Converting DooM WADs to CQ (or T.U.C.Q, or CQ3)

Started by Boingo the Clown, September 07, 2015, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boingo the Clown

I assume somebody has tried it already, but i thought I would ask anyway.

Mastrius and I were playing through a DooM 2 megawad called DooM II Reloaded.  A few minutes ago I tried running it under Chex Quest.  It worked, but the textures were fouled up, of course.

That led me to wonder if there has been any effort to convert any of the more popular DooM / DooM II / Heretic WADs or megaWADs over to CQ, CQ3 or TUCQ.

It sounds easy enough, although it would take a lot of work changing textures and swapping out things that look wrong.

It could be worth doing though.

Nomekop

I might have to try this out with one of the freedoom maps to start out with.

Quite a long time ago I thought it would be interesting to try to make all of the Doom 2 textures using Chex assets, it didn't get very far though.

Remember that not all Doom 2 wads are released under licenses that would allow this sort of editing.

If you guys did find a wad that allowed it, and the conversion was well done, that would be cool and I'd definitely play/host a wad like that.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

MajorSlime

Its not a quick process. I converted one of my CQ capture point maps to Doom, and it involved coying the map in one DoomBuilder instance to another (which was very quick) and then replacing every single texture with one that fit from the new set of available textures. (Which took HOURS)
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Boingo the Clown

Let's not forget there would also be swapping out enemies, because the commonus and bipedicus do not shoot (unless you include the T.U.C.Q. mid and high level versions), and the flembrane does not move.  There are also a lot of monsters in DooM 2 that do not have equivalents in Chex Quest that would have to be made, and a lot of textures that do not have Chex Quest equivalents that would have to be made.

Let's also not forget that there are authors that will have to be contacted for permission.

Yes.  I am aware of all that.

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on September 07, 2015, 04:24:37 PM
Its not a quick process. I converted one of my CQ capture point maps to Doom, and it involved coying the map in one DoomBuilder instance to another (which was very quick) and then replacing every single texture with one that fit from the new set of available textures. (Which took HOURS)

I forgot about that, it's definitely worth noting that the boxy Chex textures and the relatively free flowing Doom 2 texture set make it very hard to go right from one game to another. You will have to edit the level geometry to make the maps look like anything, because there are very few Chex textures that you can put on curved walls, Chex's texture set seems like it was designed for maps made on a 128 or 64 grid, with rooms being a multiple of 64 or 128 high. Like CM2109, I ran into this problem when converting Chex maps to Doom.

I have some experience converting Doom maps to Chex (see the new ZM map I converted from FastDM), it's a little easier than the other way around in my opinion, but that's partially because I made some custom textures for Chex that are easier to use with strange geometries.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

MajorSlime

I actually found it easier to go from Chex to Doom, because there are a lot more options to choose from when it comes to textures, because the Doom community has contributed much to publicly usable textures over the last couple of decades. Conversely, Chex hasn't really seen very many contributions.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Boingo the Clown

We may have to make up some textures of our own, and make them common property of the forum so we all can use them.

Meanwhile, I spoke with DooM Dude last night, and he gave me (us) permission to convert his megawad, Vilecore, over to a T.U.C.Q. version.

Vilecore is a 32 level megawad, so converting it over will be a major project.  It was made for DooM II, and contains DooM II monsters, which means I will need to create Equivalents of them for T.U.C.Q..  There is also the slight problem of ammunition supply.  Vilecore seems to require the player to rely heavily on ammo dropped  by defeated enemies.  Since flemoids do not drop ammo, additional ammo will have to be strategically added to the levels.

Sound like fun?

DestroyedEDGE

Quote from: Boingo the Clown on September 07, 2015, 12:17:47 AM
I assume somebody has tried it already, but i thought I would ask anyway.

Mastrius and I were playing through a DooM 2 megawad called DooM II Reloaded.  A few minutes ago I tried running it under Chex Quest.  It worked, but the textures were fouled up, of course.

That led me to wonder if there has been any effort to convert any of the more popular DooM / DooM II / Heretic WADs or megaWADs over to CQ, CQ3 or TUCQ.

It sounds easy enough, although it would take a lot of work changing textures and swapping out things that look wrong.

It could be worth doing though.
I don't know about Hell To Pay, though, because I can't seem to find it anywhere.

xbolt

Well, there's this old wad...

...I'll just show myself out.

noob1234

NOnononono.
Also, what about The Slimeinator's old Doom II conversion with recolored flemoids? Granted, many of the textures were jarringly out of place, but it could be a starting point... (He's not around anymore, though, so you couldn't ask for permission...)

Awesomedude249

That could work, if we throw together some texture replacements, but recolored flemoids feel kind of cheap IMO.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Quote from: noob1234 on September 10, 2015, 03:16:18 AM
NOnononono.
Also, what about The Slimeinator's old Doom II conversion with recolored flemoids? Granted, many of the textures were jarringly out of place, but it could be a starting point... (He's not around anymore, though, so you couldn't ask for permission...)

Note: Here's a link to it for those who don't have it: http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/TNCQ.wad

Boingo the Clown

I have been playing around with Vilecore a little bit.

It has been pretty straightforward, although there are some problems.

First of all, Vilecore was made for DooM 2. Naturally, this means there are DooM 2 monsters in the levels. In order for the conversion to work, I am going to have to invent replacements for these monsters.

Secondly, because the trooper and the sergeant (zombieguy and shotgunguy) drop ammunition, DooM Dude relied of these drops to supply the player.  The Commonus and Bip[edicus that replace these two monsters do not drop ammunition, meaning that there is a chronic shortage of ammunition in the levels.  The chaingunner also supplies ammo and chainguns (rapid zorchers) upon death, meaning the player may also be deprived of a weapon as well.

I have retextured MAP01 and MAP02.  MAP01 needs more texture alignment, but the retuexturing of MAP02 seems pretty much done.

It has been a little bit difficult, because there are fewer textures  in T.U.C.Q. than there are in DooM 2. There are multiple kinds of brown brick used in Vilecore for example, but really only the green sewer brick too replace them with, or the red brick I whipped up for E2M1.

Gameplay is really off, due the the problems I metioned above.

A Vilecore conversion is completely possible, but it may take a while.

darkstone

I would totally try and help with this project, if I could, and any Doom-to-Chex project we start probably.
I considered converting all of the leftover levels in the original CQ IWAD to proper Chex, but never got around to it...

Anyway, I'd LOVE to help. My texturing is not the best but anything I can do, let me know. :)