Author Topic: Chukker's CQ3 technical support thread  (Read 18795 times)

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Chukker's CQ3 technical support thread
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »
This is getting off topic again. This is supposed to be a topic where we can help Chukker with any problems he has making his new mod. Keep it together, guys!
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 06:44:04 PM »

Offline GameMaster

• Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • [$_(1)_$]
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 07:13:08 PM »
how is your progress chukker?

if you need any batch files for setting up or transition, i can help you there

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »
...Transition from what? If you mean Legacy to GZDoom, or Legacy to Vanilla...Wait till he releases it. Hes already got 3 levels done, most flemoids done, 2 more levels on paper, and Shell Artist John onboard to help him! Just wait till he gets something out...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline ChexCommander

• #1 Bro President
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 19
  • Stay classy, cats...stay classy
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2008, 11:21:23 AM »
I think you guys are missing the point here.He didn't ask *Should I port to gzdoom* He's asking if their is a way to make flemoids not attack others and if the rockets can't hurt you. I personaly suggested that he sould make CQ3, for the port "Zdoom" To change theese thing. It really had nothing to do with game play, but mapping. @Manny, your not messing up the topic, we all are. XD. Sorry Chucker, any other questions? I'll be very please to help with anything. :)
Guys, remember this?  He's not asking about porting from Legacy to anything.  If he needs any help with his mod, we're right here to help him.  Please stick to the point.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Offline GameMaster

• Maximus
  • Thank You
  • [$_(1)_$]
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 08:00:39 PM »
...Transition from what? If you mean Legacy to GZDoom, or Legacy to Vanilla...Wait till he releases it. Hes already got 3 levels done, most flemoids done, 2 more levels on paper, and Shell Artist John onboard to help him! Just wait till he gets something out...
no no no!
transition as in movie to game, or game to end message or other details.
:p
cq1 used batch files to go from movie to game, game to movie of you recall.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2008, 01:36:59 AM »
...THERE IS NO MOVIE.
And the end message is built into the engine, its called the ENDOOM lump or something.

OFFTOPIC. Lets not talk till Chuck posts something else

Offline Chukker

• Bipedicus w/ Armor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
segment handler crash?
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2008, 03:35:47 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this crash: "signal_handler() error: segment violation" ?
I get it on the mission end screen after completing mission 4 but before mission 5 loads. I can however level warp to mission 5 without error.

Offline The Green Avenger

• Sudoku Black Belt
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • Legacy Loyalist
    • Chex Brigade!
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2008, 04:16:14 AM »
The 'Segment Violation' error is infamous in this community.  It could basically mean any one of a number of generic errors.  That's what makes it so annoying, you can't really know for sure what it is.  The best advice I can give you is to look over the maps and make sure that you don't have anything that could cause a killer violation.  Other than that, make sure that you have the original Chex Quest IWAD and not the SciFience version.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this crash: "signal_handler() error: segment violation" ?
I get it on the mission end screen after completing mission 4 but before mission 5 loads. I can however level warp to mission 5 without error.
What you describe, not being able to go from E1M4 to E1M5, but being able to go to E1M5 directly, sounds like exactly what happens when you use the "scifience" version of Chex Quest with Doom Legacy, which The Green Avenger mentioned as being a possibility.

There was the main chex.wad included with the CD and installed onto computers, which has a file size of 12,361,532 bytes, but there was also a bonus "DOOM.WAD", which was a slightly altered version of chex.wad for players of Ultimate Doom that included some of the Doom graphics that chex.wad blanked out. Its file size is 14,588,480 bytes . The reason it's called the "scifience version" is because it was used instead of chex.wad in the repackaged distribution of Chex Quest with Doom Legacy found here. Whenever you won E1M4 in the scifience distribution of Chex Quest, you would get the error you posted, but you can successfully start on E1M5 directly.

The very first thing I would do is check the size of the IWAD you are using for your project. If it is anything other than 12,361,532 bytes, you need to get the original chex.wad. You can find just chex.wad here. It is renamed to doomu.wad, which is what TUCQ uses.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »
No...I encountered that error a few times normaly. But asking about scifience, why did it crash on level 5, and on episode 2, after every level?

But what Manny said is true, it might be Scifience or just the BONUS 'DOOM.wad'...IDK

Offline Manny Cav

• Snot Lord
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
But what Manny said is true, it might be Scifience or just the BONUS 'DOOM.wad'...IDK
Like I said before, the scifience IWAD and the bonus DOOM.WAD are the exact same thing.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Offline Chukker

• Bipedicus w/ Armor
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »
I tried overwritting my doomu.wad with both the one that Manny linked as well as grabbing the file directly off of a CD install of Chex Quest, but unfortunately that did not fix the crash. I've been browsing various doom mod forums and this seems to be more of an inherit Legacy code bug that anything in a specific map. Legacy is trying to write to protected memory. I'll keep monkeying with the map and do some trial and error with removing objects/scripts/whateverelse. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 17
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »
I am the master at getting theese errors! To bad i'm not the master at fixing them. :-\ A few suggestions.....

1.Try making a new map for your map your trying to get to.
2.Redownload legacy
3.Try running it through a differant scource port. Not saying use to use GZdoom's things, just saying run it through GZdoom.

If their is a real error there, GZdoom will tell you what it is better then Legacy.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline The Slimeinator

• Resurrected from the Interdeads
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • I am the one who goes bump in the night.
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2008, 03:49:50 PM »
Like I said before, the scifience IWAD and the bonus DOOM.WAD are the exact same thing.

This is incorrect. The scifience version contains illegal content such as the sprites for the Monsters Spawner from DooM 2, as well as sprites for the Mancubus Fireball.

Regarding your error, Chukker, I have encountered this error only with the Sci-fience version. Like Replica, I encounter a multitude of errors every time I try to code something by hand.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Offline arch129

• Drum Set Salesman
  • Fan Projects Coordinator
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »
Not olny you cant end e1m4 with out crashing you can't end any level past that like e1m5 e1m6 e1m7 and e1m8.
I think the problem is the end level screen the picture of the Chex guy trying to get the slime of his boots.
In doom the end screen is a map with some buildings with anamation thats where the moving hand comes from.
Once I had a wad bsed of the orignal chex.wad and had this problem but fixed it by editing the sprites in the end map screen in a way I can't remember, ill try looking into it some more.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting