Author Topic: Discussion Topic  (Read 19918 times)

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: Capture Point Maps
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »
Obviously you have the wrong time period. I said 4-6 PM PACIFIC. That is in literally 5 minutes. 4-6 PM PST is also 7-9 PM EST, or East Coast time. I'm just about to hop in myself.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
Okay, I'm in EST.

Will you be in CPS01?
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
Re: Capture Point Maps Discussion
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2014, 09:36:53 PM »
Updated the WAD. Should be updated on the server too. Tweaked a couple things, etc. I'll post a full changelog in the OP, as well as redo the OP to provide more info now that this is semi-released.

EDIT: I'm changing this to the Discussion topic. I'll create a new topic for the official info.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:42:43 PM by ChexMaster2109 »

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 121
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 11:22:17 PM »
Anyone available right now? I'll be in by myself regardless
EDIT: It works pretty well, and the map (CPS04) seems really well done, but the text that's supposed to point out which the next point to capture is seems... a little buggy. It flickers and doesn't immediately go to where it should be. Although it could just be my high ping. And I thought it was a nice touch how the map gradually changes color as the points get captured, instead of just the points turning colors.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:32:44 PM by noob1234 »

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
I'm availible.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »
Hey, so I had less time than I thought; regardless, I'll be available Wednesday evening.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »
Like; what time zone are you in? cause I Am in EST And I wanna know what time you are playing.

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2014, 12:08:05 AM »
Pacific, so 3 hours behind. I'm available pretty much anytime after 2pm (5pm eastern)

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2014, 05:27:49 AM »
Yes, I know the text is buggy, its a long standing bug that i'm still trying to fix. :P

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2014, 10:24:29 AM »
Pacific, so 3 hours behind. I'm available pretty much anytime after 2pm (5pm eastern)
Okay, well I have stuff almost ALL EVENING Wendsday, So Maybe I'm availible after 2:00 PST Wendsday?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:32:31 PM by Awesomedude249 »

Offline Nisk

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »
Four friends and I tried out these maps a few days ago. Some comments:

-If you're standing in the capture zone and the percentage is being displayed, it's not necessary and a bit confusing for it to also display the "Goal" text for that point.

-CPS02: There was definitely lag which interfered with gameplay whenever you were in the main open area. I'm not really sure what to suggest though considering how big and open the map is.

-CPS05:
The only map we got a good long game out of because everyone was messing around and switching teams on the first 3. I really enjoyed the feel of it with all the moving parts and such. The slime floors were a bit bothersome though. If there's a way to escape (other than from the highest level with the ultra rapid zorcher), none of us could find it. I think there should either be a way to escape, or the lower levels of slime should kill you instantly or a lot quicker because it's frustrating having to wait around to die or bring up the console to kill yourself.

Also, the round ended in a stalemate. It was me and one other person on the red team vs three on the blue team and we ended up fighting for control of the three points closest to the red base for a good 15-20 minutes before we had to go. Even though my teammate and I could both typically win in a one-on-one battle with an opponent, it was simply impossible for two of us to maintain control of three points against three opponents. I think bringing down the number of capture points necessary to advance when there are less than a certain number of players might be a solution, but I think it should be tested both ways some more first. That might be a possible problem on other maps too, but like I said, we only played seriously on this one.

I would love to help test these some more. Contact me on Steam (username Nisk) if anyone wants to start a game.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
- Ah, that's a good point. I'll have to update that for the next release.

- Yeah.... CPS02 is a really resource-intensive map. I'm not going to remove it, but I can't tone down that resource-intensity without completely destroying its current feel. So its going to stay in, but with a warning. I plan to have a HUB, so that HUB will have a warning on the map, and people can vote to skip it via Zandronum voting if its unplayable for them. I'm not going to make another map like it XD

- There isn't supposed to be any way to escape the lower slime pits, but a quicker death is a good idea. I might just make it insta-kill.

- 75 also mentioned that he thought things might end in stalemates. I personally thought it might be better with more people, but now I'm not so sure. I probably will have to tone down point numbers. Which makes me sad because that map was specifically built for that number of points. :(  It'll probably have to go to two points in each row. I'll have to figured something else out to occupy the middle areas.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »
As I've mentioned before, I don't think there's a problem with having a large number of points, but I'm really concerned about having several points in a row (i.e., having too many points that can be captured on the same tier), I can see it being extremely hard for people to both defend and capture 3 points at the same time.

if I recall correctly TF2 had a maximum of 2 point choices at a time and the two points were spread out, but TF2 isn't the best comparison because the gameplay is totally different.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »
I think its actually a decent comparison here. I don't think more than two points on the same tier is going to work, sadly. I think I'm actually going to put a large Reactor Core / Pillar thing in replace of the middle points near the two bases, which will create some interesting cover from the railzorchers.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »
Probably the most important differences are that you can't quickly go from one end of the map to another and players are much, much easier to kill in TF2 (players have less health relative to the damage weapons do).

Players in Doom are fast and have a lot of health.

in TF2 if I do it right, I can stop a group of 8 people from capturing, in Doom, no way (unless I have a BFG). By time time I finish running after somebody with a SLZ or RZ, 3 more people have come. That's if I don't get zorched in the process.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting