Chex Quest HD!

Started by Chukker, April 18, 2016, 08:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikmintaro

Been a huge fan of Chex Quest since I was a little kid, and I still love all three games (I usually play through all three games several times a year.), so I'm also pretty excited for this.

I KNEW the character (Fred Chexter? I'm not sure what his official name is.) was based on Buzz Lightyear! I guess pretty much everybody realized that, but even as a kid I thought he looked similar, however I never thought to ask on these forums if he actually was or not.

Chex Quest keeps bringing me back, I love the world in it, the characters, the music, the atmosphere even after having playing Doom (which I also like a lot) I still keep coming back to Chex Quest over and over. I was so surprised when I saw Chex Quest in the news feed on Facebook I did a double take! this is also good to bring in a lot more fans, and bring these games more recognition.

Awesomedude249

Quote from: pikmintaro on July 16, 2016, 03:27:01 AM
Been a huge fan of Chex Quest since I was a little kid, and I still love all three games (I usually play through all three games several times a year.), so I'm also pretty excited for this.

I KNEW the character (Fred Chexter? I'm not sure what his official name is.) was based on Buzz Lightyear! I guess pretty much everybody realized that, but even as a kid I thought he looked similar, however I never thought to ask on these forums if he actually was or not.

Chex Quest keeps bringing me back, I love the world in it, the characters, the music, the atmosphere even after having playing Doom (which I also like a lot) I still keep coming back to Chex Quest over and over. I was so surprised when I saw Chex Quest in the news feed on Facebook I did a double take! this is also good to bring in a lot more fans, and bring these games more recognition.
wat
Also, WB, pikmintaro! I remember you from seeing your old posts and your re-introduction from like 2014.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

pikmintaro

Quote from: Awesomedude249 on July 16, 2016, 02:02:34 PM

wat
Also, WB, pikmintaro! I remember you from seeing your old posts and your re-introduction from like 2014.

Sorry if I was hard to understand, I got a bit overly excited after seeing this on Facebook and typed up my post in a hurry.
Also sorry if I introduced myself more than once, I check this website every so often (usually whenever I get interested in playing Chex Quest again.), but I usually don't have anything to say so I might have introduced myself a couple times.

Also while I'm thinking about it. I have a question for those who might know, it might be a little silly to want to know, but is the Chex guy's armor a part of his body? the reason I ask is because in the opening of the first game (and for the in game Cereal characters that you rarely see.) many of them have their "species" cereal being almost their entire body, for example the Cheerios characters obviously have a big Cheerio as most of their body, but with the Chex characters and the main character, I can't tell if it's just armor they can take on and off, or actually their body.
I would assume it's his body, but it also looks like he has clothes on that seem to go inside of it, and the top part seems to  be separate from the armor, closing over his head and everything, even when I was a kid I was scratching my head trying to figure out how his body works and how he gets his clothes on.

Maybe it's strange to wonder about something like that, but I'd like to know since if I understand how the in game world works it helps me to enjoy it a bit more.

darkstone

Quote from: pikmintaro on July 16, 2016, 05:53:16 PM
Quote from: Awesomedude249 on July 16, 2016, 02:02:34 PM

wat

Sorry if I was hard to understand, I got a bit overly excited after seeing this on Facebook and typed up my post in a hurry.
Also sorry if I introduced myself more than once, I check this website every so often (usually whenever I get interested in playing Chex Quest again.), but I usually don't have anything to say so I might have introduced myself a couple times.

Also while I'm thinking about it. I have a question for those who might know, it might be a little silly to want to know, but is the Chex guy's armor a part of his body? the reason I ask is because in the opening of the first game (and for the in game Cereal characters that you rarely see.) many of them have their "species" cereal being almost their entire body, for example the Cheerios characters obviously have a big Cheerio as most of their body, but with the Chex characters and the main character, I can't tell if it's just armor they can take on and off, or actually their body.
I would assume it's his body, but it also looks like he has clothes on that seem to go inside of it, and the top part seems to  be separate from the armor, closing over his head and everything, even when I was a kid I was scratching my head trying to figure out how his body works and how he gets his clothes on.

Maybe it's strange to wonder about something like that, but I'd like to know since if I understand how the in game world works it helps me to enjoy it a bit more.

We might have to ask Chukker to find out. Actually, it'd be amazing if he told us! :P I always thought it was armor, but look at the Chex Commander (woman who is at the head of the meeting room in the intro). I suspect the Chex peoples' bodies are Chex, like the cheerios etc., but that Chex Warrior also has Chex Armor (like you pick up in the game) over it.

Manhs

It's why We need more remake of good games like this one ! I have played CQ 1,2 and 3 because i have seen the news about Chex Quest HD! xD
Make a series alive with new games (not only fan games or expansions) is a very good thing because new players can come and try the older games! ^^

I liked a lot CQ 1,2 and 3 and the OST and atmosphere is really nice.
Unreal Engine 4 is cool, i liked a lot RotT 2013 with it (version 1.5.5) !

And the enemies looks really well made !

Will it be a short game like the old ones? Or longer to finish?  :D
EDIT: A yes, sorry ! I havent read well:
"No, the plan is to only include the original 5 levels. They all will however be re-designed. Most will end up being longer to play as a result."
"Chex 2 & 3 - I probably won't consider this until the first is finished. Just getting Chex 1 done will be a lengthy undertaking given the small team."
I hope It will be well received and played, this series is so nice, with CQ2 and 3, it could be awesome too ! :whale

LAZ Trooper

Somehow I missed this, but this is awesome. Even if it doesn't get finished, if we get even something unfinished it'll be awesome. :whale
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Tifosi 92

Chukker - This looks fantastic! Will definitely be keeping an eye on this; would be crazy awesome to see it finished. Thank you so much for doing this for us!  ;D
I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have... it's very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad.

josepharaoh99

I'm new to the forums. I don't really remember how I first heard about this remake, but when I did, I was blown away, thrilled, and ecstatic! Then I went away for a while. When I came back, there was so much more media attention online. Personally, I call Chex Quest the game that never dies.

I'm really excited about this. I've actually thought of this before, but never done any work for it before beyond making my own cheesy 3D model for a flemoid and trying to turn it into sprites. I am grateful to see all these people working super hard to get this game into reality!

I just had a few preferences- they're really nothing more, but I'd love to see them (maybe we could plan on adding them after the main game is finished? :D ) 1. I'd absolutely love to see this in multiplayer!! I personally like multiplayer games a whole lot, and sometimes multiplayer is the main reason games are good. I think it would be SO COOL if we could have somebody eventually make some deathmatch maps for multiplayers and singleplayers to work on. I'd love to help with that, but I don't know if I could, and I don't have excessive game design experience. (I have made maps before, though!)
  2. If this was made available on mobile platforms (android, ios), I would almost have a heart attack. 'Course, I don't know if Unreal has support for such platforms (I think Unity does, so maybe Unreal does too? :-\ )
  3. I'm hyped about the maps becoming larger. As much as I love Chex Quest, it's kinda cheesy being able to play through an episode in only half an hour, which I've almost been able to do. Once the initial game is finished, I would love to see some new levels made (but again, that's only my preference).
4. 3rd person view as well as first?

Over all, I am totally hyped about this project! I have been playing Chex Quest for years, and it's my favorite game, so this naturally excites me. Thanks, Chukker, for the news and the three pics that have been put up online so far. I look forward to seeing some more pictures soon? (and maybe even videos?) Again, thanks so much! (You've got a new fan  ;) )

P.S. The run and rest animations look awesome! I noticed two things (and I know they're only test animations) - that he doesn't blink when running, and that when running, his legs go through his armor, but they're still great! I love them!
I am an Apostolic! Find a good church near you: http://www.upci.org/search

Chukker

Quote from: josepharaoh99 on August 30, 2016, 06:11:25 PM
1. I'd absolutely love to see this in multiplayer!! I personally like multiplayer games a whole lot, and sometimes multiplayer is the main reason games are good. I think it would be SO COOL if we could have somebody eventually make some deathmatch maps for multiplayers and singleplayers to work on. I'd love to help with that, but I don't know if I could, and I don't have excessive game design experience. (I have made maps before, though!)

Unfortunately multiplayer, if done at all, will be post launch. There is a ton of network-specific code that would need to be implemented that I know nothing about.

2. If this was made available on mobile platforms (android, ios), I would almost have a heart attack. 'Course, I don't know if Unreal has support for such platforms (I think Unity does, so maybe Unreal does too? :-\ )

While Unreal does package out to iOS and Android fairly easily, FPS games don't generally play well on touch-screens (in my opinion at least). Another issue is that while it's no problem to package out and distribute a Windows build, distributing for those other platforms require licenses which I would have to buy. I don't even know if I could distribute on something like the app store given that I technically don't own the Chex Quest IP.

3. I'm hyped about the maps becoming larger. As much as I love Chex Quest, it's kinda cheesy being able to play through an episode in only half an hour, which I've almost been able to do. Once the initial game is finished, I would love to see some new levels made (but again, that's only my preference).

To temper expectations, the levels won't be excessively larger than before. They will have more secrets per level than the original and maybe 50% bigger in size.

4. 3rd person view as well as first?

The problems this creates is you suddenly have to create a bunch of new camera code to limit the follow cam clipping walls and other actors. This is something I just don't want to deal with. Perhaps a possible post-launch feature.

P.S. The run and rest animations look awesome! I noticed two things (and I know they're only test animations) - that he doesn't blink when running, and that when running, his legs go through his armor, but they're still great! I love them!

When Chex Warrior was concepted back in the day, not a lot of thought was put into how he would actually anatomically function. I want to keep the Chex armor fairly large in proportion to his overall size (as he was concepted) but also allow him to run with a full stride. This is a bit unreconcilable unfortunately, so he will probably clip his armor during running animations.

My apologies for lack of updates. There is progress being made, but much of it is code and systems stuff that doesn't show up in screenshots. I'll try to get something new to show in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for everyones' patience!

josepharaoh99

Will the Chex Warrior be able to jump?
I am an Apostolic! Find a good church near you: http://www.upci.org/search

Chukker

Yes, he will jump and it will be required for some progression and secret elements.

Manhs

If it will be downloaded and liked a lot, will you continue the project for more stuff, like CQ2,3 and maybe multiplayer in the future? I mean, for a v1, it seems to earl and complexe but later?
The jump is a good thing, like mouselook, doomengine has some limit, it's better if we use the basic stuff of fps since the jump was possible in fps (and mouselook then).
Have you tried to talk with the people who have the copyrights to make it more "important" and bigger, i could pay for this game!

Anyway, even all of that, im very happy for a good single player mod, it's the most important in FPS for me, multiplayer can create a bigger community but it's like 30% of fun of a fps for me!
Im just listening the OST of the series, the musics are so cool too !  :whale

Chukker

I don't want to commit to anything specifically for post-launch until I can get Chex 1 finished. There is so much to do with just getting that done, anything else is just too far in the future. I have had conversations with General Mills regarding this project. They are aware that it is being made and fortunately did not request that I stop production. However any further details about their involvement are not public, since this is their copyright and involves their legal team.

Awesomedude249

I know it is difficult to determine, but is there a rough release date for this?
Chex Quest HD, coming When It's Doneā„¢
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

TrueDude

Is the music composed to a point you could show off a tiny preview of it? Surprised no one else has asked to be honest, I'm curious how it's been remixed.