Author Topic: The Official CQ Graphics Topic  (Read 6381 times)

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
Re: The Official CQ Graphics Topic
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03:30 AM »
If you use the DooM palette file in GIMP you will have all the colors of the CQ and DooM palette.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 02:03:30 AM »

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 01:38:10 PM »
I can't seem to find the palette file in the internet. Please provide me with a link.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 04:16:27 PM »
www.mediafire.com/download/qe13ik9mkkn489r/Doom.gpl

Download it to your documents or whatever folder, then import the pallete file into GIMP.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 04:43:23 PM »
Thanks I am all packed up.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »
How to shade? You don't just....learn how to shade. You have to figure it out. I have one tip, though,
When shading metal, start out with a very dark gray, a little bit lighter on the inside, lighter on top of that, then repeat that until it gets to white.
Here's an example. Look at this, see how the lines get lighter as it goes in, you wanna do that.

A way I like to do it in GIMP, fill the object with solid color, use the fuzzy select tool to select that color, go to select, shrink selection, and shrink the selection by 1. Then fill that in with a slightly lighter color, shrink, slightly lighter color, and so on.
You get the idea.

That's pillow shading.

(note: the arrows in the upper left of this image show where the light appears to be coming from based on the shading)

Consider your light source (in Doom/Chex's case, always the TOP) and make the parts brighter near where the light's shining on it. Since the light doesn't come from Chexter's eyes the parts closest to him shouldn't be brightest, it should be the part the sun / lights would be shining on.

Also I highly recommend making your sprites in true color and not really worrying about the doom palette for right now.

Try to stick to highly saturated colors, avoid cyan, purple, yellow, and you should be okay
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:25:48 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »
Thanks for the example.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
Don't be afraid to use gradients, especially on metallic objects, also don't be afraid to use noise generators in GIMP, etc., even the old DOS tools had these things and you should use them if they will help you.

With that they are not "instant sprite in a can" tools, they just save you the tedious process of "color it in, select next darker color, color it in", etc.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
The shading has been hard.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
Can you show us what you have so far?

Also, I have this weapon sprite. If you use it, ask my permission, then credit me, I don't want anyone stealing my content.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
The shading has been hard.

Just throwing this out there, if you just want to test your ideas or make a non-serious mod mspaint graphics can work, especially for proof of concept stuff. MSPaintDoom is pretty popular and has some cool ideas even though all of the sprites are cartoony and simple.

In my opinion it's probably more worth your time to do something silly and experiment with how you want your weapons to function before you draw sprites for it. If you decide you want to change how the weapon functions after the sprites are done it might be a lot of work to change it.

It's hard to make a weapon sprite look good enough to fit in with the stock assets, and it' even harder to beat Chukker's stock sprites.

By the way.... just want to say this:

In my opinion the easiest way to make a mod fail is to try to do too much, for example I highly recommend that you don't go for some large scale total conversion wad that replaces all the textures, sprites, and graphics, unless you're really good at art, that's easily months of work. That would be a really hard first project, I've said this before but I recommend just picking one or two things to change (e.g., replace maps and a few sprites) while leaving the rest of the stock chex assets intact.

IMO you really need to focus on something you can actually release and test quickly right now, not something long and involved.

No offense to the authors of those wads but if you look at some of the "early development" project announcement threads you'll notice pretty quick that most of the projects that never went anywhere started out as "hey guys I want to replace everything and make some super cool alternate storyline".

As long as you keep the sprite stuff within reason you'll probably be okay, though.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:56:56 PM by 75 »

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 06:02:11 PM »
The only I will change are the maps and a few sprites. Also thanks for the advice. So first projects change a few things then the more I progress with my wads the more things I will do.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:04:44 PM by Drwalrustein »

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 06:33:16 PM »
I'm going for making a smaller version of ANQ before I get anything huge like I've planned done.

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 07:51:40 PM »
Sorry to bump on this topic but I made a very great achievement with shading I found a tutorial on paint.net telling me how to shade. Here is the finished product of a green ball where the light is coming from the lower right. So you basically use the color picker tool then you look  at the more advanced options and you lower the V value. Then you take out the gradient and move it farther so it could have a little shade to it.

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Flem Balloon (Flemoidus Hydrogenus)
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 06:50:36 PM »
Gradients are never good for shading, except for the cases of cylinders, where it is somewhat accepted. But please don't shade any other shape that way.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 07:07:34 PM »
Gradients are never good for shading, except for the cases of cylinders, where it is somewhat accepted. But please don't shade any other shape that way.

IMO, drwalrunstein has the right idea, he/she identified the direction of the light and the shading doesn't look too bad, though admittedly there's not much texture or shape to the simple shape chosen. I think it's a step in the right direction. If you compare the image Drwalrustein came up with to this photograph of mirrored sunglasses, there is some gradient-esque shading going on, combined with some more advanced stuff that's beyond my abilities to draw or explain properly. I wish I knew, that's awesome stuff... (I'm sort of an optics geek) I found this book really interesting (one of my all time favorite books) http://amzn.com/1568811829 I've been wanting to read this too for historical value... http://amzn.com/0486602052

Gradients can be pretty good for metal if you apply a bit of blur to them (it's a decent way to do metallic sheen in engines that don't support reflection, if done well). In my opinion it's also not a bad idea to visualize the light coming onto the surface of an object as a gradient, I'm not a professional artist by any means, but I find that it helps me, personally.

I'm not saying you can slap a gradient onto a complicated surface and call it done, but if your surface is cylindrical/spherical or even near cylindrical/spherical, you can get a good feel for how bright the pixels need to be on the curved surface by making a gradient where the light gets steadily darker (like the gradient) as your surface gradually angles away from the light source.

EDIT: to quote one of my earlier posts

Note how the "good" shading (which does look good) actually still looks a lot like a gradient; dithering (gradients) are totally fine, but just make sure you know and understand light so that you know what direction to use the gradient, and when your surface deviates from a sphere or cylinder, that should give you an idea of when your lighting must deviate from that nice n' steady transition from light to dark that your gradient gives. (Also note that software users stuck in 256 color land may not have the same "nice n steady" dithering you do, but it should be close, always try converting your graphics to doom format to see what they will look like, weirdos who like software rendering like me will appreciate it).

The topic I linked below on some AGS forum (used to be extremely funny, sadly, it's dying out fast) is an example of what NOT to do, and how you can't make a good graphic just by slapping gradients and filters around; this is probably the sort of thing that Nomekop is wisely telling you to avoid.

[Warning: Language]
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=40139.0

Don't shun useful tools like gradients, however... no amount of fancy effects will save these

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:50:52 PM by 75 »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting