TPD News

Started by Boingo the Clown, October 24, 2017, 12:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boingo the Clown

This is kind of like the TUCQ and DeiMWolf progress threads.

I will post things here from time to time.

October 24:

After some difficulty, we got TPD to run as an IWAD on a Zandronum running off my machine.
Mastrius and I had particular fun playing through the original DooM levels in TPD.

Because there are no distinct player sprites, just the same mannequin sprites used by the monsters, we found we kept mistaking each other for monsters and shooting each other by mistake.  As a temporary fix, I put together a skin using the player sprites from Strife.

Also

As of a few days ago, the official policy regarding version naming went into effect.  Instead of version numbers (v0.003) the versions will simply be the date of upload in the form YYMMDD.  A version uploaded today, for example, would be TPD171024.wad.
If by some chance multiple versions get uploaded on the same day, a letter in alphabetical order will be added to the end of the date.  TPD171024a.wad for example.

Boingo the Clown

The current version of TPD is ...

http://www.doomlegends.com/tpd/TPD171027.zip

Here is the skin using Strife sprites converted to TPD's palette.  It makes it easier to tell the difference between players and monsters.

http://www.doomlegends.com/tpd/temp/strifeguy.zip

Boingo the Clown

Ummm ... added some stuff.

The curent version of TPD is ...

http://www.doomlegends.com/tpd/TPD180210.zip

Boingo the Clown

Truedude found a set of deathmatch levels by DooMkid, and got permission from DooMkid to use the levels in TPD.

The levels were evaluated and ranked, and the 9 best levels now make up the fourth episode of TPD, "Warworld", and episode strictly dedicated to deathmatch.

Monkey has bee working on new original music for TPD.  He has also kindly made an archive of his older music (150+ tunes) available.

If you have played TPD, then you have already heard some of Monkey's work.  The two tunes I originally put into it were both by him, so you know whatever he does for us is going to be good.   :)

Frozen Lake has added several new textures, so TPD is slowly becoming less and less of a nightmare in stucco.  I have added a smaller number of my own textures that strongly resemble the textures in DooM.

I have been scouring the internet (especially opengameart.org) in search of public domain graphics and sounds, some of which may evetually become permanent additions to TPD.  Many others are only being put in as temporaries until better replacements become available.

Hopefully, there will be a new release soon.

Boingo the Clown

Boingo the Clown

New release of TPD

http://www.doomlegends.com/tpd/TPD180528.zip

Some new textures added of changed, Some of the deathmatch levels retextured, NEW MUSIC ADDED!

Boingo the Clown

Boingo the Clown

Sorry for not posting this a lot sooner.

My bad.   :-[

We've had a new spriter, CWolf, join in on the fun, and he has been working overtime making new sprites.

Also, we are testing out a new palette with a better range of colours.  If this works out, it will be the the new TPD palette, and the one we will stick with from now on.

Yes.  I feel your annoyance.  It is the third palette change since the project was revived, but if this one work out, it will probably be the final version.

Boingo the Clown

New TPD

http://www.doomlegends.com/tpd/TPD180827.zip

Several of CWolf's sprites have been added, but not all.

I'll fix that soon.

Boingo the Clown

Ummmm ...

... working on stuff?

Boingo the Clown

I've got a new set of Statusbar face graphics working.  They were rendered using DAZ Studio, DAZ's Michael 4 character model, the Freak 4 character morph, plus a combination of some other character morphs to create a suitably burly looking protagonist. The renders were actually done at the final size (29 x 29 pixels).

And here is the result.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The graphics were imported into my ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro from 1996 (!) in order to convert the renders over to TPD's palette, and do some basic editing.  The irises and pupils of the eyes did not appear in the renders for example, and I had to add a couple of simple dots to stop him from looking posessed.

I lot of the graphics did not turn out as nicely as the ones above however, with many of the details for the injured versions of the player not showing up well or not at all. Finer details of the face are a little muddy too.  At some point in the future, I will have to go back and do a lot of repainting.  I am going to leave them alone for now however.

The ouchface sequence and the evil grin are not redered at this time.  I will add them when I can.

I also added some zombie sounds I found at opengameart.org.  The zombies no longer fart when they see the player.  Definitely a good thing.

Boingo the Clown

New zombie sprites rendered in DAZ Studio.

The sprites are a little bit crude, and will need some editing done on them in the future.  They are also slightly taller than they should be, more along the lines of Hexen enemies, but I would say they are successful.

Boingo the Clown

Playing with the palette ... again.   :facepalm

I promise that if this one works out, it will be the very last one.

Also, if it does work out, then I can get around to the long and unpleasant process of converting all of the graphics over to the new palette, and work on the project can start moving forward again.

Boingo the Clown

Oh!  The procrastination!

I kind of hunkered down when the virus hit, and progress stopped completely.  In fact, progress on all of my projects stopped when the virus hit, and I have only been working on anything at all in the last few weeks.

Sorry about that.

The version I just uploaded is not too good.  The palette is changed to what I hope is the final palette, but only bits and pieces of new content  from other creators have been added.

However, I decided it was better for me to upload this crummy version and get thing going again, rather than waste a few more weeks fiddling with it first.