• Flembrane
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 69
  • Losing my grip on reality since 1973.
    • DooM Legends
Why?
« on: May 23, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »
If I accidentally leave a plastic bag or a tarp or anything on the lawn, two days later, everything is dead.

Every clover

Every blade of grass

Everything.

So I decide to take advantage of this and cover my flower bed with black garbage bags to kill the weeds.

Two weeks later

The weeds are just chillin'.

WHY?!?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 09:47:06 AM by Boingo the Clown »

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 19
    • Chex Quest Replica!
Re: Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 04:31:53 PM »
It's a good question, and an awesome meme. Guess it depends on the weed's species. Beyond that I don't know. You're probably better off with some weed spray or just yanking the thing out of the ground.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 10:22:54 AM »
I probably won't herbicides down IN MY FLOWER BED.

I don't think it is a good idea to spray something that kills plants where I want to put my plants.

For over a month and a half, my pepper plant just kind of sat there and looked like they were going to die at any minute.

A couple of weeks ago they finally started growing, and are finally growing at a rate that somewhat matches the rate at which the weeds were growing FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.

Maybe I will have some nice cherry bomb peppers by thanksgiving (October).

Offline Replica

• What do I have to do to get Arch-Vile to like me?
  • Snot Lord
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 19
    • Chex Quest Replica!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 04:48:22 PM »
I probably won't herbicides down IN MY FLOWER BED.
You know, that makes a lot of sense. :-[
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 03:24:53 PM »
With it being Thanksgiving, I may as well tell you how my harvest went.

I did manage to control the weeds by laying down some landscaping fabric, then covering the landscaping fabric in chicken wire to keep the fabric from getting ripped up, then fastening it all down flat with some long metal staples.

The bulbs I planted came up, but they didn't bloom.   :(

I planted cherry bomb peppers in the flower bed.  I planted them indoors as seeds way back in January.  I harvested about 35 cherry bomb peppers back in September, and got another 35-40 peppers a few days ago that I just stuffed with cream cheese and pesto.  They are going to make for a hot yet delicious treat as Thanksgiving today.

I had some disappointment in the potato department this year.

I planted some sprouted potatoes in some totes this year, as well as planting some more sprouted potatoes  in a small section of the flowerbed.  The potatoes in the totes appeared to be growing well up until midway through summer, when the vines started turning yellow and dying back.  The remaining plants were then systematically destroyed by some animal, either a squirrel or a raccoon, throughout August and September.  All in all, I only got a total of about 9 pounds of potatoes out of all three totes plus the flowerbed, which is disappointing, considering I got 7 pounds of potatoes out of the flowerbed alone last year.  The amount I harvested from the totes does not even cover the cost of the I bought at the store to fill them.

The thyme I planted in a bucket, that has managed to survive two winters outside, provided me with lots of thyme for chicken and other recipes this year, and the oregano I planted from seed also managed to come through.  The chives and basil were duds.

So it has been kind of a mixed bag this year.

Let's see how it all goes next year.

Offline Boingo the Clown

• Global Moderator
  • Flembrane
  • Thank You
    • DooM Legends
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 11:52:29 AM »
With the weather getting colder, and frost threatening, I picked the remainder of the cherry bomb peppers. 

There are close to 100 of them.  Sadly, most of them are not ripe.

I will put them in a paper bag with apples, and see if that forces them to ripen.

Web Hosting by InMotion Hosting