, causing a complete restart, and starting the script up again.

Also, you can always press \ ingame to get a scoreboard that tells you what team you're on. (The switching is because it randomly picks a team for you every time a new game starts).

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting