Author Topic: Watcha Binge Watching?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 68
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Watcha Binge Watching?
« on: September 19, 2015, 12:20:43 AM »
Binge watching is the act of watching huge chunks (often all) of a TV, movie or web series in a short amount of time, like a day or two.

In the last two weeks I binged watched two entire series.

The first one was an animé called "Attack on Titan".

I am not a fan of animé, but I have been reading and hearing hype about this show for months, implying that the only reason any human has to live for is watching this show.  After seeing yet another merchandising item in an Ashens video {link}, I purposely made the decision to binge watch the entire series and see what it was like.

And my opinion after seein it?

meh.

In spite of the name, it is not about a space battle on the largest moon od Saturn.  What we get is the story about a strange future where most of the human race has been wiped out by a race of giant humanoids called "titans". Titans are mindless creatures that have a mysterious need to attack and eat human beings.  By the time the series begins, the remaining humans live within a massive walled city (or small county) somewhere in central Europe (judging by all the German names used) that has withstood Titan attack for over 100 years, but then a tremendous titan  breaches to outer wall, allowing the other titans to stream in.  The main character's mother is killed during this attack and and the populus is then forced to retreat behind a second set of walls, where they are forced to live with food shortages and overcrowding.  The story follows the hero as he and his friends train to become special warriors with ninja swords and special grapling lines that allow them to swing around the city like Spiderman and fight the titans by slashing them in their vulnerable spots in the backs of their necks.

It seems like a great idea, but I found myself getting bored with the show fairly quickly.  It has the same problem I have found with a lot of animé shows where the story is needlessly drawn out.  For example (spoilers!), there was a bunch of episodes which only had Eren Jaeger riding through a forest with a giant female titan chasing him and the team he was with (with tireless super horses that only gallop and never need to rest), while Captain short dark haired clean freak guy keeps saying, "Just trust me and keep riding".

Riveting.   *YAWN*

It wasn't a bad show, but it certainly wasn't the super life changing show people were talking about.

The second TV series I binge watched just this week was much more enjoyable.  Like Attack on Titan, Steven Universe was a show I often heard about on the internet.  Unlike Attack on Titan I actually enjoyed Steven Universe more as I continued watching it.

Steven Universe is about a ten year old boy who is half human and half alien.  He is cared for by the crystal gems, three ageless aliens (spoilers! Four!), who resemble human women, but are in fact alien gemstones.  Steven is inherited his mother's gemstone when he was born, and is slowy learning to use the powers that come with it.  Together they face threats from corrupted gems that take the forms of monsters, and invaders from the crystal gems' homeworld.

Despite its simplistic Saturday morning cartoon look and comedy adventure format, Steven Universe can be surprisingly deep.  Relationships are explored, and character development occurs. I especially enjoy the relationship between Steven and his friend/girlfriend, Connie, and his relationship with his father, Greg.

Anyway, that is what I have been binge watching.

Perhaps you have been binge watching something too.

Tell me about what you have seen, and let me know what you think of it below.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 10:50:21 AM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Drwalrustein

• Walrsuses
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Watcha Binge Watching?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:50:40 AM »
I binged watched of LOTR movies.

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 78
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 03:00:52 PM »
Chekov and I have been binging on The X-Files in preparation for the new series next year.

Before that, we were watching Star Trek: The Next Generaton. And after X-Files, we're planning on Deep Space Nine.

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
  • No, Jum. You are the dolls.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 04:54:37 AM »
Binge-watched the "Squid Girl" anime. Then binge-read the manga.

I do rather like that one.

I need to binge on Chi's Sweet Home, and Gintama though.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 33
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 02:45:27 PM »
I have been binge watching jacksepticeye's Goat Simulator let's plays, but I guess that doesn't count as a TV show or movie.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting