Chex Quest 3 Bummer

Started by Wodd, July 06, 2020, 08:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wodd

I see that the main topic for Chex Quest 3 has been closed (or, at least, appears to have been closed, since I wanted to put this post in it, but did not find a reply button). I found a behavior (specifically, a lack of a behavior) that is a bit of a bummer. When I replayed through the original versions of the first 2 episodes, I discovered that:
1. The second episode definitely had a major overhaul and was extremely buggy in its initial release, to include a probably extremely rare case of the final boss (the 2 maximus) being buggy such that they do not attack until 1 of them is defeated.
2. This is where the bummer comes in. In the original versions of Chex Quest and Chex Quest 2, if done strategically enough (in my case, via use of the invincibility and invisibility cheats), you can get the flemoids to attack each other. That is funny. Remember, commonus and bipedicus, if you have a cycloptis or larva say the second name of its potential favorite music artist (Bach) (and possibly bah, as in Ebenezer Scrooge's catchphrase, "Bah! Humbug!"), you are probably going to lose your battle! The armored bipedicus and quadrumpus definitely fare better; but, even they do not always hold up. But, they are funniest when their sound of returning to their own dimension resembles that of The Cheat (when they ask "How?" or say "ow" or whatever that sound is supposed to be). But, in the Chex Quest 3 compilation, that behavior appears to have been removed. That is the bummer. Other than that, that version still holds much replay value for me. Chex Quest HD is definitely quite a bit more challenging to start, but is well-designed. I have not yet found everything. The level redesigns definitely give it a different feel, yet it is definitely still Chex Quest. I think that I might agree with Fred Chexter's line with respect to the difficulty of the game. "High-definition is not your friend." (spoken upon his entrance into the "foyer" or "lobby" of the arboretum after taking its initial lift)
Given how long it took to design the first episode in the HD format, I am unsure if that will happen with the other 2.
"Cast your burden upon the Lord." (Psalm 55:22, Daysies, April 6)
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13, Daysies, March 10)

xbolt

I think that the removal of in-fighting in CQ3 was a deliberate design choice. Along with the propulser damaging the player, Flemoids zorching each other really doesn't make logical sense. Amusing, yes, but ultimately unwanted behavior. In the original, I suppose it was just leftover from the original Doom code.

I fixed the CQ3 topic, but as the last post was 11 years(!?!) ago...

Richie

Quote from: xbolt on July 07, 2020, 10:15:44 PM
I fixed the CQ3 topic, but as the last post was 11 years(!?!) ago...

Amazing that it's been that long.

Boingo the Clown