Merry Christmas CQFF!

Started by Datra, December 25, 2015, 07:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Datra

Merry Christmas everyone!

As it is the season of giving, I have something to give to all my fellow Chex Questers that I thought you would like.
[spoiler]

YES! this is the Flemoid Cycloptis all done in 3D! The model is all done in Blender and based on Chukker's style from when he posted some 3D modeled Flemoids way back when. I hope the style fits.
The Cycloptis is also set up with cel shading and cel outlines to give it a cartoony appearance which I feel fits the Chex Quest style.

The model is even rigged for animation! If you look closely, you can see there are shape keys/morphs on the eyes allowing a range of facial expressions for the Cycloptis.

Another view.

There are a few liberties I had to take in terms of building this. The original sprites don't have a view of the Flemoid's right side (instead it's a mirror of the left from what I found) so I had to take some liberties on how the slime folds had to be modeled on that side. Also the bottom of the Cycloptis' pod is never seen. So if you look closely, you can see a little glowing pad. Because how else is he supposed to hover?

Rear view and better look at the engines. I think the glow turned out really well and makes it look like the engines actually generate heat.

Overall, I'm very happy with how this turned out. It is as accurate as it can be to the original sprites and definitely looks like it is something from an upgraded Chex Quest.
This is the first time using cel shading that doesn't use teapots, monkeys and cubes so i'm not quite in my element there. Also the outlines. Haven't messed around with those at this scale either.
[/spoiler]
Merry Christmas Everyone! :D I hope you enjoy!

Edit: Formatting
CQHD Community Dev

Awesomedude249

Whoa! Awesome job! Do you mind if I take some of the 3d rotations from this model and turn them into actual sprites? I know the cycloptis already exists, but it would be nice to add some new rotations (maybe someone good at coding could whip up a flemoid that rotates in all directions ;D)
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Richie

Merry Christmas!

Looks amazing!

Nomekop

I realize that this is good by itself, and yet, I still feel I should ask anyway, even though it probably won't happen and is just a dream type thing, but some normal/displacement maps to help smooth around the edges would be really nice to have.

This is really cool Datra, great work!
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

xbolt

Datra

Thank You everyone! I'm glad you all like it!

@Awesomedude: I might do a short turnaround gif/video to show all angles. Unfortunately I don't have any animations for it. I might be able to make some, but it'll take a little bit of time.

@Nomekop: Heh. Cel shading is something I haven't really done to this scale. So things are bound to be a bit off. :P good catch though. I'll look into smoothing things out when I start animation planning. :D
CQHD Community Dev

MajorSlime

Quote from: Nomekop on December 25, 2015, 11:04:40 PM
I realize that this is good by itself, and yet, I still feel I should ask anyway, even though it probably won't happen and is just a dream type thing, but some normal/displacement maps to help smooth around the edges would be really nice to have.

Normal maps won't help with smoothing. All they do is provide a realistic lighting effect to the model by making it seem like light is bouncing off at different angles, which wouldn't really be necessary for a model meant for Cel Shading. Might look interesting though... What WOULD help with smoothing is NURBS, although those are a quite advanced modeling feature and not every engine supports them.

Also Cel Shading is something that will be implemented in whatever engine uses the model, not in the model itself. So you can model it with Cel Shading in Blender, but you are not guaranteed the same look when you export it elsewhere. But yeah, Datra, that model does look pretty spiffy.

Also, Awesomedude, in the Doom engines and ports, the mirroring is how sprites are supposed to be done. It saves the spriter a lot of work, and unless there's a large detail that is absolutely needed (like an antenna on one side only), most sprites are going to be close to symmetrical anyways, so no one will really notice.

Oh and Merry Christmas to everyone! It'll probably be another few months before I post again, even though I lurk here every day.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Awesomedude249

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on December 26, 2015, 09:23:07 PM

Also, Awesomedude, in the Doom engines and ports, the mirroring is how sprites are supposed to be done. It saves the spriter a lot of work, and unless there's a large detail that is absolutely needed (like an antenna on one side only), most sprites are going to be close to symmetrical anyways, so no one will really notice.

Yeah, but I thought it might be cool to have a flemoid that rotates in all directions.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Atariangamer

That's pretty slick! I'd love to see him in action.

One day...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Awesomedude249

ATARIAN!!!  ;D

Also, nice new avatar.

Datra

@CM: couldn't have explained it better myself.

@Atarian: One day... classes are starting back up so all my time will be consumed with that. :-\

Even still. I'll try to pop on regularly and make a quick post. :whale
CQHD Community Dev

Awesomedude249

Well, maybe you could put up the 3D model and/or textures for download.