Author Topic: Chex Quest Newmaps - Won't Load  (Read 692 times)

Offline SSF156

• Shane
  • Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Shane, Lincoln U - PA '18
Chex Quest Newmaps - Won't Load
« on: January 06, 2018, 05:41:16 PM »
Is anyone else having an issue running Chex Quest Newmaps on Windows 10? I was told to download the latest source port and it does work. However, the source port causes the Midi to not work. Some parts of the midi play while some do not upon looping. If I run the traditional Doom Legacy V. 1.43 it crashes on loading, stating, "signal handler segment violation."
Keep on Zorching.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Chex Quest Newmaps - Won't Load
« on: January 06, 2018, 05:41:16 PM »

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Self-Proclaimed ACS Grandmaster
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 29
  • If life gives you lemons, give its lemons back!
    • Chex Quest: Reflections
Re: Chex Quest Newmaps - Won't Load
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »
"signal handler segment violation" is a more generic program exception, and likely has to do with the age of traditional Doom Legacy and running on newer hardware/software.

Newmaps itself is an older mod and hasn't been updated in sometime. The issue with Midi is also likely due to age, but this time the mod itself. I'd say best bet is to try the versions between latest and 1.43 until you find a balance.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Give God your life; You won't regret it!

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »
Will Newmaps work on newer source ports like GZDooM?
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 10:53:13 PM »
I highly doubt it, but I'm not the expert on Legacy. Legacy and ZDoom used different formats for various things (in particular, I believe Legacy doesn't have DECORATE and instead uses DEHACKED to achieve something similar. Don't quote me on details, I never looked into the specifics of Legacy).

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life!

Offline xbolt

• The Man with the Beard
  • Administrator
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 69
  • Honor the Fallen
    • The Page of Xbolt
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 02:38:13 AM »
No, Newmaps used so many Legacy-specific tips and hacks it's not even funny. GZDoom is right out.

I am able to run 1.42 perfectly on my Win10 setup, so I don't understand why you would be getting segfaults. See, the problem with those is it's such a generic error that could mean just about anything. Hard to pin down what the exact cause is.

Here's a thing: try to start 1.42 in software mode. You'll get some issues with rendering some of my stuff, but I'm interested to see if it will get past the segfault.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 02:56:45 AM »
Jumping in with a note here...

1.44 and up have a weird MIDI issue that isn't fully diagnosed. I think it has to do with how the sound library is setup...
1.43 was a Mac only release that, strangely enough, doesn't fully work on either PowerPC or Intel Macintoshes (I've tried, several times).
1.42 was the de facto standard for awhile. Just take some time to set up the video modes and such.

BTW, Xbolt... does the mod have odd loading requirements? Like, chex.wad renamed to doomu.wad, or did you fix that? It's been ages...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline ChexMaster2109

• Chex Master
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 04:23:40 AM »
1.43 was a Mac only release that, strangely enough, doesn't fully work on either PowerPC or Intel Macintoshes (I've tried, several times).

Well that would be why there's a segfault. If it's Mac only though, how did he manage to get it to start in the first place...? o_O

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 62
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 11:51:28 AM »
Did you say it uses a lot of Legacy specific hacks?

What kind of hacks?

As you may recall, T.U.C.Q. was Legacy specific and made heavy use of hacks before it was converted over to GZDooM.

Maybe it is possible to convert it to GZDooM.

Offline Atariangamer

• Dormant User
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
  • Keelah se'lai
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »
Did you say it uses a lot of Legacy specific hacks?

What kind of hacks?

As you may recall, T.U.C.Q. was Legacy specific and made heavy use of hacks before it was converted over to GZDooM.

Maybe it is possible to convert it to GZDooM.

Off the top of my head... an absolute ton of FraggleScript and DeHackEd, specific uses of Legacy's corona dynamic lights, fog, water, 3D flooring, Legacy-specific linedefs, and probably at least a few instances of mapping that would freak other engines out in their current states.

All of this can be converted, but it would require converting quite a few objects into DECORATE (from scratch), a lot of fiddling with dynamic light settings to get certain effects back, and rewriting several levels of scripting. Also... The third episodes secret would probably take *ages* to get running correctly again.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 17
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »
Well, ZDoom has FraggleScript and DeHackEd compatibility. I'm not certain to what extent. It doesn't have Legacy Corona Lights though. I'm not certain of the rest, but it may be worth trying.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline noob1234

• Just your average noob
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 121
  • -Receive: 38
  • Pikaware! I choose you!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 07:05:53 PM »
Man, Legacy’s dynamic lights are still better than GZDoom’s...

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 62
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
The fraggle script will work without trouble in GZDooM, but the nonstandard hacks will not.  They may even be the cause of the segment violation error in Legacy 1.43, seeing how I came up with the nonstandard hacks for 1.42, which was the main version of Legaccy for over five years.  The Legacy linedefs should also work in GZDooM.

The DEHackEd  lump will have to be redone as DECORATE.  You will need to play the wad in version 1.42 to see what the different monsters do.

I am unable to help, unfortunately.  I may have come up with the non standard hacking, but it was a long time ago, and with my recent move, all of my notes are lost.

And I agree. Legacy's dynamic lights do look better than GZDooM's. Hurdler did a really nice job on them.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting