Strife maps don't like gzdoom 2.8pre

Started by Danfun64, September 12, 2014, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danfun64

Using a git build of gzdoom, I tried playing the strife maps with TUCQR6. I couldn't change weapons properly, and the new enemies were having a spaz attack (no offense to you british).

Ironically, TUCQR5 as a pwad to doom.wad ran better. The first problem was nonexistent. The second problem remained.

Here is a video of the second problem

noob1234

Considering Strife hasn't been active in forever, I doubt this will ever be addressed :P
Although someone could make an unofficial patch if they wanted... Looks like a case of sprite botching to me but IDK

xbolt

Well, Strife's maps were designed for Doom Legacy. I don't know if it could be GZDoom problems with it.

noob1234

Right! Derp. Yeah, that would do it... And probably not easily fixable...

Danfun64

Thing is, I could have sworn that map was working properly in an earlier version of (g)zdoom (maybe zandronum, idk).

Boingo the Clown

Do the Strife maps have custom weapons?

When T.U.C.Q. was in Legacy it used a DEHackEd patch, and Strife's levels likely would have too.

but

In order to get T.U.C.Q. working properly as an IWAD in GZDooM I had to redo the weapons as part of the DECORATE lump, and define the weapon slots.  I am pretty sure that would break any weapons using DEHackEd. In fact, I found that weapons created in DEHacKed were not being selected, because GZDooM was ignoring them in favour of the DECORATE versions.  For example, in (the current unreleased versio of) DeiMWolf (uses the same sorts of changes as T.U.C.Q.) there was a problem with switching weapons. If I picked up the MP40 I could not select it. Eventually I discovered it was because the pickup was being applied to the DEHackEd version of the weapon, but I was only able the switch between the DECORATE versions.  If the Strife levels are using DEHackEd based custom weapons, this is probably what is happening.

Danfun64

Adding dehacked patch strife_levelpack.wad:DEHACKED
Script error, "gzdoom.pk3:dehsupp.txt" line 318:
Invalid state range in 'LostSoul'

Boingo the Clown

Maybe Strife was trying to do the same sort of nonstandard hacking I was doing in Legacy.

Legacy did not have the DECORATE lump, but it did hide the Heretic tables below the DooM tables, and I got things working by hacking those tables.

If Strife tried the same, that would cause the error you experienced.

Danfun64

I tested the wad with zandronum 1.2.2 and it works perfectly. Tested it in zandronum 2 build 140112-1124 and it's broken again. Must be a change in zdoom 2.5

Boingo the Clown

I am afraid  I am unable to fix the problem then.

I recomend you try playing with T.U.C.Q. Phase II beta 3 and DooM Legacy v 1.42.

Replica

I remember Strife having a double shotgun. (A large Zorcher in each hand), but that's all the weapons I can remember.

I'm pretty sure he did some crazy dehacked stuff in his levels. Those spider flemoids he had were originally the doom barrel if I recall correctly. I would imagine that there is a good chance he had some heretic edits in there too.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Awesomedude249

How the heck does he mix this stuff?!?!? He has to tell me his secrets!!!

Probably just using some DECORATE and DeHackED stuff.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

No DECORATE, that only exists in zdoom.

It's not necessary to "mix" stuff in zDoom/Zandronum, since you can declare actors from scratch rather than re-using frames.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Awesomedude249

Oh, sorry. I didn't know decorate wasn't in GZDooM. I don't do hardly any GZDooM.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

MajorSlime

... No, DECORATE is in GzDoom; GzDoom is based off of zDoom. DECORATE is not in Legacy.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.