Chex Quest: The Lost Quest (Unofficial) Multiplayer Patch

Started by 75, May 15, 2016, 03:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This is a small patch I worked on for a little while today that tries to make this map pack a little more fun when played online.

Changes for r00: (to see changes for future versions see posts below)

- Removed "Save?" switches (they don't do anything in multiplayer), replaced them with vegetables
- Added exit signs to all exits
- Moved around / removed a few Loricatus to reduce the "Rocket Guys in the Dark" problem that Boingo mentioned

- E1M4: Made the jumping puzzle here a little easier, plus a teleporter to bypass the whole thing for other players

- E1M5: One lift was not marked repeatable

- E1M6: I noticed there were a few places where the traps were almost instant death, I tried to tone those down a bit
- E1M6: Added more ammo, added large zorcher so that you don't have to use the (more ammo hungry) Mega Zorcher on weaker flemoids
- E1M6: Made it so that if the first player that gets into the Cyber Flemoid boss fight gets slimed, other players can still get in and continue the map
- E1M6: I'm not sure how Arch129 intended for people to get the red key, I ended up doing some kind of crazy jump; the sector that needs to lower has a tag of 1024 that doesn't seem to be referenced anywhere, I added a switch to lower these floors; let me know if I overlooked something and there actually is a way to get it without tricky straferun jumping
- E1M6: Added armor, I think this map really needs some kind of armor...
- E1M6: Added a shortcut to improve the flow a little

- E1M7: Added a teleporter so that other players can continue the Gorre fight if the first player to get in gets slimed
- E1M7: Removed a door so that you're not locked out of the start area after going into the elevator
- E1M7: Made the teleporter out of the gorre arena repeatable

Other ideas I had but didn't get to implement:

- It might be a good idea to make more of the enemy projectiles BRIGHT, in the dark it's really hard to see slime balls coming
- Some obituaries are broken, I think the dark bipedicus obituary is one of them that does not work
- Player colors are not quite working, it would probably be best to give this the "blue pants" treatment so that the slime does not recolor with the player's (green) pants
- Maps might need more ammo / health. Unfortunately I forgot where the spots were that we were running of ammo.
- If playing with sv_sharekeys Zandronum prints incorrect key names like "<you> have picked up the YellowSkull!", can this be fixed?
- Add noinfighting to MAPINFO to try to prevent infighting

I tried to keep my changes as minimal as possible, let me know what you guys think, if you guys like it I'll host it with CQTLQ

Current Version: (Sept 11th, 2023):  http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r05.pk3

[spoiler]
Old version (May 15th, 2016, ~ 3 PM): http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r00.pk3 (< 1 MB)
Old version (May 15th, 2016, ~ 7 PM): http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r01.pk3 (< 1 MB)
Old Version: (May 25th, 2016):  http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r02.pk3
Old Version:  (Feb 26th, 2023):  http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r03.pk3
[/spoiler]
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Testing brought out a couple things

- E1M6: fixed one way door
- General: Fixed my stupid mistake with the exit sign texture

http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r01.pk3
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

noob1234

Quote from: 75 on May 15, 2016, 03:53:48 PM
- E1M6: I'm not sure how Arch129 intended for people to get the red key, I ended up doing some kind of crazy jump; the sector that needs to lower has a tag of 1024 that doesn't seem to be referenced anywhere, I added a switch to lower these floors; let me know if I overlooked something and there actually is a way to get it without tricky straferun jumping

Went to check it out, and this sector is supposed to lower when zorching slime pillars that don't show up for some reason. I'm not sure why; they used to... You'd have to look into it more. In the console, they're referenced as "Unknown type 15218."

[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: Huh, seems to be an engine issue. The above screenshot was taken in GZDoom 2.1.1; the below one was taken in 1.8.0. Not sure how far back you have to go to avoid the error; I just chose 1.8.0 arbitrarily because 1.9.1 didn't work and I figured I should try a few versions back

[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT2: I'm dumb; this patch is for multiplayer. They do show up in Zandronum.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

noob1234

EDIT3: I'm dumb again; going through with your patch installed I found out what it was you were thinking was wrong.
To get to the red key, you're supposed to go through the orange door and then the walls lower to reveal the quadrumpi; I assume what tripped you up was this slightly wider gap in the bars.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I'm keeping what I had written originally and the two previous edits because this is still an issue, albeit a completely separate one that has nothing to do with multiplayer

Went to check it out, and this sector is supposed to lower when zorching slime pillars that don't show up for some reason. I'm not sure why; they used to... You'd have to look into it more. In the console, they're referenced as "Unknown type 15218."

[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: Huh, seems to be an engine issue. The above screenshot was taken in GZDoom 2.1.1; the below one was taken in 1.8.0. Not sure how far back you have to go to avoid the error; I just chose 1.8.0 arbitrarily because 1.9.1 didn't work and I figured I should try a few versions back

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]
EDIT4: ARGH I PRESSED QUOTE INSTEAD OF MODIFY

Awesomedude249

Quote from: noob1234 on May 18, 2016, 11:40:59 PM
EDIT3: I'm dumb again; going through with your patch installed I found out what it was you were thinking was wrong.
To get to the red key, you're supposed to go through the orange door and then the walls lower to reveal the quadrumpi; I assume what tripped you up was this slightly wider gap in the bars.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I'm keeping what I had written originally and the two previous edits because this is still an issue, albeit a completely separate one that has nothing to do with multiplayer

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]
EDIT4: ARGH I PRESSED QUOTE INSTEAD OF MODIFY
No worries, I deleted that post. ;)
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Thanks, Noob, that helps a lot

Quote from: noob1234
<the slime pillars don't show up in gzDoom>

It looks like even without my patch, the slime pillars don't show up in this map in newer versions of gzDoom (and zDoom 2.8.0) -- this is very bizarre, I'm not sure what would cause this.

For right now we're probably okay since this is for Zandronum, but I wonder if this will break for future versions of Zandronum? Thanks for letting me know, I'll watch out for this problem coming up again later.

EDIT:

I figured out why the flem pillars aren't showing up in gzdoom, for some reason Arch put "Game Doom" in his DECORATE for that actor.

I guess Zandronum ignores "Game Doom" but gzDoom and zdoom don't. gzdoom and zdoom probably ignored the "game" setting when Arch made the code for the actor, that makes sense considering Zandronum 2.x is up to date with zDoom 2.5.0.

If I replace "Game Doom" with "Game Chex", the flem pillars show up in gzdoom. I've added this to the patch but I didn't upload it yet.

Quote from: noob1234
<Shooting the slime pillars lowers the blocker thing>

I think I remember that too, but I just went in game and tested it without my patch in Zandronum, the block does not seem to lower for me after shooting the slime pillars.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I mean this block with the veggies on it:

EDIT: Note that even with the slime pillar "Game Chex" fixes, the veggie block (see screenshot above) still does not lower in gzdoom.

noob1234

Quote from: noob1234 on May 18, 2016, 11:40:59 PM
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I had written this after my inital comment I guess...
Two separate problems. This is after you enter the orange door, and zorch all the quadrumpi.

You're right, I did forget to go through the door with the quadrumpi.

I'm still kind of confused about this block with the veggies on it, though, it has a tag (of 1024), but it never lowers. In Zandronum I went through and zorched every flemoid on the map (including the boss) and it still didn't lower.

Do you remember if that veggie block ever lowered? Or was it just something you were supposed to fall onto? Unfortunately I can't remember.

noob1234

Played through the level again... It doesn't lower, I guess you're supposed to fall onto it from above
But it's tagged, so perhaps Arch meant it to lower by some other means?

New release of the patch: r02

I wasn't sure what to do with the veggie block so I left it how it was before (switch activated), Arch didn't mark it a secret so I'm guessing he wanted it to lower? Let me know what you guys think.

- Fixed HOM in Hidden Backtracks
- Removed "Game Doom" from the slime pillars

I'm going to host this on the CQ : TLQ server, I hope you guys like it!

http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r02.pk3

New release of the patch: r03

This is a rather obscure bug, but the way that Arch defined the duration of the HighJumpBoots appears to trip some Undefined Behavior. The boots stopped working almost instantly if this wad was hosted on a 64 bit build of zandronum, it worked OK on a 32 bit build, but IFOC is now running 64 bit Zand (and 32 bit Ubuntu isn't really supported anymore).

Broken:
actor HighJumpBoots : PowerupGiver 12929
{
inventory.pickupmessage "You've equipped the High Jump boots!"
inventory.maxamount 0
inventory.usesound "pickups/slowmo"
powerup.type "HighJump"
powerup.duration 1000000000000000000000000000000000000
translation "128:143=144:151"
+AUTOACTIVATE
+INVENTORY.FANCYPICKUPSOUND
   states
{
Spawn:
   JBOT A 4
   loop
}
}

Fixed:

actor HighJumpBootsFix : PowerupGiver replaces HighJumpBoots 12929
{
inventory.pickupmessage "You've equipped the fixed High Jump boots!"
inventory.maxamount 0
inventory.usesound "pickups/slowmo"
powerup.type "HighJump"
powerup.duration 0x7FFFFFFF
translation "128:143=144:151"
+AUTOACTIVATE
+INVENTORY.FANCYPICKUPSOUND
   states
{
Spawn:
   JBOT A 4
   loop
}
}

I think Arch's account got zorched to the flemoid dimension but for anyone reading this now, remember that powerup.duration is just an integer, and 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 just won't fit in 64 bits.

0x7FFFFFFF is a couple years worth of time and is more than enough time.

http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r03.pk3

noob1234

That's actually kinda funny lol. Why would it even work in 32 bits though? Maybe it just defaults to the maximum? Weird that there's no other way to make it indefinite, but it may as well be

In Language Lawyerese:

It's a decision the compiler can make, it just so happened that 32 bit gcc interpreted the number a different way than 64 bit did. Neither one is right or wrong because both numbers are invalid integers and undefined behavior.

My guess:

If it can't fit the whole number in 32 or 64 bits it tries to pick whatever it can fit into there, maybe it picked a different chunk of the data to interpret as an integer for the 32 bit version vs the 64 bit version.

Thanks to Acts19quiz for working on this new release!

Download link: http://ifocserv.net/ftp/wads/CQTLQB21_MPPatch_r05.pk3

Changes for r05:// Acts 19 quiz September 11, 2023

http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=2263.0
  Changes from v21.0 to v21.1 that were implemented:

- E1M1: Remove excess 3D sector tags.

- E1M3: Remove excess 3D sector tags.

- E1M4: Remove excess 3D sector tags; raise the walkway to the Orange Key to be above the flem.

- E1M5: Remove excess 3D sector tags.

Changes from v21.1 that were omitted for design reasons: (these are things we didn't take from Arch's v21.1 patch)

- E1M1: Remove the flem pillar that lowers a sector, and instead operate it by pressing a wall.

- E1M2: Remove the flem pillars.

- E1M3: The High Jump Boots were removed. The green force field deactivation switch was moved from the room the boots were needed for into the preceeding hall. The old room was converted into an optional secret room (unmarked as such) with new items.

- E1M6: Remove the flem pillars that lower a sector, and instead operate it with a walk-over linedef.

New fixes and improvements:

- General: Fixed key pickup messages; add missing dbigfont, IFOG, and QUAD sprites; fix MISL Propulsor sprites facing the wrong direction (an old chex.wad bug); Flemegaus Loricatus no longer hits other Flemoids; BRIGHT states added and removed for appropriate actors.

- E1M#: Mark inaccessible linedefs as invisible to the map; remove deprecated Doom Builder 3D mode spawns; 8-player co-op starts; unpeg doors; misc. map cleanup.

- E1M1: Fix things not spawning in Deathmatch; fix the end boardwalk's 3D roof; remove key messages and bump sounds whenever players walk in front of key doors; adjust sector brightness near the ending lights; fix an exit sign's improper sector references; add (uncollectible) items to the end to better align with E1M2's start; add a Deathmatch start for no other reason than to prevent crashes if the game mode gets switched to Deathmatch; remove non-functional 0-height sectors.

- E1M2: Fix things not spawning in Deathmatch; fix non-functional sound blocking at the Breakfast secret; remove excess "Line Horizon" that wasn't fully formed; a secret area had two sectors marked as secret; add (uncollectible) items to the end to better align with E1M3's start; remove 0-height sectors.

- E1M3: Fix things not spawning in Deathmatch; clarify non-functional teleporters; fix a Flemegaus Commonus not teleporting; mark a stray linedef as "Impassible"; add (uncollectible) items to the end to better align with E1M4's start; remove 0-height sectors; more consistent textures.

- E1M4: Add missing TeleGlitter generator; clarify non-functional teleporters; fix softlock caused by floor not raising; move Flemoids that can't move because they're clipping past linedefs; fix improperly joined sectors that prematurely alerted Flemoids in another room; mark a room boundary as impassable; remove 0-height sectors.

- E1M5: Fix things not spawning in Deathmatch; add missing teleporter from the end of E1M4; make windows impassible; fix a cliff's improper sector references; add (uncollectible) items to the end to better align with E1M6's start.

- E1M6: Add missing TeleGlitter generators; fix things not spawning in Deathmatch; fix sectors tagged as moving that shouldn't be; add (uncollectible) items to the end to better align with E1M7's start.

- E1M7: Remove problematic room with extra Flemoid and line trigger; remove excess TeleGlitter generator; remove 0-height sectors.

Boingo the Clown

Hmmm.  Have you got something against the flem pillars?