Author Topic: Discussion Topic  (Read 19917 times)

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Capture Point Maps
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
I sort of like the idea of an autobalance script but you'll need to fix that so that it doesn't keep punting a single player from team to team -- that doesn't happen if its 7 v 6 or something right?

Also we'll need to test that.... and I'd want it to be optional triggered through a server variable, defaulting to off, because I think it should be up to the server hosts whether to use it or not. Sometimes it's advantageous to have uneven teams if one set of players is better than another.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 03:31:25 AM »
I just noticed your post >_<

It doesn't punt people. At least it SHOULDN'T. It should only change on Entering - joining from spectating, or the beginning of a new game. I've never had that happen to me - have you? I know Boingo said something about it ingame, but at the time I thought he was talking about the fact that your team can change every new game (see below).

As for the autobalancing... that script only exists because for some reason Zandronum wouldn't let you choose a team - "Can't change team during campaign" - even though it was a TeamGame. In fact, you couldn't even join the game by choosing Red or Blue (like joining a CTF game), meaning you couldn't join the game at all. It's weird and I have no idea how to fix it. You can always use the Switch Teams option under the Multiplayer menu though; it seems to work.

I suppose I can have a spawn room for first entering with colored alcoves for the team, so you can choose it. Let me know if you want that.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 08:56:27 PM »
I thought I saw it do it to me when I joined the server myself but I'm starting to doubt it,

I honestly don't remember, sorry... you might just have to disregard that, I didn't write it down and I've got a lot going on right now.

The game not offering you teams when you join doesn't make any sense... I really thought that worked with ACS_TeamGame; it worked for the old capture point map, I wonder why it doesn't work here?

There's probably some extra setting you need to set in the server (something like teamplay true, teamgame, <map restart> ?) to make it a ACS team game that I'm not remembering.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:58:13 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 09:20:16 PM »
IDK. It actually might work fine. I remember the Switch Teams option not even working when I tested, but I tested without a server when it was doing that, so that might be it.

The second map is coming along nicely though :) I've got almost an entire half of it done, which I can just copy/paste and mirror on the other side when it is.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
Glad CP02 is coming along, keep up the good work and this should be a lot of fun

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 05:58:38 AM »
Progress!

First things first, news of CPS02. I would post a screenie, but its hating me currently... In any case, CPS02 is done. Its kind of a high resource intensive map due to a lot of 3d floors, so only those with good hardware can play it. I plan on making a few maps like this, but not many, so that most maps can be played by everyone.

In other news, I managed to turn the entirety of the scripts for Capture Points into a library. What does this mean? It means its ridiculously easy to set up your own maps, and that I only have to change one section of code when the scripts need to be fixed for any reason. All you do is have ' #import "CPLIB.acs" ' at the top of your maps acs, and then use a couple of functions to define the locations and details of the points, such as defineCapturePoint(), defineChange(), and defineConnection(). These define a new capture point, define an aesthetic change when a capture point changes hands, and define a pre-requisite point for another point, in the same order. I will change the OP eventually to include a small tutorial for those that are interested.

I also changed the team selection so that you spawn in a room where you select your team by walking into colored arches. This replaces the auto-balancing team selection script that was previously in place.

Not much more new than that, I think.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
Sounds good so far, still not sure why the built in team selection wasn't working

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
I thought I'd post an image of CPS02, since I finally managed to get one XD

Also, of a note, I keep noticing that the spoiler tags are backwards when you create one via button. Like, (/spoiler)(spoiler) vs (spoiler)(/spoiler). Also, it creates unnecessary /size tags that mess up. I should probably report this in that post where your supposed to report things...

Sorry 'bout the large image, couldn't get the spoilers to work for some reason... (couldn't get it to open)

Also, dropbox images are REALLY hard to get a link to >_<
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 04:44:11 PM by ChexMaster2109 »

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 71
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
The spoiler tag button works normally for me. What exactly are you doing when they mess up?

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »
Idk, I just click. Its been happening to me for a while.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:48 PM »
I use imgur for images and I highly recommend it

Also when I take that link apart part of it is https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Screenshots/CPS02_01.png which gives me a 403 error; are you sure this is a file you're sharing publicly or something? I don't use dropbox, so I'm not sure.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »
It is publicly shared, but don't ask me about the exact link. I really have no idea what link it is; i just tried a bunch until I found one that worked. Is the picture showing up for you guys?

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
It's just a blank space for me unfortunately

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »
Here's a direct link to the picture then. I hope it works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/62eemcwaz7hb9n6/CPS02_01.png

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
it works, it looks good

EDIT - I'm home until Wednesday if you want to test it. I might be able to find some time
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 01:50:19 PM by 75 »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting