Author Topic: Map I'm working on: Chex Loading Bay  (Read 3722 times)

Offline LowResHero

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Map I'm working on: Chex Loading Bay
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »
Hello all!

Checking in as "LowResHero" for now as my ancient account is hopefully recovered soon with the help of your very friendly moderators!

I'll introduce myself (again) as Since5...I once made maps back when Legacy was relevant.  Mind you, I did so very poorly. I'm hoping that I've come back with a bit more common sense and skill.  For now, I wanted to display this map I've been working on-- the Loading Bay! Perhaps it could be polished enough to eventually be included in something a bit more wholesome. I dunno.  Thought I would just try my hand at this again. I forgot how fun it was. Apologies for the "meh" video quality. I clearly have a thing or two to learn about how to record for the most optimal output.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIsKanVOpw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIsKanVOpw</a>

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Map I'm working on: Chex Loading Bay
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:13:50 PM »

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
Re: Map I'm working on: Chex Loading Bay
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 11:03:55 PM »
 :whale
Welcome! I've heard of you and played your old maps; you've definitely improved.
I haven't watched the whole video yet, but so far it looks amazing!
I thought at first you were a spambot, and I was going to ban you if you made spam posts, but it turns out you're a returning old member!
I don't know what else to say, so I'll leave it here.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline LowResHero

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »
Well thanks! I'm hoping to keep it going and maybe even make a proper full set of maps.  Glad I met the threshold of spam, hahah.

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 01:35:05 AM »
Hey there! I've definitely heard of you. Saw through the video and it looks great! I wasn't sure it was you at first, but now that Awesomedude249 has posted I'll tentatively post. Hi!

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 71
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »
Since5 is the real deal guys. He was doing maps even before I released the first Newmaps.

Will the new map have the giant worm in it? :whale

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »
Welcome back Since5, this looks pretty cool! Good luck with the project.

You might want to try Open Broadcaster Software for game recording: https://obsproject.com/
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 03:23:52 PM »
Welcome back Since5, this looks pretty cool! Good luck with the project.

You might want to try Open Broadcaster Software for game recording: https://obsproject.com/
I was going to suggest that, but I forgot :D
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline LowResHero

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 08:09:26 PM »
75, thanks for the advice regarding recording software. I'll give it a shot! 

AND NO, XBOLT. I THOUGHT WE UNDERSTOOD IT WOULD NEVER RETURN!!!

Offline TrueDude

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 01:00:28 AM »
Great to see you back, you were before even many time in the community! Glad to see CQFF have activity again. I actually considered porting your old maps to more recent ports once, heh. (Way too swamped with current projects to even consider that though!)

Offline Since5

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 12:25:52 AM »
Well, even the thought is much appreciated, TrueDude! (But in all honesty most of those maps were terrible anyway...)  Still working on this one. Hopefully trying to make the concept a bit less boring.  E1M2 of the original Chex Quest wasn't far off, but so far it felt a bit more exciting than this the map so far. Gonna keep working at it. In the meantime I've been re-learning some tricks like 3D floors and scripts, and I thought of a few concepts for other levels, too.  I've been having a lot of fun with it on this long weekend. A bit updated for anyone interested:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfxEcXcwNEU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfxEcXcwNEU</a>

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 02:45:01 AM »
Hey Since5 glad to see you're around! Keep up the mapping, the more projects in development the better. Looks good too!

A couple suggestions, just some general aesthetics: in one of the first areas you have some small ledges you jump up onto to grab some items. If you upper-unpeg the brick texture on the ledge it'll align with the rest of the walls. Really helpful for adding details or windows, they look a lot nicer! Also I was once told a long time ago, you should inset doors in walls instead of make them flush (especially on the outdoor areas because the doors look like they disappear into the sky when they open!) See the doors in E1M1 for reference. Anyway take from it what you want, can't wait for a release!

Also your worm cyberdemon thing still haunts me. Lol
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Offline Since5

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
...in one of the first areas you have some small ledges you jump up onto to grab some items. If you upper-unpeg the brick texture on the ledge it'll align with the rest of the walls. Really helpful for adding details or windows, they look a lot nicer!

THAT'S how that's done!!! Thank you! It was actually bugging the crap out of me that I couldn't align all the textures correctly.  I'll also work on some of the doors-- I see what you mean. It does look strange when you look at it from outside.

Offline Since5

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
All right. I'm done- in a sense. I'm moving on to working on E1M2 and E1M3.  In the meantime, here is the final "draft" of E1M1. I don't know how I feel about it. I would love some constructive criticism. I feel like some spots are kind of dumb. Particularly the spiral staircase and the series of stairs leading up to the upper portion of the giant warehouse.  I would love some suggestions regarding either aesthetics or gameplay:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIHew9SxBgM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIHew9SxBgM</a>

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 01:01:09 AM »
I liked it, I do have some suggestions:

The landing lights in the corners don't really make sense to me. Perhaps make them more aesthetic lamps?

The spiral staircase could use some nice aesthetic lamps too, in my opinion, but maybe not 'cause it's a loading area.
I thought it was a little funny that you used the teleporter texture (SP_DUDE4) in a hallway that seemingly had nothing to do with teleporters.

Other then that, gameplay looks smooth, only spot I might have a complaint is when you go out on the balcony, it doesn't entirely look clear where to go. But that's it! Looks good!

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting