Author Topic: Calling all modders!  (Read 4728 times)

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
Calling all modders!
« on: September 02, 2015, 01:33:33 PM »
I need people to help for the CQ 20th anniversary mod. We have until October 2016. Here's the wad, super basic, but it's simple enough. Make sure the things you use work in chex3.exe.

https://www.mediafire.com/?hk56vf6vh0ev955
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Calling all modders!
« on: September 02, 2015, 01:33:33 PM »

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Calling all modders!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 02:05:18 PM »
1. Why Chex3.exe?

It's an old, custom build of zDoom, and as far as I know it's Windows only because Chukker never released the source, it should really be compatible with the latest version of Zandronum (if it is, it will work in zDoom, gzDoom, and Zandronum, covering as many ports as possible).

Note that the big major difference between Chex3.exe and the equivalent zDoom revision that Chex3.exe was based off of is lost soul behavior, in zDoom it's unfortunately currently impossible to stop lost souls (i.e., flem mines) from infighting. This is sort of a drag but IMO you'd be better off targeting an engine whose limitations are well known rather than a rather undocumented custom build without source.

2. I'm not trying to give you a hard time but why are you trying to manage a community project when your own project didn't really even get into the beta stages?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:07:43 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Flem Balloon (Flemoidus Hydrogenus)
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
What are you talking about, 75? The source was released. http://www.chucktropolis.com/downloads/chex3_zdoom.zip

However, the other points about using ZDoom over Chex3 still apply, considering that it now supports 3D Floors as well...

...but if you want to go for maximum compatibility, the maps should really be made for the boom source port, but that isn't really realistic, considering most of us like the added features and decorate.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:21:42 PM by Nomekop »

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »
What are you talking about, 75? The source was released. http://www.chucktropolis.com/downloads/chex3_zdoom.zip

Oh, I did not know about that, thanks!

..but if you want to go for maximum compatibility, the maps should really be made for the boom source port, but that isn't really realistic, considering most of us like the added features and decorate.

I would agree with you for Doom, but there's no way to make a Boom compatible version of a wad based on Chex3.wad, because Chex 3 uses DECORATE to make the base monsters' behavior.

You could, however, make a Boom compatible mapset using chex.wad. The downside of that is, you miss out on Chukker's new sprites and textures, and AFAIK there's no way to keep flemoids from infighting with each other (i.e., if a BWA shoots a slime ball at a commonous, they'd start fighting each other). 

EDIT: Er wait, do flemoids infight in Chocolate Doom with the dehacked patch? I don't remember, I'll check...

EDIT 2: Just checked, flemoids do still infight with the dehacked patch, it's worth mentioning that they also had infighting in DOS Chex, too, but the maps seem to be designed to make that as unlikely as possible.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:36:31 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
Okay, platform will be GZDooM, DB Config will be hexen format. Not much of a loss anyway since I have GZDooM and ability to run it.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline WindowsVistaLover5570

• hi all been a while
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
  • Just call me Mupen.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
Here is an icon I threw together with Paint.NET.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 01:37:31 AM »
No offense, but that icon isn't very good. You need to add shading on the numbers.

• hi all been a while
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • Just call me Mupen.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 01:46:34 AM »
No offense, but that icon isn't very good. You need to add shading on the numbers.
Sorry, but my spriting and pretty much any drawing on the computer is horrible.

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »
Use gimp it is much better at spriting.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
Actually Paint.net is better for spriting than GIMP, GIMP is better at general photo editing. I've tried GIMP, Photoshop, and Paint.net, and I like Paint.net alot for spriting. Photoshop and GIMP for general photo editing though.

• hi all been a while
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • Just call me Mupen.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 11:03:13 PM »
Okay, platform will be GZDooM
Awesomedude, that doesn't seem like a very good idea. I mean, Chex Quest 3 doesn't work very good with GZDoom as Chukker modified the pk3, and plus it would just be more compatible if you make it for regular ZDoom (I mean, compatible with csDoom, ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, Odamex, and the lesser known port TDoom).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:04:55 PM by WindowsVistaLover5570 »

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 07:08:20 PM »
Okay, platform will be GZDooM
Awesomedude, that doesn't seem like a very good idea. I mean, Chex Quest 3 doesn't work very good with GZDoom as Chukker modified the pk3, and plus it would just be more compatible if you make it for regular ZDoom (I mean, compatible with csDoom, ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, Odamex, and the lesser known port TDoom).

What problems are you having with Chex Quest 3 in gzDoom? Chex 3 should work just as well in zDoom and gzDoom.

Also remember that an engine that runs this needs to support DECORATE, so that rules out everything except zDoom, gzDoom, and Zandronum as far as I know.

csdoom, Odamex, and ZDaemon are based on a version of zDoom that's way too old for chex 3 (no decorate support at all), I don't know about TDoom
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:13:10 PM by 75 »

• hi all been a while
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • Just call me Mupen.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 07:51:27 PM »
TDoom is a fork of GZDoom by me (lol).

Offline Johnny Bravo

• chex quest player
  • Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 16
  • i like jonny bravo and is my favv show!! :)
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 09:10:44 PM »
can i help with TDoom thats like Hdoom yea lol? i have can have the coding expirience i kno c+ and cjava  :lolwut
john 3:16 : ""For God so loved the world that he gived his one and only Sun, that whoever believers in him shal not perish but have eternal life. "
im making a chex quest wad to and when is done ill post and people will see and liek!

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
That didn't even make sense. You always make claims about this stuff but never do it. (no offense) Also that wasn't even related to the topic at hand.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting