Author Topic: Game Idea: "Suicide" Deathmatch  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 67
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Game Idea: "Suicide" Deathmatch
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
I made up this game at least five years ago while playing Quake III as a change from normal deathmatch, but I forgot about it until today. It was great fun, and I thought it might be worth trying to replicate it in CQ or DooM.

The game is called "Suicide" or "Suicidal" Deathmatch and the rules are very simple.

1. One player is designated as being "suicidal" at the beginning of the game. (In Quake III I had to explain the game to other players, so I usually ended up as the sucidal player.)

2. The other players may not shoot each other. They may only shoot at the suicidal player. Frags on other players do not count.

3. The suicidal player does not shoot at the other players.  Instead, he must dodge the other players for a period of ten seconds. After the ten seconds is complete, the suicidal player must then attempt to commit suicide.  In Quake III, many of the levels have bottomless areas that cause instant death, so I would dodge the other players for the count of ten, then run over to the side and jump into the bottomless pit. DooM and CQ do not have an equivalent, but I am certain we can rig something up.

4. If any of the players hunting the suicidal player reaches the frag limit, that player wins.

5. If the suicidal player reaches the negative equivalent of the frag limit (successful suicides), he wins.

It was a little make-shift game I made up on the fly and only played for a few days, but I remember having a lot of fun playing it.

If there is someone who would like to come up with a mod that will allow everything to work automatically, such as keeping count of suicides, and creating instant kill areas, that would be great.  Please do it.  After seeing the capture point maps, I am certain it can be done.

Also, since I made up the rules of the game, please don't forget to credit me.  Thanks.  :)

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Game Idea: "Suicide" Deathmatch
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: Game Idea: "Suicide" Deathmatch
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:30:34 PM »
It would actually be quite easy to rig this up with some ACS. I might do it sometime here when I feel like doing some more scripting. The "suicide" person could be given a propulsor after a count of ten.

EDIT: working on it, but ran into an issue. I can't figure out a way to change an individual player's frags. Also, I have no idea how to tell who zorched who (this is imperative, as we want normal players only getting points if they get the suicider). 75, if you know either, help? :P

EDIT2: worked on it some more, changed it to a team game. Blue team has to kill the red suicider. Still don't know how to increase frags though. I can increase a team's score count, but thats not the same thing as frags for TDM's case.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:34:39 AM by ChexMaster2109 »
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 31
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »
CM, Can I make a map for this?
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 06:36:37 PM »
No. Short answer: This simply works on any existing deathmatch/zorchmatch map. You don't need to make new maps.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
Ok. i just wanted to make a new map. I felt like making some.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 27
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
It would actually be quite easy to rig this up with some ACS. I might do it sometime here when I feel like doing some more scripting. The "suicide" person could be given a propulsor after a count of ten.

EDIT: working on it, but ran into an issue. I can't figure out a way to change an individual player's frags. Also, I have no idea how to tell who zorched who (this is imperative, as we want normal players only getting points if they get the suicider). 75, if you know either, help? :P

EDIT2: worked on it some more, changed it to a team game. Blue team has to kill the red suicider. Still don't know how to increase frags though. I can increase a team's score count, but thats not the same thing as frags for TDM's case.

Here's how I'd do it:

Game mode: Teamgame (AKA ACS Team game)
pointlimit 1

Have 2 teams, one player on one team, and everybody else on the other. Have the suicide player team have no guns or guns that don't do any damage to the other team using player classes (I'm not sure how to do it, Zombie Horde and GvH do it, though)

Store the player number of the player that you put on the other team in a global variable.

use http://zdoom.org/wiki/PlayerFrags to find how many frags the suicide player has, if the number of frags that player has is <= -10, award one point to the "suicide player" team, causing the game to end in that team's favor

Check the frags of every OTHER player, if any player has > 10 frags, award one point to the other team, causing the game to end in their favor

Probably the best way to do that is to make that frag check one for loop and check to see if the current iteration is the suicide player

Ok. i just wanted to make a new map. I felt like making some.

I'd recommend that you just start drawing DM layouts, worst case scenario you'll have your own pack.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:06:56 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »
Probably going to have to do it that way. Most of that is already setup; just trying to get it to work with TDM. Essentially, I was trying to figure out a way to set the suiciders frag count at the amount needed to win once it passed below that amount * -1. I just have no idea how one would change the frag count. I can retrieve it, with PlayerFrags() as you pointed out, just don't know how to set it. :P And I don't see why you'd need to make sure the suicider doesn't have any weapons that harm. If he gets a frag with his weapons, it just increases his score instead of decreasing. He'd want to not do that :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:01:19 PM by ChexMaster2109 »

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:16:23 AM »
I would prefer that the suicidal player not commit suicide via weapons, but rather using pits or something like that for suicides. That would add more of a challenge to the suicidal player. After the ten second are up, the player would have to get to where he can kill himself.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 27
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »
And I don't see why you'd need to make sure the suicider doesn't have any weapons that harm. If he gets a frag with his weapons, it just increases his score instead of decreasing. He'd want to not do that :P

It's true that it wouldn't be to his benefit, but then again "If you're REALLY good at DM and you play on the suicider team the game will never end" might make some trolls come in for a challenge
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
LOL, yeah might happen.

@Boingo: That would require actually making maps specifically for the gametype. The way i'm currently doing it is to make a modifier that automatically applies to any normal DM/ZM map. The pit/etc. idea would have to be a slightly different gametype that had its own special maps.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
BUMP!

I was just chatting with Awesomedude, and it reminded me of this.

ChexMaster2109: Did you ever have any luck coming up with a version of this?

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 04:42:02 PM »
I had an idea similar to this, where one team is flemoids, the other team is chex warriors, they have to switch each other before 100 seconds runs out.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »
You should make that a project.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »
I just need to add a timer to deathmatch, make an alternate death for the chex warriors that isn't zorch, and then add a flemoid skin. I know how to do the alternate death and flemoid skin, but I'm nowhere near knowing how to use scripting yet, so the timer would be hard.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting