Author Topic: Flemmed to The Core: a new Chex Quest 3 Episode [0.9.1. OUT NOW!]  (Read 638 times)

Offline zeldavxa

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
a.k.a. Thy Flem Consumed

I love Chex Quest. It's adorable, quirky, short and literally Doom. So what's not to love? Sadly the mod scene for the .iwad is... lacking to say the least. So I started working on a 5 level expansion for it, out of love.

The story is quite simple: The dastardly muccus species have taken things one step too far and have kidnapped the Chexian heads of state and taken them to their home galaxy. It's Chexguy's task to locate the portal Lord Snotfolus used, rescue the governors, and rice heck.

Level list
E4M1: Emergency Call
E4M2: Alien Cliffside
E4M3: Ruins of Mukabog
E4M4: Dash for the Finish
E4M5: In The Hall of the Muccus King

PRE-FINAL VERSION! IT HAS HOMESTUCK MUSIC NOW!
E4M3 ELEVATOR BIG FIXED

(Images hosted on Doomworld: Follow the link)
Download link: Mediafire

IMPORTANT:

• Load Along Chex3.wad, NOT chex.wad. Chex Quest 3 can be downloaded on here
  • Maps are made on UDB with the Chex Quest 3 (UDMF) configuration.
  • Contains files for a Double Large Zorcher (SSG replacement) and Arachnus (Arachnotron replacement) created by Stephen "Strife" DiDuro. Originally created for the T.U.C.Q. expansion "Strife's Level Packs". Permission has been granted to use them.
  • Wad file also contains ReaperAA's "ColdPal Beta 4" palette
  • Wad contains a duplicate of DOOM.WAD's file "dsstnmov" in order to fix a chex3.wad oversight that cause an annoying enemy alert to play on loop whenever a ceiling or floor move action was executed (this includes elevators, pillars and crushers)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:07:02 PM by zeldavxa »

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 18
    • Chex Quest Replica!
Re: Flemmed to The Core: a new Chex Quest 3 Episode [0.9 OUT NOW!]
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 01:47:56 AM »
Looks pretty neat! I'll have to try it when I find the time. Unfortunately the forum isn't as active as it once was, so don't get discouraged from the lack of a response up till now. Hopefully With HD coming soon, it might pick back up.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline 75

• [IFOC] Server Admin
  • Multiplayer Team Leader
  • Chex Master
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 30
    • IFOCSERV
Re: Flemmed to The Core: a new Chex Quest 3 Episode [0.9 OUT NOW!]
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »
Looks cool! I'll have to give this a try.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Offline ChelonianEgghead

• Flemoid Minister of Space Conquest
  • Bipedicus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • SPAAACCCCCE Core 1, Portal 2
    • Linux Boss
Oh wow, looks like I missed this. Definitely checking it out!
Remind me Avengers Infinite Warfare was about the Justice League teaming up with the Galaxy Quest crew to stop that Thanos guy from Fortnite from collecting the 7 chaos emeralds and activating the Ark, right? Really is the boldest crossover in film history.

Offline Felix

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Flemmed to The Core: a new Chex Quest 3 Episode [0.9.1. OUT NOW!]
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 10:25:18 AM »
I'm really enjoying this expansion so far! I'm only on E4M3 so far, a little stuck on these danged Flembominations, but I'm having a lot of fun, even dying as often as I do. That was a really creative use of those enemies to change the strategy entirely from "shoot everything that moves" to run, dodge, hide. Really like that. So far, I think your level designs are well done and really add a unique flavor that makes this expansion stand out from others I have played. And custom music! I'll give some more feedback after I finish the whole thing, but well done so far.

Offline Felix

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
I found a bug in E4M4. If you complete the "red door" section of the level with the large elevator that ascends from the Bazoikish cave area, and if you *don't* trigger the button at the top but then use the vent to get back to the main central area of the level, you get stuck with no way to return to that button and trigger it. If you go through the red door again at that point, that whole part of the level is graphically whacked out (presumably from whatever you did to make the elevator work). This shouldn't happen to most people, but I was dumb and missed the button, so I got stuck. Would there be a way to add a teleporter or passage back to the button if you re-enter the red door area of the level after going up the large elevator?

Offline Felix

• Commonus
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
I just finished this level pack, and I have to say, I really like it. I do have a little bit of feedback to consider, however. Just a few things I found confusing or frustrating.

In E4M4, it was a little confusing for me to realize that flipping the switch in each area would unlock the colored doors in the central "hub" area. I'm just so used to using keys to open those doors, and I wasn't observant enough to notice that there were originally barriers in front of the door that opened up after flipping a switch. The first time I played the level, I wandered around, quite confused for a while, wondering what the switch in the crate maze had done. I didn't even think to try the blue door, because I knew I didn't have a blue key. Once I realized how it worked, the rest of the level was no problem, but it wasn't particularly intuitive for me at first. While I like the idea of the switches and the barriers, perhaps it would be more intuitive to just use the classic key approach. Put the blue key at the end of the crate maze. That way there's an immediate connection between it and the door seen previously. Granted, there are blue lights around the switch in the crate maze, but you still may need to account for dummies like me :) Another option would be to keep the barrier design (which IS clever) but just put regular doors behind the barrier, and maybe color code the barriers themselves.

On E5M5, I found it so difficult to get through the first hallway full of enemies that I ended up charging through it with my spork as fast as possible, only to stumble on a teleporter that took me right to the boss. I'm assuming this is intentional, but maybe making the first few hallways slightly easier will encourage someone to move through it a bit slower and be able to enjoy the level as designed. I ended up assuming it was intended to be charged through like the sections on E4M3 with the Flembominations. I'm all about discovering secrets, but it actually took me a while to realize that there was another intended path.

Once I was on the right path, I enjoyed the design of the level immensely. The only part that was confusing is that it took me a while to realize that I needed to go back to the start of the level to find that the main Mucus King gate was now open. After I zorched the Flembomination, I was pretty confused for a little while on where to go next and what the switch had done. Maybe the large teleporter-looking platform where the flembomination appears could teleport the player back to the front gate?

All in all, really nice work. The whole thing did feel a little claustrophobic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think it is quite difficult overall, perhaps just a tiny bit too difficult, especially on the higher difficulty settings (I could only finish it on the standard difficulty) but I really like some of the ideas you came up with, and the overall design.

Online chexman107

• Commonus
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 01:06:30 AM »
I tried using chex3.wad as the source of opening this file. It didn't work; it only opened Chex Quest 3 as normal.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting