Author Topic: Reject Table Editors?  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 63
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Reject Table Editors?
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »
Back when DooM was new, computers were much slower. (I first played on a 80386SX 33MHz with 4MB of memory!)

In order to speed things up, id created the reject table to speed the game up by basically telling monsters which sectors they can "see" from the sectors they are currently in.  For example, if the monster is in sector 1 and sector 50 is on the other side of the map with no way of being seen, then the reject map tells the monster not to check for a line of sight to that sector, eliminating wasted time from doing the extra calculations.

The speed of newer computers means saving time by ignoring line of sight calculations is no longer required.

However ...

... the are a number of tricks that can be done by using the reject table to make monsters blind to sectors they normally should be able to see.

For example: Imagine a large arena with a platform in the centre with something important on top (a key, a powerup, a switch, etc.,).  Hidden in the walls of the arena are a number of monsters. The reject table tells the monster that they can not see any of the sectors in the arena (which they normally should), except for the sector making up the top of the platform. When the player enters the arena, the monster do not shoot at him, and he does not expect a trap, but the moment he steps on top of the platform -- SURPRISE! -- the monsters start shooting at him through the false walls, and he has to dodge projectiles seemingly coming from nowhere!

In my case, what I would like to do is make a sort of flemoid enemy. It would a simple stalagtite like blob hanging from the ceiling. It would be placed in a sector that is blind to all sectors except itself.  The player could easily dispose of it from a distance by zorching it away, but if the player steps into the same sector as the hanging blob, it will drop to the floor and spawn a flemoid to attack the player.

So I need some kind of Reject table editor that works in Windows 7.

Does anybody know of one?

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Reject Table Editors?
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
Re: Reject Table Editors?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »
http://www.mrousseau.org/programs/ZenNode/manual.html

It's a reject map builder, basically allows you to make a reject table. Not sure if it works on Windows 7 though.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:52:52 PM »
A reject table modification is not needed in any way whatsoever.

To accomplish your first scenario, you could make the monsters dormant, and change them to non-dormant with a linedef or sector action when the player reaches the middle. This would actually be preferable, because they would still shoot at the player when he moves away from the middle.

For the second: Your making a new monster anyways, so just setup its DECORATE so it only attacks if the player's x and y coordinates are close enough to the new monsters. This is relatively easy to do. (Or heck, if you need a specific shape to activate the monster, just do the same as the first scenario; make it dormant and then activate it when the player enters the sector with a sector action thing special)
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:06:05 PM »
For the second: Your making a new monster anyways, so just setup its DECORATE so it only attacks if the player's x and y coordinates are close enough to the new monsters. This is relatively easy to do. (Or heck, if you need a specific shape to activate the monster, just do the same as the first scenario; make it dormant and then activate it when the player enters the sector with a sector action thing special)

A dormant monster can't be hit, so Boingo's first thing of shooting the flemoid from afar doesn't work there. You could use +NOTARGET but it might need ACS attached to the lines to change it.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 05:14:20 AM »
Ok, just make its default DECORATE state do nothing, so it just sits there (it can still take damage). Include an activation state that when activated causes it to start functioning. My point is there are a ton of ways to accomplish this, and can be figured out with existing common tools and a little problem solving.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting