Chex Quest Beta Screenshots?

Started by rabbids123, December 18, 2018, 12:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbids123

Hi everyone, (sorry I haven't  introduced myself yet) I was looking at the scan\s of the chex box from xbolt's Chex Quest Gallery, and found that the screenshots on the back look like they were taken from an early version of Chex Quest.

The font's different for the health, zorch and armor counters and the place where the chex logo was has a weapon ammo count list like doom that looks awfully similar to the one in chex patch.

I've also noticed that the level in the screenshot attached doesn't look like any of the levels in the final game.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Battling Kan since 1996.

Replica

Hey man, welcome to the forums! That's a pretty good find! The quality of the photo, along with the original resolution of Chex Quest makes it pretty difficult to determine if the font is actually different or not. You do have a point about the ammo count though. I don't recognize the room either, so it is possible that it was some sort of test room. If it is in the game though, I imagine it's in  E1M3 (the labs) based on the textures used.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

rabbids123

here's another screen.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Battling Kan since 1996.

QuadrumpusGuy

The screens are kind of odd; parts of the HUD are inconsistent with each other (50 or 10 Zorch and 10 or... no Zorch? Also a cap of 50 on all Zorch seems inconsistent unless there were other plans with the zorchers). That, plus the size of some of the textures with respect to each other in the first screenshot (giant ceiling panel or tiny wall panel?) make me wonder if these are real screenshots. That being said, I wonder if any alpha/beta/development artifacts still exist on a hard-drive somewhere.