Author Topic: Help with ACS and Strife map conversations?  (Read 6416 times)

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Help with ACS and Strife map conversations?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:15 PM »
...Did you make me feel short next to the Commonus on purpose? (huffs)

;D That said, that was great. So the DIALOGUE won't work for my ZDoom maps?

-Uh... Intel two core E7500 @ 2.97 GHz, 2GB ram, 1 terabyte hard drive, Windows 7. (Crummy windows 7.)

-How does Slade's work? I'm not good at learning new tools.

- I changed the scale of the commonus while I was working on it because I wanted a visual indicator that the DECORATE code was actually working and I didn't do something stupid like replace the wrong actor

- NOTE: for some reason, this strife dialog setup does not work at all in Zandronum. That might be a Zandronum bug, because I think Zdoom 2.5.0 had that feature.

Using Slade:

1. Open your wad file, do file -> open and browse to the wad you want to open
2. Double click on the MARKER of the map you want to open

3. You'll see a popup, make it look like this:

click OK, then the map editor window will pop up

... after that I have no idea. I use Doombuilder 2 for maps, I just use Slade 3 as a "lump" editor (i.e., to add sprites / textures and edit DECORATE, stuff like that). In my opinion you should try Slade 3 as an alternative to XWE, I find it to be a big improvement.

Slade 3 has a wiki: https://github.com/sirjuddington/SLADE/wiki

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm not sure if even Slade 3 can edit Strife Dialog; I guess plan B is to manually edit the DIALOGUE lump that goes with the map, it's not as convenient as how I would do it normally but if you're careful it might just work.

EDIT 2: What error message did you get when you tried to run Doombuilder 2 and it failed to start?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:52:10 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 09:42:15 PM »

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 10:27:54 PM »
Oh, it was the DirectX on one... I forget the other... outright not allowed to use third computer we had at the time.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 10:39:43 PM »
Just checking, you did download the SlimDX 2.0 runtimes, right? http://slimdx.googlecode.com/files/SlimDX%20Runtime%20.NET%202.0%20%28January%202012%29.msi

They're required to run Doombuilder 2.

I can confirm that Doombuilder 2 worked on an old beater Intel Core 2 Duo laptop from ~2004.

The only person I've ever known who couldn't run DB2 had 512 MB of RAM, I think this is fixable without a hardware upgrade.

I need to know what kind of graphics card you have to troubleshoot further if the SlimDX thing doesn't work,

Run dxdiag, on the Display tab you will find information about which GPU you have:

"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »
XD (falls down)
Oh, my, no, I never did download those! I was on an old Compaq Presario (my dad's work computer) and found a tutorial on 'Chex Quest editing'... I was not surprised Doom Builder didn't work on it. It takes a year to go from page to page on Internet and sometimes just randomly throws up CMD windows. Then I brought them to my eMachines (XWE, DoomBuilder, WhackEd 2) and I don't remember how they worked... but I was exstatic when, while once again fishing around in TUCQ's folder (I did that a lot before learning to mod, 'cause I read his readme and found it was modded) and suddenly the wad had 'Edit with XWE'... and at that point I didn't care. I figured it out on my own like I figure so many things out. Even taught myself DECORATE... oh, old times.

No, my goodness, I never downloaded those. I don't have DoomBuilder on this computer, though, I don't know how much space it takes up. I will look into it. That would be a great thing to have, sometimes UDMF maps might be a lot better then ZDoom when modding... this is great.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting