Author Topic: Here Is Something Interesting  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 68
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Here Is Something Interesting
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
I was out downtown ealier, and I thought I spotted some activity in Market Square. I assumed it meant Market Square was open early this year, so I went to take a look.

As it turns out, Market Square is being used as a set for a movie being directed by Guillermo del Toro, called "Crimson Peak", and has been covered in dirt and horse manure and has a bunch of wooden stalls, barrels, and other such stuff set up in it. Apparently, crews have been setting up Market Square for the last week and filming is supposed to take place overnight, after which all the stuff will be removed and Market Square will be returned to normal. The entire scene that takes place there is only supposed to be about five minutes long.

Market Square on the back side of City Hall. The front side of City Hall was used as New Orleans City Hall for several scenes in another movie, Vendetta, starring Christopher Walken, back in 1998.

Offline chekovrules

• Is a feelings hurter and helper
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 41
  • I'm Commander Shepard
    • Chekovrules' YouTube Channel
Re: Here Is Something Interesting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:58:34 PM »
Huh, that's cool.
I'M A FRIGGIN' GIRL! MARRIED TO XBOLT! WHO IS A GUY! XD

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
On a related note ...

Tomorrow (April 18) is the 174th anniversary of the great fire that destroyed most of Kingston's downtown.

Today Kingston is known as "The Limestone City" because of the large number of limestone buildings downtown, but back in 1840 all the buildings were wood.

Anyway, on April 18, 1840 a fire broke out on a dock near City Hall.  Without modern firefighting equipment the fire quickly spread to some ships, a bakery, and a warehouse.

There was a little problem with that warehouse.

You see there was a guy who happened to be the owner of 100 barrels of gunpowder. Normally, gunpowder could only be legally stored in a proper powder magazine for obvious safety reasons, but the guy was cheap and didn't want to pay the fees for storing the gunpowder properly ...

... so he stored it in a warehouse.

Anyway, you can do the math.

Fire + 100 barrels of gunpowder = X

Solve for X.

So the warehouse was blasted to splinters and all the wooden buildings in a three or four block radius received a shower of flaming debris.

When the smoke finally cleared, most of downtown Kingston was gone, including City Hall and the buildings in Market Square.

The city did own much of the land in the devastated area, and was able to insist that the new replacement buildings be built out of limestone in order to reduce the threat of fire in the future, and hence Kingston came to be known as "The Limestone City".

It is funny that the movie production this week transformed Market Square into an appearance very much like what it would have looked like when it was destroyed 174 years ago this week.

{{EDIT: Newspaper clipping from the period}}
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:19:07 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:26:45 AM »
Necromancy on Hallowe'en?

Say it ain't so!

Anyway, I have an update.

I just went to see Crimson Peak, and you know what?

Buffalo New York looks a lot like King Street!

It was not much more than an establishing shot.  City Hall looks the same, but they redid the skyline to get rid of the newer buildings, changed the rooftops of the buildings along the street adjacent to Market Square, and redid the signage on them, including changing the name of The Bank of Montreal (chiseled into the stone of the building itself) to something else.  There also appeared to be a few extra CG buildings in the background, that, if they were real, would be sitting in Lake Ontario.

There was also another brief street scene that was obviously King Street

It was fun to see.

{EDIT: If you want to know what Kingston City Hall looks like from the rear, looking across through Market Square from King Street, then here you go ...

https://fsmedia.imgix.net/ae/83/81/31/528c/4d48/8841/b4e1896571b1/b167d513-35fa-404a-9a2f-23a868f995b7.png?rect=0,38,1499,750&dpr=1&auto=format&q=75

To see the front of City Hall from Ontario Street, check out this shot from the movie, Vendetta ...

https://d38ls2kcjnhfdj.cloudfront.net/5a039204-9365-43ec-bb7d-7043935f8007_d.jpg

Of course in Vendetta City Hall is supposed to be in New Orleans, proving that Buffalo and New Orleans are less than 100 metres apart! }
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 02:39:26 AM by Boingo the Clown »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting