Author Topic: Whaleware Browser Naming Competition  (Read 300 times)

Offline ChelonianEgghead

• Flemoid Minister of Space Conquest
  • Bipedicus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • SPAAACCCCCE Core 1, Portal 2
Whaleware Browser Naming Competition
« on: March 28, 2019, 08:04:30 PM »

Due to the many controversies surrounding Mozilla Firefox over the last several years - including Australis, Photon, Looking Glass, Pocket, Telefonica, EME, the removal of the RSS reader, and the discontinuation of XUL - Whaleware OS cannot reasonably continue to use it as the pre-installed browser. Therefore, the next version of Whaleware OS will come with a fork of Firefox developed by our talented team of whales at Whaleware Inc. We may also borrow code from other projects, possibly including Chromium, Brave, SeaMonkey, Waterfox, and Pale Moon.

While you wait, there's one thing we'd like to ask of you: a proper name for this endeavor! Unfortunately, few can understand the ultrasonic language of our whales, so we need human volunteers to provide an English name for the project. The beta is called Cetus, to honor the Mozilla tradition of naming software after mythical beasts. Also, the Debian maintainers have decided to call the their version "IceFish", after this little guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channichthyidae Still, we need something whale-ier for the release version. The winner will receive a free copy of the beta on French toast a full two months before release, a complimentary mug and T-Shirt, a lifetime subscription to our newsletter, and free upgrades forever - no need to ever buy another version! So what are you waiting for?

Just to give you some ideas, here's some of our favorite web software and technology names:
Firefox (duh), Phoenix, FireBird, Minotaur, Thunderbird, Timberwolf, Waterfox, IceCat, IceWeasel, IceDove, IceApe, Pidgin, Firebug, Basilisk, Gecko, Goanna, and Kraken.

Good luck all, we can't wait to see what you come up with!

Sincerely,

The Whaleware Human-Whale Relations Team

P.S. The next version of Whaleware OS will include a global dark mode and blast processing support!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:50:33 AM by ChelonianEgghead »
Remind me Avengers Infinite Warfare was about the Justice League teaming up with the Galaxy Quest crew to stop that Thanos guy from Fortnite from collecting the 7 chaos emeralds and activating the Ark, right? Really is the boldest crossover in film history.

Chex Quest Fan Forums

Whaleware Browser Naming Competition
« on: March 28, 2019, 08:04:30 PM »

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 64
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Re: Whaleware Browser Naming Competition
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
I will repeat what I said on Discord.

Baleen

It filters all the good stuff.  ;)

Offline Awesomedude249

• What am I supposed to put here?
  • Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 30
  • I'm not really sure.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 12:19:41 PM »
WhaleWeb
I used to be the new guy that no one talks to, now I'm just the vaguely familiar guy that no one talks to

Offline amdcrash

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »
This seems good and all but what about thunderbird?

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »
I believe that is already taken.

Offline ChelonianEgghead

• Bipedicus
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 08:56:08 PM »
If you mean "what will replace Thunderbird" then this fork will have both Firefox and Thunderbird (based on the UXP like Pale Moon and InterMail) built in to it, rather like SeaMonkey. Not only will switching to an in-house fork of Firefox restore full control to the users of our software, but it will also allow for far better integration with the system and lessen the need for hacks and workarounds.

Whaleware is not just another OS. It is professional multi-whale editing software, which you can get as a .WAD, .deb, .rpm, flatpak or built into Whaleware OS, which is based on the Linux kernel and various other software from the GNU project and the freedesktop.org project. Whaleware itself is a modular all-in-one window manager, file manager, browser/email/chat client, and collection of editors for all kinds of files. These are all tightly integrated into a single user interface that completely redefines or simply does away with traditional concepts such as taskbars and double-clicking entirely. Instead, open windows and their tabs are contained in a single bar (which can have multiple rows and even the current program's tabs in one row with a more traditional taskbar in another depending on your configuration) the top bar contains both a launcher menu and an app button for supported programs,  traditional menus (File, Edit, View, etc) which are accessed by mousing over the top bar like in Ubuntu, the current program and tab's title when inactive, and a system tray. While a maximized window is integrated into the desktop's panels, multiple windows can be open at the same time thanks to our custom tiling window manager, which integrates seamlessly with the rest of the system.

It is this seamless yet powerful integration of all programs into a single UI without sacrificing functionality or modularity that makes Whaleware a true multi-whale editing software, because while the applications are still distinct processes, they are so seamless to the user that it really is one whole package unto itself, and the included apps are just the beginning. Check out our massive catalogue of extensions at http://whaleware.xboltz.net/extensions.php the included app store, and the endless possibilities of modern web apps.  :whale
Remind me Avengers Infinite Warfare was about the Justice League teaming up with the Galaxy Quest crew to stop that Thanos guy from Fortnite from collecting the 7 chaos emeralds and activating the Ark, right? Really is the boldest crossover in film history.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 09:54:10 AM »
Fluke

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 12:16:11 AM »
Maybe "Wave Runner"?

Offline ChelonianEgghead

• Bipedicus
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »
Maybe "Wave Runner"

Hey, that could work!

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »
How about "Silver Diver"?

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting