Chex Quest Newmaps - Let's Play Video

Started by SSF156, December 15, 2017, 08:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSF156

All:

I made a let's play video of Xbolt's Chex Quest Newmaps.

https://youtu.be/AEpUX_qVnu0

Above is the link, I hope you guys enjoy.
Keep on Zorching.

xbolt

Wow, that was a nostalgia trip. :whale

Can't believe it's been almost ten years since I released the last version of Newmaps. But I still remember all the stuff, and I was always like "No, go back! You missed a secret!" lol

And I'm not exactly sure, but something tells me I might have been a little generous with the LAZes there...

As for the MIDI shenanigans, that's unfortunately not just you. The Legacy beta does the same for me, which makes me really sad. Additionally, the text ending screen you got was just the default Chex Quest one, and not the magnificent Shakespeare-level prose that I had written. Which makes me even more sad. I myself have not done a playthrough of Newmaps on the new engine, so I don't know if any of my extreme scripting hacks in episodes 2 and 3 will break. Gonna do some investigating.

EDIT: Investigation done. I got the venerable Legacy 1.42 to work on my Win10 machine. Turns out, at least for me, it wasn't Windows at all, it was an Nvidia driver issue. What you need to do is download Nvidia Profile Inspector and open it. Then from the huge profiles drop down list, scroll down to Star Trek: Legacy. (Uses the same .exe filename as our boy Doom Legacy) Then in all those options go down to section 5 (Common), and change Extension Limit from 'off' to 'on'. Then run Newmaps in Doom Legacy 1.42 as was ordained in the ancient texts.

Can't believe it was that simple.

Super Searcher

Dang nab.. It's been forever since I've thought of this. I'm glad to see it's still relevant, and that people still love it as much now as they did then.

Kudos to you SSF, and I'm very much looking forward to your let's play of the next episodes!  :whale

Side note: Xbolt's interested in doing a Newmaps developer's commentary with myself and our youngest brother, would y'all be interested in that?
The creator of "A Miner Catastrophe". http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?board=43.0

Hey guys look! Its a giant mushroom, maybe its friendly! :D

Awesomedude249

Xbolt's interested in doing a Newmaps developer's commentary with myself and our youngest brother, would y'all be interested in that?
[/quote]
I would
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Atariangamer

Shoot, I'd be interested in a dev commentary. Back when I played this, that wasn't feasible, but I'd love to hear recollections about the whole thing.

Fond memories... simpler times.

Oh, yeah, and hey there, I guess.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Awesomedude249

Oh, yeah, and hey there, I guess.
[/quote]

:D
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Datra

Quote from: Super Searcher on December 16, 2017, 10:36:58 PM
Xbolt's interested in doing a Newmaps developer's commentary with myself and our youngest brother, would y'all be interested in that?
I know I would. Newmaps was one of the things that originally brought me to the CQFF. :D
CQHD Community Dev

noob1234

Super Searcher

Holy cow, it's been 8 months since I asked this? If anyone's still alive this is still in the works.

Xbolt and I are going to be starting recording *soon*, tell all your friends!
The creator of "A Miner Catastrophe". http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?board=43.0

Hey guys look! Its a giant mushroom, maybe its friendly! :D

SSF156

I'm still down to do this commentary! If anyone here is still alive! Lol

Quote from: Super Searcher on July 31, 2018, 09:48:41 PM
Holy cow, it's been 8 months since I asked this? If anyone's still alive this is still in the works.

Xbolt and I are going to be starting recording *soon*, tell all your friends!
Keep on Zorching.

Boingo the Clown

King Ezra The Wise

my favorite is the star wars references in episode 1