Author Topic: October Chat Room Party - Contest!  (Read 5602 times)

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 13
October Chat Room Party - Contest!
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
October Chat Room Party!
Date: Friday, October 31, 2014
Start Time: 9:00 PM EST, 8:00 PM CST, 7:00 PM MST, 6:00 PM PST
End Time: 11:00 PM EST, 10:00 PM CST, 9:00 PM MST, 8:00 PM PST

To kick off the fall season, I have scheduled a chat room party for the above mentioned date.  There will be a contest.  (FYI: There will be at least one other contest for the fall season.)  It will be a contest to help revitalize the forum.  The rules are simple.  Each person who wishes to participate in the contest must post at least one new, original topic on the forum with the intent of it becoming one of our popular, re-occurring topics.  You are welcome to post as many new topics as you want, in any section that you want (posting more will increase your chances of hitting big).  The topic that is most popular by the end of the party will be the winner, and the creator will receive a prize.  You are welcome to post in your topic(s) to promote conversation, though double posting will not be allowed.  In addition, you must be present in the chat room to be eligible to receive the prize.  This is a contest that will require good turn out, so I encourage you all to spread the word (even to members who don't post as much anymore).  Please RSVP in this topic, though if you don't RSVP, you are still free to pop in and participate!

The final question remaining is what is the prize?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-nintendo-2ds-with-mario-kart-7-crimson-red/9001133.p?id=1219385147929&skuId=9001133&st=nintendo%202ds&cp=1&lp=2

As you can see, the stakes are high for this contest!  So please spread the word!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:14:16 AM by Richie »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

October Chat Room Party - Contest!
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 64
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Re: October Chat Room Party - Contest!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
I am probably going to be out somewhere for Hallowe'en that night.

:(

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
I might be doing something as well... But I might be able to come later!

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »
To be honest, I had forgotten that Halloween is the same day.  If enough people wish to reschedule the party/contest, I am more than willing.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »
While I am glad you're trying, I'm not sure about this... how is counting posts after 2 hours enough time to decide whether a topic is a "popular, re-occuring topic"?

Wouldn't a Chex 3 speedrunning contest be better because then we'd get people playing the game, getting better at Chex, and learning new things about the maps / finding new tricks in their attempt to win? Maybe a prize would bring in new members?

We could even save the best times on the chex wiki for people to challenge in the future.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:19:17 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline TrueDude

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
I like the idea, but I'll likely be busy on Halloween with work and social life things. I happen to have the day before it off though.

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 30
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »
Trick-or-treating in my town is on the 30th...so...

Also, I think it would be best if we had a Speedmapping contest, of course, that would lower my chances of getting a 2DS, because I suck at mapping...
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »
I understand Richie's intention here, though; he wants something that will increase our (dismally low) posting activity and keep it at a higher level after the contest ends. I wish there was a better way than just "posting popular topics," but... I can't think of a better idea.

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 72
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »
It's a good idea in concept, but I agree with 75 in that just during the chat party is too short of a time to judge what will be a popular topic. Perhaps we can have a second chat party in a month or two, (Christmas party?) and gauge the winner then?

And yeah. A speedrunning/mapping contest could be a lot of fun too. Maybe a smaller prize for that?

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »
Personally, it seems that were allowed to start a topic at any point in time between now and the end of the chat party. That way, there is a fair amount of time to gauge. IDK, it just seems to me that that's what Richie is saying. Some clarification please?

But yeah, would love speedrun/mapping contest :P  Honestly, if a good map can be created and posted in the Zand or zDoom forums, it could spark some activity. Just saying.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline QuadrumpusGuy

• Quadrumpus
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
  • Croooow!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »
It's a good idea in concept, but I agree with 75 in that just during the chat party is too short of a time to judge what will be a popular topic. Perhaps we can have a second chat party in a month or two, (Christmas party?) and gauge the winner then?

And yeah. A speedrunning/mapping contest could be a lot of fun too. Maybe a smaller prize for that?
While I am glad you're trying, I'm not sure about this... how is counting posts after 2 hours enough time to decide whether a topic is a "popular, re-occuring topic"?

Wouldn't a Chex 3 speedrunning contest be better because then we'd get people playing the game, getting better at Chex, and learning new things about the maps / finding new tricks in their attempt to win? Maybe a prize would bring in new members?

We could even save the best times on the chex wiki for people to challenge in the future.

I agree with this. Would need proper DMFlags/Compatflags though and a set difficulty if speedrunning.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:30:19 PM »
Personally, it seems that were allowed to start a topic at any point in time between now and the end of the chat party. That way, there is a fair amount of time to gauge. IDK, it just seems to me that that's what Richie is saying. Some clarification please?

Reading it again, I can see what you're saying, I don't think he specified a start time.

It makes more sense if this starts "now" and goes until the 31st, but I still hope to see some sort of Chex-based contest in the future (e.g., duel tournament, speedrunning, speedmapping, chex sprite drawing (doesn't even have to be a full set, it could be like the spriting carnival where you just supply one), etc..).

By the way I won't be able to attend because at the moment on this wonderful schedule I only have time to eat, sleep, and work (groundhogday.ifocserv.net) and unfortunately chex is not one of those.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:32:51 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Richie

• Administrator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:26:50 PM »
Due to the fact that I mistakenly scheduled this on Halloween night (which rules out a lot of people), I'm closing this topic for now and will pick a new time in the coming weeks.  Just to clarify: I did intend, as others had mentioned, for it to be from here to then (as opposed to it being limited to two hours).

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting