The Magic Wall?

Started by Kanga59725, June 06, 2008, 05:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kanga59725

In E1M3: The Laboratory of The Ultimate Chex Quest, there is a wall with two glass cabinets on it that you come across during the Blue Key path. This wall has two Flemoids on the other side. Yet I am able to kill them without ever seeing them, as I can shoot through the wall, and they can shoot through the wall at me. I believe there's a problem here.

Atariangamer

Hmm. That does sound like a problem...Lemme see if I can replicate this...

Wow. I never go that way, so I never experienced that. But its true! Huh...Can you walk through it? If not, I think I know what he did:

If you can walk through it, than all he did was draw the sector and make the middle texture the one it should be, but left off the 'Impassible' tags. If you can't, he did the same thing, but left it on. Or, it could just be a glitch in the map (or engine).

I wonder if Boingo would show up and give the true answer...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Replica

A simple solution on it if its impassible, it to chose the BLOCK ALL flag on the map.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

The Slimeinator

Well, once he converts into GZDooM.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Replica

That may be a while.

edit: Welcome to the forums Kanga59725!
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Boingo the Clown

Quote from: Kanga59725 on June 06, 2008, 05:15:28 PM
In E1M3: The Laboratory of The Ultimate Chex Quest, there is a wall with two glass cabinets on it that you come across during the Blue Key path. This wall has two Flemoids on the other side. Yet I am able to kill them without ever seeing them, as I can shoot through the wall, and they can shoot through the wall at me. I believe there's a problem here.

I'm afraid that is not really my doing.  The shoot through wall is actually there from the original version of Chex Quest.  Since I am trying to leave game play as close to the original as possible, it has been left in there.

Super Chex

Hey, it seems like everyone thinks we need to change the gzdoom.pk3 file. We don't! we just need to add a few pk3's and the TUCQ wad, loaded by a .bat file.
:D :p

Atariangamer

...Uh, I"ve done that. and who said that we need to edit the gzdoom.pk3?

And what does that have to do with this magic wall?

Kanga59725

Quote from: Boingo the Clown on June 08, 2008, 11:58:32 AM
I'm afraid that is not really my doing.  The shoot through wall is actually there from the original version of Chex Quest.  Since I am trying to leave game play as close to the original as possible, it has been left in there.
Ok then. By the way, The Ultimate Chex Quest is the first DooM mod I've played ever. And when I showed it to my friend, I found out that he played it a long time ago, probably out of the Chex box. Back on topic, thanks for the explanation.

EDIT: I made the quote box very strange looking by removing his quote of me from there, and then fixed it.

Atariangamer

Thats awesome...

Well, needless to say, thats an interesting glitch...hmm, thanks for bringing it up!

mob720

Hmm I've always liked this wall, since I used it to my advantage in the original game. This wall is actually a regular sector, not an actual wall. It is set with an impassible flag, making the wall unable to pass, but not an actual wall. To make it a stable wall, go into doom builder, highlight the sector with the sector button, hit delete, and the wall becomes solid white, meaning the wall is a stable wall.
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Atariangamer

whew, in before a bump!

Well, Boingo knew the wall was there originaly, and knew how it acted. He just mapped it so it acted exactly the same.

Batmanifestdestiny

Wow, this is such an old topic, I'm surprised that you replied to it, atarian (Yay! I didn't do it this time!).

Right now I'm assuming that it will stay, but perhaps with the phase III improvements, it will get changed.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Atariangamer

Why?

And phase 3 is addition of levels...phase 2 is the looks enhancement stage...

Batmanifestdestiny

Because I'm slowly getting a reputation of being the great necromancer.

And I forgot that phase III was levels! Can't wait for the nutrition mine!

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!