Author Topic: Chex Quest Replacement Patch (WIP)  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Flem Balloon (Flemoidus Hydrogenus)
Chex Quest Replacement Patch (WIP)
« on: August 08, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »
So, recently, I have been working on a little wad that replaces doom graphics and sounds with reasonable replacements from Chex Quest. I haven't gotten too far, due to me being highly indecisive as to what should replace what, but I have managed to swap out all of the graphics of the monsters themselves, as well as find a few textures that would swap out nicely. However, it is incredibly unfinished and unpolished, so I would like to ask for help from the community to help in locating graphics that would replace doom versions fairly well, as well as possibly create some new graphics for this to use, instead of having the darkened flemoids I currently have for a few of the monsters.

0.1 Download Link for those who are interested.

Some graphics I put in that might be questionable would be the temporary Archvile Replacement, remapped from the Generation 2 Iwad, as well as the Super Shotgun replacement and a few doors found in The Lost Quest. If anyone has any issues with me using them, I will remove them in the next update.

Decorate edits of the monsters to remove hitscan attacks, as well as adjust them in other ways for more accurate gameplay is planned for the future.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:16:01 PM by Nomekop »

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Chex Quest Replacement Patch (WIP)
« on: August 08, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »

Offline TrueDude

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Chex Quest Replacement Patch (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 12:48:59 AM »
Reminds me of The New Chex Quest 2. I've been being Boingo to do this with TUCQ but the amount of work involved would be crazy, so progress hasn't been made much on that front.

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »
So, considering the different sizes of the switches, I threw together an edit that fits in a 32x32 space.

Anyone is free to use them if they want.

Note that certain switch configurations with maps, including maps in the orignal doom have what is logical for open/locked backwards. There is no way to fix this, as it seems to be at random in the maps themselves.

Offline TrueDude

• Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 10:44:51 PM »
I made Boingo a whole slew of new textures, if you ask he may let you use them.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 63
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »
True.

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:09:32 PM »
Right now, the only resources that really catch my eye are DOOR15_3, LILDOOR1, and BAR1A0. If I could have permission to use those, that would be great.

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:30:29 PM »

Threw together some switches using the door textures. I think it looks somewhat nice, to be honest.

Edit: Again, anyone is free to use these. If you have a way to make the red version look better, let me know, as I would love to see it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:49:08 PM by Nomekop »

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »
If its a Doom replacement patch, try to keep it to textures only, so its compatible with other people using Doom at the same time. If you REALLY want some DECORATE edits, make a separate patch that includes them, otherwise you won't be able to do things like join Doom servers with CQ textures.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »
...join Doom servers with CQ textures.

I'm pretty sure that will only work if this is loaded as a Skins wad, Slimeinator's IWAD used to work as a Doom 2 stand-in in the Skulltag days but I've never been able to get it to work since.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:00:24 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:40:43 PM »
So, I'm not entirely sure how to allocate the texture replacements. I know I want UAC related items to have chex on them, while anything "hellish" should be replaced with Flemoid related textures. Question is, do I use the Flemoid Meteor textures for the Gothic or Hellish texture sets? Like, part of me wants to put the Sewer textures over the gothic textures, but then you would probably run into random sewers in the same areas as that of flemoid meteor textures. What do you guys think?

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 01:45:24 AM »
So, I'm not entirely sure how to allocate the texture replacements. I know I want UAC related items to have chex on them, while anything "hellish" should be replaced with Flemoid related textures. Question is, do I use the Flemoid Meteor textures for the Gothic or Hellish texture sets? Like, part of me wants to put the Sewer textures over the gothic textures, but then you would probably run into random sewers in the same areas as that of flemoid meteor textures. What do you guys think?
As much as your gut might be drawn to sewer textures for gothic, if I were you I'd look at what was going to be nearby... however something you might do if you thought it looked good is do sewer, but with slime patches all around the edges like the ones introduced in CQ3 to make it covered in slime. That's what I might do.

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/docs/editing/texture

I'm running off of this to get the texture themes. Some thoughts from other people as to what to replace textures with would be nice though.

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
If you give me some textures to replace, I can probably whip something chex-y up.
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »
Really, what I'm asking for right now is: what themes should replace what themes?

Also, on another topic: what types of lumps prevent multiplayer compatibility? I know that Decorate supposedly breaks it with any use, but I am unsure if other lumps do the same thing. Would a Language lump remain compatible?

And if there is some uses of decorate that remain compatible, let me know.

EDIT: Having been playing with this on autoload recently online, an interesting conundrum has come up: Should I try to replace more popular Realm667 monsters with Flemoids? And if so, should I stick those replacements in a seperate wad?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 04:05:09 PM by Nomekop »

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
Technically a double post, but I figure that this might work better at drawing attention than continuious edits.

In progress recolor replacement for the Skulltag Abaddon. I figure it looks somewhat better than just recoloring the slime.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:45:11 PM by Nomekop »

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting