Author Topic: The Pixel Art Topic  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 33
  • I'm not really sure.
The Pixel Art Topic
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »
I was looking around the forums and thought, "Hey, we don't have a pixel art topic!" So I made one. If you do pixel art, post it here! I'd love to see it.

Ohboy, this one's a doozy...

So first, I have a pixel art self portrait I made in GIMP.

It's my best piece of non-manyland pixel art.

And here's a boxy cube made by my brother, who is actually a member of these forums.http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1936

Here's a pixel art christmas tree, again made by my brother:

Here's a warning sign I made, it was one of my first times antialiasing:

Here's a book with a question mark, I think it's probably one of my best pieces of pixel art, thought I could use it for a help section if I ever bother to do anything with my website:

Here's the same book, just no question mark:

And here's a tiny little pixel art forest I made, I enlarged it a lot:
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 68
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Re: The Pixel Art Topic
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »
I remember the days when pixel art was the only way to do art on computers.

In fact, I learned computing on TRS-80 computers in school, which didn't even have pixel graphics. Instead of pixels, the TRS-80 had a 128 x 48 grid of blocks that were turned on and off in BASIC with the SET and RESET commands.

Click here to see a sample grid.

It was pretty blocky, and had black and white as the only colour choices, but we spent hours upon hours designing graphics using those block grids.

There were even a few games for the TRS-80, like SeaDragon, a Scramble clone, ...

... and Defender.

Strangely enough, it was a TRS-80 demo, called "The Dancing Demon" that got me into computing in the first place.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5rvVJULqw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N5rvVJULqw</a>

The user would type a string of characters into the input line, and the program would interpret each character as a tap dance move, causing the demon to do a tap dance.  The demon would then stop and bow at the end of the dance.

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
Wow, I kinda wish I had been alive back in that time.
But then again all the stuff I do on the computer wouldn't be possible if I were alive back then.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
  • No, Jum. You are the dolls.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 06:02:03 PM »
Necro'd!

I actually used to play on a TRS-80 Model III that my grandfather had. He had a copy of Zaxxon, with graphics so blocky that I didn't realize until YEARS later that the game wasn't a side-scrolling SHMUP, but an isometric view! Still, loved that thing, mostly for the text adventure game Sorcerer.

Pixel art is pretty awesome, and we've seen a bit of a comeback in its popularity over the past few years. Still, one of my favorite classic pieces is the Commodore 64 title screen to Neuromancer.

Well, that, and a lot of the old Japanese PC88/98 pixel art from back in the day. Think Touhou 1-5, yeah.

Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Offline Awesomedude249

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 06:12:05 PM »
Wow. That is some sweet pixel art. I especially like that kind of dithering technique used on the purple background in the last one.

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 08:58:14 PM »
Eh, I changed it.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting