Chex Quest Extended

Started by ChelonianEgghead, December 24, 2018, 07:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChelonianEgghead

This is the first mod ever made for Chex Quest to include all-new levels, made by Loremaster in 2003. The new levels are E1M6 and E1M7, the previous one being the same as in Chex Quest Episode 1, and the successive ones being placeholders. They are still fun to play, and an important part of the Chex Quest community's history.

Download: http://cqalliance.tripod.com/id9.html

Mirror 1: https://www.moddb.com/games/chex-quest/addons/the-new-chex-quest

Mirror 2: https://archive.org/details/stephenvk_zoho_Cqev
Remind me — Avengers Infinite Warfare was about the Justice League teaming up with the Galaxy Quest crew to stop that Thanos guy from Fortnite from collecting the 7 chaos emeralds and activating the Ark, right? Really is the boldest crossover in film history.

Hi there, welcome to the forums!

It doesn't look like this is really The New Chex Quest, the readme file seems to indicate that it's "Chex Quest Extended Version 2.0" by Loremaster.

================================================================
Title                   : Chex Quest Extended Version 2.0
Author                 : "Loremaster"
Email Address           : loremaster@comcast.net
Misc. Author Info       : Tired, Cranky, Nutz, and....... uh.. whatever else

Description             : New CQ Levels, original CQ Graphics and sounds

Additional Credits to   : Boingo the Clown for creating TUCQ, which is what got me into this; Ralston, Walters Molitor for CQ in the first place; Froghawk, for finding the hidden WAD on the CQ CD that I used to build these levels.
================================================================

* Play Information *

Episode and Level #     : E1M1-E1M5 are original levels. E1M6 and E1M7 are in BETA form. E1M8 is a placeholder.
Single Player           : Yes
Cooperative 2-4 Player  : Yes, on E1M1-E1M4
Deathmatch 2-4 Player   : Yes, E1M1-E1M4(E1M2 is best though)
Difficulty Settings     : Yea, on E1M6 to E1M7
New Sounds              : None of my creation. Only from the original CQ
New Graphics            : Same as above
Demos Replaced          : Yea, but none of my own.

* Construction *

Base                    : A hidden WAD on the CQ CD (Credits to froghawk, he clued me in on that one)
Build Time              : A Month now...
Editor(s) used          : Wad Author
Known Bugs              : Eh, some textures don't blend that well. Lighting needs to be fixed too. Nodes don't work on Open GL mode yet.

* Copyright / Permissions *

You may redestribute this WAD so long as it has this text file with it. You may use it to build aditional levels or graphics, but tell me. I'll wanna play them!

* Additional Description *

Most charicters were replaced when this wad was first made.

You -----------------------> Chexwarrior
        Rifle Soldiers ------------> Flemoidius Commonus
        Shotgun Soldiers ----------> Flemoidius Bipedicus
        Imps ----------------------> Armored Flemoidius Bipedicus
        Demons --------------------> Flemoidius Cycloptidius
        Baron of Hell --------------------> Flembrane

Still, I haven't played this before or heard of it, so thanks for uploading it! I'll check it out.

Where did you find this?

Also Chex Quest Discussion might be a better place to put this, generally this subforum is only for TUCQ related stuff (Boingo's mod)
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChelonianEgghead

Well, it turns out that this wad was not "lost to the sands of time" as I had thought. I was using the Wayback Machine, browsing through all those old Chex Quest fan sites on freewebs.com (namely since5's and The Slimeinator's), and it was via a link on since5's site that I found Loremaster's site, The Chex Quest Alliance at cqalliance.tripod.com

Anyways, on his site the link says: "The New Chex Quest Extended 2.0 BETA. It now has 2 new levels!", and it (mostly) matches the description give on the wiki. What I can't figure out is why the wiki credits Manny Cav, and links to his old website. Not much of it was preserved on the Internet Archive, but perhaps Loremaster let Manny Cav take over development after a while, and that's why his site only has Beta 2, while the wiki says there was a Beta 6. </speculation>

We should really ask them. I'll send them both a PM.
Remind me — Avengers Infinite Warfare was about the Justice League teaming up with the Galaxy Quest crew to stop that Thanos guy from Fortnite from collecting the 7 chaos emeralds and activating the Ark, right? Really is the boldest crossover in film history.

After digging around a bit and asking around, it appears that Loremaster's "New Chex Quest Missions" / "The New Chex Quest Extended" has nothing to do with Manny Cav's "The New Chex Quest", but I can see where the confusion came from.

http://cqalliance.tripod.com/id9.html

Loremaster's mod seems to date from around 2003, from the looks of it, his "The New Chex Quest Extended" is well.... an extension of "New Chex Quest Missions". Loremaster and Manny did not appear to collaborate on each others' wads, the timing doesn't work.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

QuadrumpusGuy

The naming of some of these level sets is confusing... I remember having to deal with that when searching for a particular wad with 75's help.

Quote from: QuadrumpusGuy on January 26, 2019, 06:32:57 PM
The naming of some of these level sets is confusing... I remember having to deal with that when searching for a particular wad with 75's help.

So you mean I shouldn't name my next wad The Ultimate New Ultimate New Chex Quest 3 II: Advanced HD Generation 2 II: Age of Kings Director's Cut The Next Generation Extended Gold Collector's Edition 2 II & Knuckles 2 II: Definitive Edition: Remake: Remastered: Remake: Remastered? Back to the drawing board I guess.

ChelonianEgghead

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I'd like to pint out that Loremaster's wad is supposed to be the first-ever Chex Quest wad featuring new levels according to the forum history, which is kinda cool if you ask me. BTW, do you know where I can learn more about and download Manny Cav's The New Chex Quest? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Loremaster

Sorry about the confusion folks. I'll try to play a better Tarot and read more tea leaves when naming lame level packs for cereal games next time.  :whale
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

ChelonianEgghead

Edited the original post with corrected info and a link to Loremaster's site. For archive purposes, the original post read as follows:

======================================================================================================================================================================================

Download: https://www.moddb.com/games/chex-quest/addons/the-new-chex-quest

Mirror: https://archive.org/details/stephenvk_zoho_Cqev

From the Chex Quest wiki:

The New Chex Quest is a project by Manny Cav designed to make what a full Chex Quest IWAD might have looked like when Chex Quest was first released in 1996, with all Doom content replaced, including levels, maps, music, and sprites. As such, it is made to be compatible with the original Ultimate Doom engine. While the WAD can work with the original Ultimate Doom engine, the ZDoom source port is recommended due to a BEX patch used to change the text in the game. The WAD is not based on chex.wad, but on a hidden WAD on the Chex Quest CD, DOOM.WAD. As such, there are subtle differences between the first five levels of chex.wad and The New Chex Quest, mostly in E1M4, where there are now three supercharge Breakfasts instead of the normal one.

I thought I should post this here, because it is mentioned on the Chex Quest Wiki, but until now you could only find it on obscure websites in the Wayback Machine. So here you go, and happy zorching!

Loremaster

Haha, I feel like this will end up being a funny bit of trivia on the future gameshow "How well do you know your Emperor?" XD
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

chexman107

After I tried Chex Quest Extended, I noticed that the new levels were actually levels from DooM, the only difference being is that the graphics are in Chex Quest version (which is a secret hope of mine realized). Besides, I can only access M6-M8 by typing the change level cheat (i.e. leesnyder16 , 17, or 18); I can't get there by completing E1M5. Plus, in E1M8, the doors don't open automatically after defeating the two Flembranes. To reach the end of E1M8 (involving getting my health to nearly 0), I had to use the no clipping mode cheat (charlesjacobi) to get there. This version's far from perfect, but interesting gameplay.

Loremaster

Yep. I used the "hidden" (it wasn't really hidden, just not commonly known about for some reason) WAD from the CD that was intended for Mac users as a base. Since this WAD had all of the DooM levels intact, everything other than E1M1-E1M7 would just be the old DooM levels. Honestly, it is unfinished, and will remain so. I had ideas for a whole megaWAD, but never followed through.

The WAD was originally intended for use with a regular DooM source port, hence why you can't get to E1M6 from E1M5 if you're using Chukker's CQ3. It is also an IWAD, so doesn't need another WAD to function. It is a relic from WAY back in the past, before the DooM source ports incorporated Chex Quest compatibility, so when running it you have to approach it from that perspective.

I regret nothing!