Author Topic: Looking for a laptop to stream media to a tv and connect to a piano  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
I have been producing music recently, using software only. I am thinking about connecting the piano I have in my living room to a computer so I can play melodies directly to the computer. Problem is, my computer is upstairs and the piano is downstairs. I've been considering getting a laptop for this reason (and for streaming movies/tv shows/youtube to my tv) but I can't spend much more than $300 on it. I found a cheap one that appears to be a good deal, but I wanted to consult some of the more tech savvy people on this forum about it.
TL;DR: Is this laptop good for streaming netflix/youtube and using FL studio 12?
https://www.amazon.com/Asus-F555LA-AB31-15-6-Inch-i3-5010U-Processor/dp/B011KFQASE/ref=pd_cp_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B011KFQASE&pd_rd_r=A8VDH83KVY3ZXGBFX3JM&pd_rd_w=wIGi8&pd_rd_wg=1AwSL&refRID=A8VDH83KVY3ZXGBFX3JM&th=1
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 26
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Looking for a laptop to stream media to a tv and connect to a piano
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
- The Asus laptop you linked looks like an okay laptop, but it's kind of on the expensive side for what you're getting IMO.

I would never buy another consumer grade laptops again, I try to buy business/enterprise class laptops because they just seem to be made better; they tend to be really expensive new but they are built well so the used ones are still very nice.

- Lately I've been recommending that people buy the Dell Latitude series used, e.g., this: https://amzn.com/B008OK05QC , they're great laptops; the only thing about used ones are is that you should probably reformat / reinstall Windows for safety.

Benefits of the Asus over the Dell I linked:

- The Asus has a Haswell instead of an Ivy Bridge intel, I've used the Haswell series at work too and IMO it's not a giant difference in performance; the i3 CPU in the Asus is kind of weak so they might actually be about the same.

- The Dell has a smaller resolution on its built in screen, (1366x768 vs 1920x1080 on the Asus), the Dell is smaller but this could make a big difference for you.

If you use an external monitor this is not very important, though; there may be other models of Dell that have a better resolution... let me know if you want me to look.

It's also sort of a question of how much space you have, if you're looking for a compact laptop this is what you want, there are larger Dells that have a bigger screen.

- If you decide to buy used, always get a laptop with a warranty, just in case the Windows license sticker isn't present (for the Dell, it's under the battery).

I can confirm that this laptop runs GzDoom very well even though it doesn't have a 3d graphics accelerator.

For $150 used you get a really solid computer that is pretty powerful. Memory upgrades and hard drive upgrades are really cheap ($120 later and you have a 1 TB mechanical hard drive and 16 GB of RAM, if you want), in my opinion this is the best bang for your buck.

EDIT: FL Studio 10 works very nicely on the Dell I linked, it plays the "Transient Processor" demo without any issues, I would probably be OK with the screen size but I strongly recommend that you try FL studio at 1366x768 on the PC you have now just to make sure you are ok with the resolution. You may want / need more screen space for FL Studio.

Note: I don't really use FL Studio much anymore, I found out later that FL Studio is not that great for making midi music (which is what I want to do), I use Aria Maestosa when I want to try to make music.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:04:54 PM by 75 »
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

Want a place to talk about Chex Pack, or Chex Quest in general? Join #IFOC: irc://irc.zandronum.net/IFOC

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm not really sure.
Re: Looking for a laptop to stream media to a tv and connect to a piano
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 09:56:13 PM »
- The Asus laptop you linked looks like an okay laptop, but it's kind of on the expensive side for what you're getting IMO.

I would never buy another consumer grade laptops again, I try to buy business/enterprise class laptops because they just seem to be made better; they tend to be really expensive new but they are built well so the used ones are still very nice.

- Lately I've been recommending that people buy the Dell Latitude series used, e.g., this: https://amzn.com/B008OK05QC , they're great laptops; the only thing about used ones are is that you should probably reformat / reinstall Windows for safety.

Benefits of the Asus over the Dell I linked:

- The Asus has a Haswell instead of an Ivy Bridge intel, I've used the Haswell series at work too and IMO it's not a giant difference in performance; the i3 CPU in the Asus is kind of weak so they might actually be about the same.

- The Dell has a smaller resolution on its built in screen, (1366x768 vs 1920x1080 on the Asus), the Dell is smaller but this could make a big difference for you.

If you use an external monitor this is not very important, though; there may be other models of Dell that have a better resolution... let me know if you want me to look.

It's also sort of a question of how much space you have, if you're looking for a compact laptop this is what you want, there are larger Dells that have a bigger screen.

- If you decide to buy used, always get a laptop with a warranty, just in case the Windows license sticker isn't present (for the Dell, it's under the battery).

I can confirm that this laptop runs GzDoom very well even though it doesn't have a 3d graphics accelerator.

For $150 used you get a really solid computer that is pretty powerful. Memory upgrades and hard drive upgrades are really cheap ($120 later and you have a 1 TB mechanical hard drive and 16 GB of RAM, if you want), in my opinion this is the best bang for your buck.

EDIT: FL Studio 10 works very nicely on the Dell I linked, it plays the "Transient Processor" demo without any issues, I would probably be OK with the screen size but I strongly recommend that you try FL studio at 1366x768 on the PC you have now just to make sure you are ok with the resolution. You may want / need more screen space for FL Studio.

Note: I don't really use FL Studio much anymore, I found out later that FL Studio is not that great for making midi music (which is what I want to do), I use Aria Maestosa when I want to try to make music.
I don't need this laptop to use FL Studio in general, I just need it to record melodies off my piano to FL Studio and to stream stuff to a projector/tv, but thanks for your input. I'll check out the Dell
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting