Author Topic: What Happens Next? (Story Thread)  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 67
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
What Happens Next? (Story Thread)
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
This is a collaborative story thread.

I am not a moderator on this forum (as far as I know), but I will try to act as a moderator in this thread.  If I see a post or group of posts that breaks the rules outlined below or is otherwise detrimantal to the thread, I will add my own post telling future posters to disregard (ignore) the offending post(s), and continue the story from the post before it/them.  This is especially true of dueling stories.

Here are the Rules:

Posters will take turns adding to the story, ending each post with "What happens next?"

Each poster is obliged to continue the story from where the last poster left off.

NO DUELING STORIES!

I have seen a number of story threads turn into something like this ...
1337dude1987: Johnny was atacked by ninjas!

Porker_127: The ninjas were blown up by vampire unicorns, who immediately went after Johnny.

1337dude1987: But the ninjas were only playing dead.  They killed the vampire unicorns and continued their attack on Johnny.

Porker_127: Johnny realized the ninjas were just an illusion created by the vampire unicorns to confuse him. The vampire unicorns were all around him!

1337dude1987: Until the ninjas slit their throats and continued their attack.

et cetera

... and it always ruins the threads. 

Dueling stories will not be tollerated, and will be immediately disregarded.

If a post sends the story in a direction you weren't hoping for, don't try to contradict that post and send it back in the direction you wanted.  Just go with it instead.  Some of the most fun story threads I have ever been a part of have been ones where the posters just went with the twists. (i.e. There was a story thread on the NewDooM forums where we went to fight demons in an APC, but one of our guys ended up unconscious in the hospital, the APC was blown up in the hospital parking lot, one of our guys turned out to be an alien in disguise, and we all ended up in a high speed chase, running from the demons in a Winnipeg transit bus!)

You may not double post ... UNLESS the thread has been inactive for a week or more since your last post. (The rule is to prevent the story from being dominated by one person, and the exception is to prevent the thread from going inactive for too long a time.)

Suggestion: The story does not have to last forever. If the story seems like it has reached its third act, feel free to kind of nudge it along towards its conclusion.  This does not means saying "Joe blew up. The end."  or something similar.  Anything like that will just get disregarded.  Instead, give dialogue or actions that will help in leading to a logical conclusion. 

Keep it friendly.

Suggestion: Be creative, but try to keep post in the context of what has been written so far.  If Joe has spent 23 pages exploring a western town, then suddenly gets abducted by aliens, it might be a little much.

Try to keep the posts relatively short (shorter than this post at least) to keep things moving along.

NOTE: I may create additional rules in the future if they are needed.

Some quick and dirty background

The story is about Joe, a sixteen-year old student at Montague High School.  Although Joe has decent grades, most of his teachers agree he is underperforming.  They believe he is actually smarter than his grades indicate, and they are probably right. Joe is shy and aloof, but very curious and inquisitive.  If the Scooby Doo team ever needed another guy, he would probably be it.  He is generally inept in his dealings with girls, but has become close friends with Heidi (see below).  Joe looks a lot like Jason Bateman.

Joe's best friend is Steve. They have known each other since the third grade. Steve is fit, and has tried out for the football team every year, but has never made it in.  He has been accepted on the track and field team for the last two years however, and is extremely good at long distance running and the shot put. He looks more or less like Zackery Ty Bryan.

Joe has a friend/possible girlfriend named Heidi.  Joe and Heidi have known each other for a few years, and have dated a few times, but they have never decided whether they are boyfirend and girlfriend, or just friends.  Heidi is fifteen years old and looks a lot like Kirsten Dunst at the same age.

Feel free to add any new characters as needed.

Montague High School is in a small town called Hillside.

Where is Hillside?

Well ... its is either in California ... or Minnisota ... or Ontario ... or Colorado ... or British Columbia ... or New York state ... or Essex ... or the Northern Territory ... or the South Island ... or Bavaria ... or Hawaii ... or Cumberland ... or Southern France ... or somewhere.

I think you get the point.  The location of Hillside is not really important.

Get this thing started already!

With all the babbling so far, this thing is already the length of a novel!

Anyway ...

Hit by the late autumn air, Joe huddled deeper into his jacket.  His mother had warned him to wear something warmer and Joe had railed against her, insisting his light jacket was more than enough.  Now he knew she was right, and he was paying the price for not listening to her.  He was cold and misserable.  The cold damp air bit through the flimsy cloth and prickled his skin, and his neck was raw from the wind.  Still, he hated to admit when he was wrong, and would never let his mother know, even if it meant having to walk to school in the thin little jacket again tomorrow.

Yellow leaves fell through grey skies into wet piles along the streets.  Joe kicked through the leaves as he slowly sauntered along the margin of the road.  The moisture quickly soaked through the toes of his shoes, making him feel even more misserable.

Only six blocks to go.

Montague High was an odd sort of building. It was a relic of the 1940s, a time when governments hurriedly tried to build new facilities for the families of soldiers returning from war. It was neither pretty, nor particularly well built. Its plain and boxy orange brick exterior stood out noticeably against the tall, large-corniced Edwardian buildings that surrounded it. A large jagged white line of fresh motar slithered its way up the corner of its face where the old mortar had cracked as the building settled and had been repointed, the ancient window frames were caked with decades worth of paint, and the front stair railing, although freshly painted black at the beginning of the school year, was already covered in deep scratches, exposing the orange paint from last year, and the yellow from the year before. 

Outside the road was snarled as it usually was this time of morning with the automobiles of parents who didn't trust their children to walk alone.  The young teens stood on the thin strip of grass between the orange brick fascade and the street, waving goodbye and receiving well wishes before finding their friends and hurrying inside.

Joe arrived as the last of the cars cleared away.

A bell rang.

8:30

Another ten minutes and Joe would be officially late.  He climbed the metal stairs to the main doors and headed inside.  His pace quickened on his way to his locker.  He had already been late twice in the last two months, and he knew that with his third strike the principal would be calling home.

Joe dialed his combination.

The lock clicked open and Joe removed it from the door.  He turned the handle and opened the locker.

What happens next?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:10:27 PM by Boingo the Clown »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

What Happens Next? (Story Thread)
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 31
  • I'm not really sure.
Re: What Happens Next? (Story Thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
Joe blew up. The end.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 67
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Re: What Happens Next? (Story Thread)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
Disregarded, obviously.

Continue from the previous post.