Poll

What do you guys think of the Oculus Rift?

I'm planning on buying it when it comes out in July
It looks interesting but I'm waiting for the price to go down
I'm interested in a VR device other than the Rift
I'm not interested in VR at all

Author Topic: Poll: Oculus Rift  (Read 2539 times)

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
Poll: Oculus Rift
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:22:51 PM »
I've been following the Oculus Rift for a while; I'm pretty psyched about the technology personally, especially since there's a port of gzDoom that supports Oculus ( http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/ ), and there's a port for Duke, too.

I was definitely planning on buying it until I saw the price tag. For $600 (insert Playstation 3 launch joke here) it seems a little too risky for me.

What do you guys think about VR?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: Poll: Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:59:34 PM »
I'm with you on the price tag. I don't have any money anyways, but if I did, I would still wait.

I'm also pretty psyched though. I honestly can't wait, although I may be more interested in the Vive, as I care more about AR than VR, but we'll see.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 78
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:31:43 AM »
I'm going to wait a few years and see how well this round of technology goes. If nobody adopts it and there are hardly any games for it, then I don't want to spend that much for a peripheral device. And if it goes well, then there will be more competition by then.

Also I'm broke.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:33:25 AM by xbolt »

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 33
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
I'd get it if I had the money and a credit card, but I don't. I have, however, used an Oculus Rift at the local Dickinson college media center. It's really cool, but confusing as you can't use your real life hands to pick up objects. ;D
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 55
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:45:44 PM »
I'm interested in where the HTC Vive goes.

The problem with that is that unlike Oculus, which has a lot out there that you can see and mess with...the Vive has little to nothing going on. I was pretty excited when I learned that Valve was working on VR, but with the little to nothing they've done with it, I've just given up hope with it.

As far as VR in general, though...It'll take that 'killer app' to make it happen. Some game that makes it feel more than just a gimmick. I'd love to see it, but I don't think it's there yet.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
  • No, Jum. You are the dolls.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 06:19:09 PM »
My oldest friend has the DK2, and he brought it over to my place to let my wife and I try it. He booted up Elite: Dangerous, and...

Wow. I'm a believer now. Absolutely. It was amazing. Normally I'm skeptical of new tech (despite, or perhaps because of, being an engineer), so if I'm jazzed, there's something to it, clearly!
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 68
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:28:49 PM »
Meh.

3D movies don't really thrill me, and I am not really eager to jump on this bandwagon either.

Maybe once there is a DooM port for Occulus rift and the price comes down I will be interested.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:34 PM »
Maybe once there is a DooM port for Occulus rift...

... especially since there's a port of gzDoom that supports Oculus ( http://rotatingpenguin.com/gz3doom/ )

With that said, even playing Doom and Duke in a headset isn't enough to make me fork over $600; $200 maybe

That reminds me, IIRC Oculus said that the consumer models would be cheaper than the dev kits? I wonder what happened? The consumer model ($600) is way more than DK2 ($320 IIRC).
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline Loremaster

• Administrator
  • Maximus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
  • No, Jum. You are the dolls.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 04:23:00 AM »
Ok, imagine this. Everyone's played a game like X-Wing or Freespace. Wasn't it always a pain to press all sorts of buttons to switch views and bring up different instruments?

Well, with VR, you just turn your head, like you would IRL. Can't quite see a display? Lean closer, just like IRL. It really is amazing. It really shines with sims like those. It won't be for every game (can't imagine platformers working with it well), but for those it works for, it really will be revolutionary.

As for why it will be more expensive... apparently the DK2 was 1080P, but the full version will be 4K, in order to better reduce the screendoor effect. At 1080P, it was minor, but still noticeable. I can imagine that low-latency, low-persistance OLED screens at that resolution and size are not cheap at the moment.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Offline MajorSlime

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »
Oh hey, on the note of gz3doom, I noticed that the latest Zand builds also have gz3doom support. :3
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting