The shot in the arm that the community needs? Important, please READ

Started by celebi23, June 06, 2008, 07:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replica

Yeah, its alot to difficult for me. :( I try though.

I think maybe we should open another topic for a Community wad. I wasn't thinking that we should use some ones wad. Example TUCQ. but begin a new mod for the purpose of impressing the creators of ChexQuest. A huge community wad hack why not use GZdoom's Mapinfo lump (Since Slimeinator and I are some what masters at editing) and begin a type apart from Doom and doom II. Through in the weapons and things created that are well done into it and create new content for it. To make a very well mod that hopefully will match the feel of the original DCafe team's work.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

Why do we need to create a "mega game", anyway? What's wrong with the maps that y'all have already made? Besides, the response celebi23 got said something like, "...the article deadline will be next week." That doesn't sound like enough time to do what Replica describes. I think that we should show ourselves as we are, not try to do something like this.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

I don't like megawads...especially for something only about 3 of the group knows (replica, slimeinator, and arch...plus maybe some more).

Either just do nothing and show what we have, or just K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid).
I'mmah make a map anyway...I need to get back in practice. ;)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

celebi23

If it's ok with everyone, I'm going to make a new topic just for people to talk about the first time they played/ heard about Chex Quest.  Todd is looking for some more things like that.

Atariangamer

:( I tried that....

Oh well, mebe we'll go to that better.
And it makes sense. He wants to know how it spread, and we just wanna let 'em know we're here.

Replica

Quote from: celebi23 on June 06, 2008, 10:49:33 PM
Ok, all url suggestions have been sent.  I also asked if he knew of any backup of the chexquest.com site existing.  He asked to have responses sent to his email address but, just making sure it's ok to post that address here.   Will keep you guys updated

No reply?

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

celebi23

Quote from: Replica on June 08, 2008, 01:46:12 PM
Quote from: celebi23 on June 06, 2008, 10:49:33 PM
Ok, all url suggestions have been sent.  I also asked if he knew of any backup of the chexquest.com site existing.  He asked to have responses sent to his email address but, just making sure it's ok to post that address here.   Will keep you guys updated

No reply?

Sorry guys, been a bit busy with summer class work to post an update.

Quote from:  Todd Waters
Alex,

No there wasn't a plan for CQ3. We did CQ2 in order to extend the promotion's time frame and drive traffic to the website. The promotion was scheduled for a six month run when the client had estimated the CQ pack-out. But ChexQuest just "caught fire" in the marketplace and we ran out of product in six weeks! Chex sales volume just went through the roof!

By the way, I had read in the news that scientists had just found a meteorite in Antarctica, which contained the basic elements required to for life. There was some concern that it might contain bacteria or something that might be hazardous to humans. There was a lot of excitement about it and the scientists were 'pumped'!

At the time I had just started to concept the ChexQuest story line when that news story broke. My first draft had the 'flemoids' attacking Earth, but there was some concern that snot aliens might freak-out the kids, so we went to the caverns of the planet Bazoik to do battle. It also gave us a little more creative license to Zorch, etc at will.

Also, in our early development process the Flemoids were called the "FEMBRANE" creatures.

I'm not sure if a copy of the ChexQuest website was saved.

Is there any way you can get me some numbers that I can use to determine the approximate size of the ChexQuest fan community. If you can't identify numbers can you describe size/impact another way? I really liked that post by Loremaster who described the first time he played ChexQuest. It helps me gage the emotional intensity that ChexQuest has had on Chex consumers.

I suggested that he look at the Fan Projects sub board & the community section on the Chex Quest Wiki site.  Oh & here's something that I threw together real fast.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Replica

59 known members. (@Celebi23 I wasn't trying to rush you, just trying to bring the topic back to a discution.)

Atariangamer

Hmm...replica, I'd say change that to ones that actually came in and did something Chex Quest-y. Glassyman (not to put him down) just is here, not really for CQ. and one guy (rtoman...I think) didn't do anything...

Also, I'd give him the dates of the first CQ fan site (who was it? richie?). That'd be good. He would know when we got started. Also, go to the old board and try and see who has stayed since the beginnings...My guess is Richie and Lore, but I think there were more before Lore...they just left.

Loremaster

The old forum had several hundred registered members at one point, though there was a bit of churn. It's quite popular amongst retro gamers, and DooM players have a healthy respect for it from what I've gathered. It's still known as the most successful promotion of its kind to this day. Considering every once in awhile I pull up the game to have a play for old time's sake [and I'm bleeding 20 years old now!], I'd say it had a huge impact.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Atariangamer

I bet he could copypasta the last 3 sentances of that right into his article!

Thats actually true. DooMers really do know about it and play it. And it really takes something to make it last for almost 12 years...BTW, the celebration of the 10 years kinda fell through...LOL.

Manny Cav

Quote from: celebi23 on June 08, 2008, 02:32:16 AM
If it's ok with everyone, I'm going to make a new topic just for people to talk about the first time they played/ heard about Chex Quest.  Todd is looking for some more things like that.
Yes, of course it is. Why wouldn't it be? :D
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Manny Cav

Quote from: The Atariangamer of 1993 on June 11, 2008, 06:56:16 PM
Has it gone up yet? When's the deadline?
He hasn't made the topic yet (that's what I assume you're talking about). celebi23 posted that email on June 6, and Todd Waters said that the deadline was "next week", so the latest that we can wait is June 14. Any later, and... you know what, I don't even understand what that deadline's about in the first place. celebi23, do you have any answers? ???
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

From my gatherings, he was making a report/article for what ever company had a hand in it...WalterMoliter?.
This article was on the impact of Chex Quest in the way of advertising, and how its going today. When celebi23 email'd him, he asked for some information on the current CQ scene (us) and after his report was turned in, he would send us some stuff from the history and development of CQ...I think.