The licensing of Chex Quest 3's game logic.

Started by Danfun64, October 01, 2014, 05:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danfun64

I am curious as to the licensing of chex quest 3's game logic. Is the DECORATE code in cq3 under any license? It would be impossible for something like a breakfest trek 3 to be made without the DECORATE code being gpled or under a different type of free license.
Nonfree game logic and scripts not included in the gpl source code release is the reason why a doom 3 equivalent of freedoom or open arena will never happen for at least a hundred years.

edit: fixed major typo. Added more details

I wouldn't worry about Chex3's DECORATE, most of the actors inherit from base Doom actors and barely modify their definitions past id's original designs, which are included in zDoom's zDoom.pk3 (GPL). Not to mention it would be highly impractical and fruitless to try to enforce a non-GPL version of a game that only runs on a GPL engine.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Loremaster

Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that it would inherit the license of the main code, which would be GPL license, since it would be a derivation of the original GPL source.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

redtomatoz

Information is posted on been very good. The information that we keep up the very good lot.