Author Topic: To Do List  (Read 1922 times)

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
To Do List
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:58:40 AM »
This is my big ToDo list. I will keep all the stuff that needs to be done in here, and you guys can reply with more ideas if you want.

Severe Importance / Error
High Importance / First Order of Business
Will Get Around to Eventually
If I'm Bored In the Future and There's Nothing Else to Do

In Progress

Fixed/Complete - Sure of It
Fixed/Complete - Untested

CPS01 - Warehouse Warfare
CPS02 - Frozen Chasml
CPS03 - Flow Control
CPS04 - Downtown Rumble
CPS05 - The Foundry
CPS06 - Waste Reclamation
CPS07 - King of the Pillar
  • Play around with more weapon choices (IE, grenade launcher)
  • FYI, this will most likely be a Chex specific map, and not be ported to Doom with the rest. Reason being: it was a lot simpler to make modified weapons for Chex, and a lot more plausible. I don't want to go through the hassle of making similar weapons for Doom
CPSHUB
  • Add clientside and serverside configuration 'vendors'
  • Allow teamfights
Other
  • New Font So Fancy I gave up on this. My Font looked like crap.
  • Create Fancy HUD Point Status Graphics
  • Eventually port to Doom
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:01:17 PM by ChexMaster2109 »
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Chex Quest Fan Forums

To Do List
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:58:40 AM »

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
Re: To Do List
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:08:37 PM »
Good idea to make a todo list topic; here are my suggestions from last night:

General:

I think the "GOAL" text color is always red (even if it's 20% towards a "blue" capture), it's kind of confusing.

Also maybe keep the DANGER text orange but show the percentage text as red or blue depending who is "winning" the point.

Possibly remove "team selection" rooms, it might fix that phantom mini zorcher giving problem (I think that could very well be causing it, I bet "ENTER" and "RESPAWN" are triggered at the wrong time.

If you keep the team select rooms at least remove guns from team selection rooms.

Some maps switch to the spoon on spawn instead of a large zorcher, change the order of your GiveInventory's so that doesn't happen

CPS01: Seems good so far, need to see more players on it

CPS02: Crashes (zandronum problem)

CPS03: Remove spawns near bases, I'd recommend just having one and the rest in the middle

CPS04: Not completely sold on the layout on this one yet, need to see with more players

CPS05: maybe make the middle point teleporters up high, and possibly teleport (no stop) so that you can run from one side to the other regardless of whether the platform is raised or lowered.

This might be balanced because if the platform is lowered you'll be somewhat vulnerable, might balance it out a bit... experiment with teleport and teleport (no stop), see what works best.

Remove the rail zorcher from the island in the middle of the slime (railzorchers are common now), put something better there, I'm tempted to say BFG but considering the large amount of cells on this map that might be a very, very bad idea. Maybe a breakfast.

CPS06: Remove the slime spawn, remember that player starts ignore z height

CPS07: Remove minizorcher if you possibly can (that thing is terrible in that map), possibly high impact grenades, maybe increase blast radius of rockets?

CPSHUB:

Please add LABELS below the map pictures that say something like "CPS04: Foundry", see DUELHUB in chex pack for an example if you need one.

Also, maybe add a warning to CPS02 right in front of the picture for people who don't have great computers, "OPENGL ONLY AND GPU INTENSIVE" should do it.

Strange glitches in software from colored lighting, probably nothing you can do

Even though your hub level is nice I think it's too complicated...  I suggest making a separate map for your "lounge"... a quote from Combinebobnt that I agree with: "Hub levels should just be lines".

Even a box is too complex for the task at hand, the most efficient and least confusing way to pick a map is to just have a single straight hallway with all the maps in it, while your hub looks nice, remember that people who get distracted will slow down and stop matches which will annoy people who want to play.

In my opinion lounges like this are only good hub maps in small servers where you know everybody, I think it will be bad for public 24/7 servers.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:39:06 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »
The entire HUB layout is needed, because of the custom config settings that can be changed down in the 'lounge' area. Its hard to explain, but you'll probably get it once its done.

The DANGER text only goes one direction; From your point to neutral. Going up from neutral is normal and not orange. Therefore color for the percentage is not needed.

The starting with a spoon is also a weird Zand bug; on the same map i've sometimes spawned with LZ first and sometimes with spoon first. I noticed that most of the time, if I had the spoon selected when I died, i'd start with it selected when I respawned.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »
The DANGER text only goes one direction; From your point to neutral. Going up from neutral is normal and not orange. Therefore color for the percentage is not needed.

You're right, I put a strike through that. I still think a color change is needed for GOAL on grey points, though.

The starting with a spoon is also a weird Zand bug; on the same map i've sometimes spawned with LZ first and sometimes with spoon first. I noticed that most of the time, if I had the spoon selected when I died, i'd start with it selected when I respawned.

I think Zand has a hard time with the team select rooms... those temporary starts, does it run ENTER and RESPAWN scripts there? Maybe it runs the giveinventory script there and is hard coded (?) to give the default player class weapons when you choose a team? I'm not sure. It wouldn't be the strangest thing I've ever seen.

However I have had good luck with specifying the order of weapons given through GiveInventory() in my fast ZM maps, Zorch! as well as a few other maps that I've worked on in the past. It really seems to me that it's those team select rooms somehow.. I can vouch that it works in Duel and DM.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:42:02 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »
The issue I mentioned happened on the HUB, where there is no team select. Also, a bit busy right now, but I'll add the rest to the To Do list later.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
Also, I'm going to revamp the whole color system as soon as I finish the new custom font I'm working on.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:43:34 AM »
Something random I forgot, maybe restore the old CPS07 from a couple betas ago as a 1v1 / joke map? It was fun and unique with 2 players (any more and it was sort of out of control, though).

Also, combinebobnt rebalanced the BFG 10K for mspd, maybe a rapid fire, PROJECTILE (NOT Hitscan like the original) explosive weapon would be a good knockback variant on the liquid zorcher for CPS07? Maybe if it didn't have a ton of ammo or used rockets (maybe 5 per shot or more)?

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Local Moderator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
Whelp, I've been working on CPS a bit, and managed to tackle quite a bit of the ToDo list, as you can see above. I gave up on the new Font, because I completely misunderstood how Doom Fonts worked, and after testing it it looked crappy. (I know a lot more about how they work now, but don't feel like giving it another go XD). However, I did implement a *slightly* better color system, as you'll see in the next update, as well as tackled a bunch of small stuff.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting