Author Topic: Chex Quest Replacement Patch (WIP)  (Read 2118 times)

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 120
  • -Receive: 36
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
Re: Chex Quest Replacement Patch (WIP)
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »
That looks great actually! You could do that on the BWA for the different imp recolors too

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 09:53:24 PM »

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Flem Balloon (Flemoidus Hydrogenus)
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »
Ironically, recoloring armor seems to be a type of recoloring I actually feel is acceptable, as it makes far more sense than red flemoids :V
However, it takes a fair bit more effort. :|

But yeah, I'd like answers to the questions I've been asking.

Edit: Something that would probably help a great deal would be armored variants of the maximus. This would allow for me to replace the recolored instances of them, both the version in the main package, and the version in the addon that I have been working on, that has the shading pretty much gone due to repeating the process of halving the lighting level.

Then again, having more people willing to share their custom sprites would be nice as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:47:46 PM by Nomekop »

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 11:03:10 PM »
Technically a double post, but I figure that this might work better at drawing attention than continuious edits.

In progress recolor replacement for the Skulltag Abaddon. I figure it looks somewhat better than just recoloring the slime.

That looks really, really good. I like the way the slime ends up standing out in its firing port.
I would happily help recolor, but it'd come out in a sprite sheet, if that's okay. Would you be okay with splitting one up?
(Note: I have no ability to draw armor on a Maximus, it'd look terrible. BUT I would happily recolor the armor once someone with much more skills drew it.)

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 11:26:59 AM »
Alright, so I came up with a silly lore thing :P

Basically, the Black Armored Flemoids are considered to be their elite soldiers. This means that they will typically be the strongest form of that subspecies. Golden Armored Flemoids are more of... Well, between the standard and the elite. Now, this will probably mean that I'll need to work with other, custom flemoids if I wish to continue filling out the custom monsters.
...Which in itself is somewhat difficult when you consider that not all wads use the same sprite names for their custom monsters. (as I could see when traveling through KDIZD with my Skulltag Monster replacements, which caused bodies to be replaced.)

If I do throw together the "anti hitscan" patch, there will be one flemoid, only one, that still has hitscan attacks.

The Brand X Armored Bipedius.

which would have armor with a decorative x on the front of it, if I wasn't bad at custom sprites. Then again, I suppose editing the existing armored biped wouldn't be too hard, as it would just involve adding shading to emphasize the X.

"Brand X accepts employees of all species, regardless of present views and stereotyping. Brand X is not responsible for any interactions between employees."

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
It occurs to me that, considering how commonly modded enemies are renamed, that I would need to throw some sort of script together to support mods. Thing is, considering that we can't change enemy decorate to the correct sprites in engine, one would need to make a script that throws together a PK3 before loading the game. Note that this doesn't apply to the vanilla resources, since there is still a wide variety of mods that leave them alone.

So, if this is to support mods, then a script must be made that "compiles" a PK3 based upon the mods that would be loaded, so that one does not run into the issues of decorations getting swapped out with flemoids. This would need to be able to determine the mods loaded, and rename the sprite prefixes of flemoids in its library, as well as save them into a zip file, renamed to fit the PK3 extension. Bonus points if it can do all of this, then boot Zandronum to the server selected with Doomseeker, passing the command line parameters along to it in the process.

Of course, something like that is probably absurd to preform, so I suppose that it would be wiser to merely make patches for each, individual mod, and hope that the end user is wise enough to set the correct patches to autoload.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 05:58:20 PM »
It occurs to me that, considering how commonly modded enemies are renamed, that I would need to throw some sort of script together to support mods.
I would recommend working around this by providing pk3s for specific mods, e.g., MSPaintDoom has a special PK3 just to allow it to be side loaded with hard doom.

A script to automatically generating a pk3 for combinations of wads would be tricky to make, if both mods happened to define the same actor, or give the actor the same editor number, you would run into trouble trying to figure out which enemy to spawn. Eg, if hard doom had a custom explosive barrel with an ID of 12345 and Beautiful Doom had a custom weapon with an ID of 12345, what would happen if you loaded both at the same time? Or worse, what if both Hard Doom and Beautiful doom replaced the same actor? (this is pretty common, many mods replace weapons, for example). ZDoom even has trouble resolving these conflicts.

also oops, I missed some questions earlier

Also, on another topic: what types of lumps prevent multiplayer compatibility? I know that Decorate supposedly breaks it with any use, but I am unsure if other lumps do the same thing. Would a Language lump remain compatible?

And if there is some uses of decorate that remain compatible, let me know.

EDIT: Having been playing with this on autoload recently online, an interesting conundrum has come up: Should I try to replace more popular Realm667 monsters with Flemoids? And if so, should I stick those replacements in a seperate wad?

You can replace spirtes, patches, sounds, music, and graphics in a skins wad without causing problems, though note that there are certain exceptions to prevent cheating. E.g., if the player sprites are larger than the originals, the replacement might be ignored.

As far as I know, DECORATE, DEHACKED, ACS, or any other lump that has "code" is never safe to use in skins wads. PLAYPAL and COLORMAP will also be ignored to prevent cheaters from loading an "always render the game at full brightness" colormap. A language lump might work, though.

So, I'm not entirely sure how to allocate the texture replacements. I know I want UAC related items to have chex on them, while anything "hellish" should be replaced with Flemoid related textures. Question is, do I use the Flemoid Meteor textures for the Gothic or Hellish texture sets? Like, part of me wants to put the Sewer textures over the gothic textures, but then you would probably run into random sewers in the same areas as that of flemoid meteor textures. What do you guys think?
As much as your gut might be drawn to sewer textures for gothic, if I were you I'd look at what was going to be nearby... however something you might do if you thought it looked good is do sewer, but with slime patches all around the edges like the ones introduced in CQ3 to make it covered in slime. That's what I might do.

This is going to be tricky.

Level designers will use "texture hacks", e.g,. they'll slice up some texture and give it 8 px alignment offsets to make it look like something different (e.g., taking a 64 x 64 monitor and stretching it to look like it fits on a 128 x 128 texture), even Freedoom has trouble supporting these hacks.

What I would recommend is, test early and test often, with a wide variety of Doom PWADs, the only way to have perfect compatibility with all mods is to make Chex textures that are almost exactly the same in shape, color, and size, it would probably take a lot of creativity to make a Chex Tekwall, Crackle, GSTFONT, SKSPINE, STARTAN, or PLAT, but it would be very cool to see.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:17:20 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 08:56:35 PM »
The combinations of mods should function if the patches are loaded in the same order.

On the textures, I won't be able to get to the point of fixing up offsets if I don't have an idea as to what themes to use.

Edit: I ended up recoloring the slime on the chex warrior to the more saturated version on my dev copy, so I could then recolor the blue to green to support color changing without having a decorate script.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:30:47 PM by Nomekop »

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 12:24:20 PM »
Figure I should share some of the dev screenshots I took while playing some Armageddon, since well, I don't have enough to warrant a release.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

And a bonus screenshot of Shotgun Frenzy.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 04:19:02 PM »

I figured I would get some thoughts on this. Which of the two do you like better? I'm trying to figure out a way to have enemy variants other than just recoloring the armor, so I decided to add a colored strip to it in the case of there being more than three versions of an armored flemoid.

EDIT: To clarify here: The stripe going along the vents on the side definitely need to be retouched if I want the stripe "centered" on the armor properly.

EDIT 2: Edited a Bipedeus to match the second option. Seems like that might be best to go with, honestly. Still want to hear your opinion on it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:47:30 PM by Nomekop »

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »
I'd guess that the second super cycloptis and the third BWA would look the best; I think the more subtle edits look better, but the software renderer tends to turn things into a grayish blob at a distance in the dark, and in a rush you might not notice the blue stripe.

Maybe consider choosing a different armor color, so it's blue on something other than gray? That might help distinguish it. The black armor on the cycloptis variant you posted a while ago looks great.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 06:51:42 PM »
To be fair, the blue coloration is a default before changing it to fit the class of the flemoid. Replacing a Dark Imp variant with the purple attack? Black Armor, Purple Stripe. Simple in concept, probably difficult in execution.

Basically, the Armor color matches the "power level" of the flemoid, while the stripes are just for signifying variants of the same level.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:59:32 PM by Nomekop »

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 120
  • -Receive: 36
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 12:47:04 AM »
The upper stripe looks better to my eyes. I like the idea of recoloring parts of the armor rather than making it look spray painted on.

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 07:58:33 PM »

Basic design for the WolfSS replacement. not sure if I'm gonna fully continue this. No idea how to do the zorch effect, even if I am just doing the front frames. Maybe this can act as inspiration for someone else.

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You

Offline Nomekop

• a.k.a. frozenLake
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 04:00:08 PM »
There has been a significant amount of updates to the github, including adding a download to get ChexPatch-Main in a pk3 format, the link of which can be found below.
https://github.com/frozenLake/Chex-Patch/releases

Anyway, I'm gonna call out one person in particular: Boingo, could I please use the resources you have made for TUCQ? Of particular interest would be the smaller, chex logoed doors you used for the VileCore replacement, the depowered teleporters, and that decorate wizardry that gives flemoids a projectile attack when they can't reach the player.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting