New CQ MIDI Music

Started by Strife, June 24, 2008, 01:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strife

Quote from: xbolt on June 27, 2008, 02:54:46 PM
Quote from: Manny Cav on June 27, 2008, 02:50:16 PM
The music reminds me of Digital Banjos a lot.

One thing that I'd like to observe is that you tend to double the length of your MIDIs, that is, make it where the song repeats at the halfway point. Is there a reason behind this?

If I'm not mistaken, Andrew Bensons original music did that as well. But the later repetitions were altered slightly from the first one. I think that's what Strife's doing. Right, Strife?

Indeed. =) However, my reason for doing it is so that you guys can see how the song loops without having to replay it in whatever media player you're using. (And some programs have a brief pause before looping music.) If, for any reason, filesize is an issue, I can always chop off the second loop before convering it to Doom format.

E-mail is fine, Lucius. ^_^

Manny Cav

The loop idea is certainly handy. I use that halfway point for that purpose, myself. ;) File size can hardly be an issue with MIDIs, anyway. :D
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

The Slimeinator

Well, I was just on Anvil and I decided to start out with some basic stuff, like doing a remix of the Caverns of Bazoik level music. 'Twould be here: (Since MediaFire is undergoing "Maintanence" I had to host on FileFront, but it's no biggy since the file is only 19.1 KB)

http://files.filefront.com/Deep+in+the+Cavesmid/;10832504;/fileinfo.html

If you want to be harsh, please, please be harsh. I needz to learn. :)
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Manny Cav

It sounds kind of plain, to be blunt, like the only thing that was done was instrument swapping, not an actual "remix". Still, I have to assume that you're a beginner at this sort of thing, correct?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

The Slimeinator

Batmanifestdestiny

I've fallen in love with Avil Studio.

P.S:ChexCommander, cover your ears, but I'm keeping 3ML to make music for Mabinogi

EDIT: oops, sorry, wrong topic

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Atariangamer

XD...I picked the wrong time to leave...

I liike your new trax, strife...maybe Chuck will use them!
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

:o :o :o :o NO, NOT MABINOGI AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, anyways, I've gone to work with Anvil Studio as well.  I've started off doing a remix of "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry but I'll go on to CQ-style stuff as well.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

I don't really make remixes. I just reinstrumentize, optimize, and add little quirks to it. A true remix is like Tilple, and some recreations are things like Strife. Wayc made some midis like me, Just switching around the instruments.

Hmm. I like slimenators e1m5, but some tips...
1. Simulate Echo. Copy the notes into a new channel, shift it over some, then lower the volume. Especially on that plucked instrument in the beginning.
2. Multi instruments. Have more than one instrument play a track. Mebe with the bass track, put in a fretless and a mute guitar.
3. stress points. Copy bits of the more Pointy parts of the song, then use some low strings or something to reinforce it.

Thats what I'd do...in fact, I just might!...nvrmind lol

I might retry some MIDI2MP3. Those few I did working with Boingo really helped me learn about the sound and volumes, also how to work in pitches, and work to make it sound good. I'll start with one of strife's.

ChexCommander

@Slime: How do you remix?  Do you listen to the music by ear, and put it down, or do you find the MIDI for the music and just use different instruments?
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

The Slimeinator

That was my first one, so it was basically a test.

@Atariangamer:

ZOMGEBIBBLESWHEREDIDYOUGETMIDI2MP3 RAWR!!!!! I've been searching all morning!

Atariangamer

...I uh...do it by hand in FL Studio?

Batmanifestdestiny

Quote from: The Atariangamer of 1993 on June 30, 2008, 04:12:25 PM
...I uh...do it by hand in FL Studio?
curse you and your richness!
oh well, it was a little too complicated for me anyway, and it didn't have that "retro game coolness" sound to it.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Atariangamer

You gotta work at it...AND DON"T CALL ME RICH.
I got it from a friend who knew I liked making songs and such and got it for me as a birthday gift.

Batmanifestdestiny

wow! I wish I had friends like that!
but then again, I like my current situation  8)

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!