Author Topic: The Return of Breakfast Trek!  (Read 8040 times)

Offline TrueDude

• Local Moderator
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
The Return of Breakfast Trek!
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »
And here it is! Breakfast Trek reborn! I've done a lot of work on the project in the past two weeks, mostly redoing all of the sprite assets since the original ones I made were under par and uncreative. I've been planning with my brother and we've managed to get a lot of progress done on mapping out ideas, a lot of which will be saved for the future when the project is more realized. I'm posting the project a little earlier than I planned to, so there isn't as much done as I'd like there to be. Nonetheless, here's what I have to showcase! (Note that these are still the original Chex Quest textures and they haven't been replaced yet)

All sprites are considered a WIP and could be changed or outright replaced before an alpha is released. If you're wondering what's with all of the syrup, that's what the new armor system is; the main character, a waffle person, coats themselves in it as protection against the enemies slime! And what are the new creatures going to look like, you may ask? Well, something like these perhaps...

These are very early rough drafts of the currently unnamed enemies you'll be facing in Breakfast Trek, courtesy of my brother. He'll be doing a lot if not all of the character designing for the project. The enemies will likely undergo a lot of redesigns before the sprites are created, but I figured it'd be best to show that there was something in the works regarding the development of them. The story will be similar to Chex Quests, evil aliens made of slime invading a sci-fi setting filled with people made of breakfast foods. The designs for the main characters aren't done yet. The weapons, called zippers as opposed to zorchers, also haven't really had any work done on them yet. It's all still fairly early.

Mapping still hasn't begun yet. The current plan, for the project as a whole, is to cover just the original chex.wad's contents, meaning just five maps and the basic textures, enemies, and sprites. Plans for supporting chex3.wad, chex2.wad, Doom II enemies and objects, Skulltag mod compatibility, and other things like that will be things left to the future AFTER the original campaign is completed. As of right now it hasn't even gotten close to achieving IWAD status. That is the first goal.

I have two people lined up for doing the soundtrack for the project, but work on music won't begin until later into the projects development. Sound development still hasn't begun. In regards to textures and sounds, I don't have much experience with either of them, nor do I know anyone who has. I will probably use some of arch's textures made for the project back then, but some of them I think could use some improvement or adjustment. Most if not all were just similar or nearly identical to Chex Quests, and while in a lot of the cases that is fine, I feel like there's more room for creativity. I'll have to look them over again.

In the coming weeks I hope to post more progress and create more specific threads for different aspects of the project. But for now, I leave you with all of this. Unfortunately, there's no demo to speak of quite yet, as I don't feel there's enough content to justify one. Sometime in the future, though! Hopefully in the near future.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

The Return of Breakfast Trek!
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 72
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
Re: The Return of Breakfast Trek!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
I'm loving the keg of maple syrup. XD

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:01:45 PM »
Nice sprites so far.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 64
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »
Nice!

I like it!

Is it downloadable yet?

Offline TrueDude

• Local Moderator
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys! And not quite yet Boingo, I want to get a bit more done before any kind of release is made. I'm aiming for all of the stationary sprites to be completed, potentially a weapon or two, and a couple of other things here and there, as well as IWAD status. I'll also probably redo a few things, the supercharge breakfast's sprite for example clips too far into the ground in GZDoom and will need to be redrawn most likely.

Instead of the planet Bazoik, the episode will take place on an asteroid in an asteroid belt. I just made this sky for it last night. It's also notable as I made this in PaintTool SAI. Previously, I've been using MSPaint and occasionally, for some things, IfranView for all my spriting. This upgrade should significantly speed up my progress and, once I get used to it, hopefully improve my art abilities. This would've probably taken two or three days with MSPaint, while with SAI it took about two hours, including me having difficulties adjusting to a new program I've never used.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:45:53 PM by TrueDude »

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 30
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Holy...Crap...These...Sprites...Are...Awesome...
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »
Wow. I actually really like that asteroid sky. If I might make one suggestion, I'd say group the asteroids in the sky into a line, so it actually looks like your in a belt. It would add to the cool factor.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
TrueDude, can you make, like, a TUTORIAL on how you make your sprites? Because that would be very helpful for all of us mod makers.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline TrueDude

• Local Moderator
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »
I like that idea ChexMaster, I may fiddle with the sky to see if I can get it to look better.

Awesomedude, I'm not sure how good I'd be at making a tutorial, I never was a good teacher. But, basically, most of my work is done with the free program PaintTool SAI, using the Pen, Brush, and Binary tools.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »
Hmm...Could I do it in GIMP? I have made sprites for DooM using GIMP, and I can't use PaintTool SAI because I have Linux, so.....

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 05:15:08 PM »
And also, (sorry for the double post) Can you make a palette for GIMP to use for CQ sprites? I have a GIMP palette for DooM sprites, so that I can turn real photographs into sprites.

Offline TrueDude

• Local Moderator
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
Yeah, I'd think GIMP would work about the same as SAI. Also, the Chex palette and the Doom palette are exactly the same, so you should be fine using that palette.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 05:25:16 PM »
Great! I had made some clay models of weapons I wanted to make.

I'm gonna have in my mod...

THE SUPERZORCHER!!!!

And how will I make the sprites?
I'm gonna take pictures of a Super Soaker, of course!
So watch out for those sprites!

Offline MajorSlime

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 07:01:42 PM »
Yeah, I'd think GIMP would work about the same as SAI. Also, the Chex palette and the Doom palette are exactly the same, so you should be fine using that palette.

No. No they are not. They are very much different.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 64
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »
No. No they are not. They are very much different.

The DooM palette and the Chex palette are exactly the same.  Trust me on this one.

BTW: Does anyone know how to convert a truecolour image to specific 256 colour palette (like the DooM palette) in GIMP?

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting