Author Topic: Chex Quest: Doomsday (Rerelease!)  (Read 6909 times)

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 121
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
Re: Chex Quest: Doomsday (Rerelease!)
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 12:19:17 AM »
Also if anyone else wants to post demos of their playthroughs, I would love seeing them!

Oh... a demo... heh
I just finished! It took awhile, especially that last level. I got a bit frustrated near the end trying to figure out the switches and going back and forth in the slime, but I was able to beat it without cheating.
I'd say with the ammo and health placement and the amount of BWAs, Quadrumpi and Super Cyclopti my playstyle could best be described as "open door, alert flemoids, shoot and duck out of the doorway until they're all gone"
Sorry I didn't record a demo though! I guess my only complaint I can think of at the moment is that there seemed to be a lot of running around without being actively engaged in combat. Other than that it was a really solid mapset

Chex Quest Fan Forums

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 12:19:17 AM »

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 06:06:32 AM »
Thanks for the feedback noob! The slime part on the last map was supposed to be a one time trip, so sorry you got confused there! I definitely tried to minimize time spent running around not shooting anything so if you have any specific examples that'd be great. But I'm glad you liked it I think? Hehe

And 75, haven't heard of Empyrion so I'll have to check that out. One wad that came out recently that I'm still playing through is Ancient Aliens, I was wondering if you've given that a go. It's probably more similar to the levels I like rather than the ones you like, but the visuals I think are quite pretty regardless.
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 12:41:09 PM »
One wad that came out recently that I'm still playing through is Ancient Aliens, I was wondering if you've given that a go. It's probably more similar to the levels I like rather than the ones you like, but the visuals I think are quite pretty regardless.

I tried it, it's well made but... you guessed it, the gameplay isn't really what I'm into. I played through the first few maps and got burned out on the gameplay pretty quickly for more or less the reasons I mentioned before, and then I skipped around to different random maps in the pack and nothing really caught my attention. I just played with -nomonsters to look around after that. I'm kind of surprised that I didn't like the fights in this as much as Valiant, since it was the same guy (skillsaw). I can go into more detail on the combat/record demos if it will help.

The maps look good but he tends to put brightly colored neon lights everywhere which I don't like. I guess it's meant to give it a sort of cyberpunk feel but to me it just sort of looks like Christmas in Las Vegas or something (I couldn't really get into Far Cry: Blood Dragon for the same reason). The sky textures are really great throughout, though.

I really like seeing FPS games with lots of color but I guess I prefer stuff like Serious Sam which focuses more on creating a lush environment (that's sort of why I quoted Kodachrome in my signature) rather than accenting walls with brightly colored lights.

MAP01-MAP10 -- (The temple maps)

Personally, I prefer Epic 2's theme, which made a more realistic looking Egyptian environment. I guess I would have liked this more if he left out the metal and neon lights and made an ancient themed map set taking place at sunrise (maybe with purplish natural lighting / torches). The starting area of MAP26 is a good example of what I would have liked instead of this neon lights thing.

Though I know this is Ancient Aliens and I guess the neon lights fit into that.

MAP11 - MAP23 -- (the alien spaceship maps)

It looks good, but again, too many brightly colored Christmas lights for me -- pinks, purples, yellows, bright reds, I find it kind of distracting to look at

By the way, I think it's awesome that you can actually go into the UFOs.

MAP24, MAP25, MAP26, MAP27, and MAP29

MAP24 is my favorite map visually (it's really impressive and I'd like to see more maps use this theme). 

MAP25, 26, 27, and 29 I liked because they kind of have an abstract theme (floating blocks, and other bizarre / impossible architecture).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:03:43 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2016, 09:22:40 PM »
So, I couldn't remember where I got lost, so I said why not just demo and replay it?
...Well, currently here is the demo of e1m1-2... Ignore the E1M3 demo. I die twice and I'm about to go rerecord it
And it seems E1M1 and 2 weren't a problem in terms of getting lost. But here is the demo anyway just so you know how I played it :P
https://www.mediafire.com/?8n9oyd5wdc8rblr

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2016, 05:07:00 AM »
@75 Haha no need to go record anything for me, I was just wondering what you thought. I'm a fan of that retro neon 80s type of look so I think the colors are fun rather than trying to be serious and realistic. I was a pretty big fan of the way things looked in blood dragon too. The whole desert-Egyptian environment I wasn't too big a fan of but it didn't get in the way in my opinion. I'm also a big fan of abstract maps (been kinda wanting to make some for Chex) so I guess I have some to look forward to. I think the whole ancient alien things was kinda a joke at first but then they put effort into the maps, so I half treat it as a joke but also as a challenge.

@noob what source port did you use to record this? I tried zdoom 1.8.2 and gzdoom 2.2 and they both went out of sync.

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 07:02:43 PM »
@mob ah, sorry
I used the gzdoom svn from October 20th
EDIT: Recorded my E1M3 demo FINALLY, after multiple deaths and realizing that I couldn't start a demo from a saved game. Oops.
E1M4 and 5 to come soon
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:28:21 AM by noob1234 »

Offline darkstone

• Modding... modding... pulling hair out... modding...
  • Cycloptis
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 03:22:12 PM »
Whoa.
I'm now to E1M5. And whoa.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2016, 03:51:27 AM »
That's exactly what I was trying to convey with E1M5, awesome! Also, what source port are you using? I ask because you said the mapname is Flem HQ, which is a holdover from when I fragglescripted a different E1M5 map a long time ago.. You might be getting other weird mapnames hahah

Edit: appears to be a gzdoom thing. I guess that's what I get for testing on zandronum! I'll fix it in the update.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:09:56 AM by mob720 »

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2016, 05:45:05 AM »
Hey here's E1M4.
IDK if it's that I played through the levels multiple times, but I seem to be getting lost less. Though I haven't played E1M5 yet, I'll have to devote a solid couple hours (in case I die); I probably got lost most there
Although for the record, the first time I played E1M4, it took me a long time to figure out that the switch for the lift to get back to the red door was right next to the lift. :facepalm
Also sorry for making you download a different version of GZDoom. I figured if I recorded one level demo on that version I may as well record the rest on it though :/

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2016, 06:30:34 PM »
Edit: appears to be a gzdoom thing.

Oh, I remember something about that:

- (g)zDoom has fragglescript support, whereas Zandronum doesn't, I think it just ignores all of it.

- I'm not sure if Fragglescript is going to be added in in later Zand releases, to be safe you should probably remove the Fragglescript code you don't need.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline mob720

• still alive
  • Ultimus
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2016, 03:01:09 AM »
Roger that, it'll be a simple fix.

Also I'm more than okay with downloading different versions of gzdoom! I blame them for updating it so often, hahaha

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2016, 05:16:25 PM »
Finally done with E1M5, lol. That took awhile, and I guess I didn't get as lost as last time. I guess what had confused me were all the various lifts for the blue and yellow switches. And I had forgotten that there was that lift which was blocked by the blue and yellow columns.
Anyway, here it is!
EDIT: nvm it looks like you figured out the map name problem
https://www.mediafire.com/?699gq4v6qcev5sg
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:19:38 PM by noob1234 »

Offline Manhs

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 07:57:10 PM »
Sorry for the bump, i wanted just say, i have finished this expansion and it was awesome, the level design is really cool, the amount of enemies stressed me sometimes, especially in the 2 last maps.
I have played with difficulty 4/5- 1life per map but with the mouselook.

At the last map, there was so much danger everywhere, i was like "will i die?..." lol

But the last was very impressive and fun to play, i liked this airport ^^
Have you made some other projects ? :)

I'm uploading the video of the maps:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4llUo5q-U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4llUo5q-U</a>

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
Sorry for the bump, i wanted just say, i have finished this expansion and it was awesome, the level design is really cool, the amount of enemies stressed me sometimes, especially in the 2 last maps.
I have played with difficulty 4/5- 1life per map but with the mouselook.

At the last map, there was so much danger everywhere, i was like "will i die?..." lol

But the last was very impressive and fun to play, i liked this airport ^^
Have you made some other projects ? :)

I'm uploading the video of the maps:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4llUo5q-U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4llUo5q-U</a>
Cool video, but you shouldn't post in topics that are more than 2 months old. ;)
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline Manhs

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 12:15:37 AM »
Ah ok sorry ! :s
Sure !

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting