DECORATE conversion of Chex Quest for ZDoom use

Started by Zorcher, July 18, 2008, 02:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorcher

Has anyone started to think about converting Chex Quest to fully use ZDoom?  What I mean is, create an iwad pk3 that contains both Chex Quest 1 and 2 and add DECORATE code for all flemoids that make them behave exactly the way they did in chex.exe? (The flemoid commonus and bipedicus didn't shoot you from a distance for example and they didn't drop any ammunition.)

I may want to start on this project if nobody has.  I've always wanted to make my own set of maps or sprites, but I must admit I seriously lack experience in either of those categories.  I've always felt the additional Doom maps into the original IWAD and how the second episode is its own seperate pwad no longer needs to be.  I understand the fact that there may be a reason to have sprites and textures/flats the same name as Doom ones to ensure some compatibility between the two by playing Doom maps in Chex Quest, but why would anyone want to do this?

I dont' know if any of you know about my previous projects, but I do have some experience with dehacked and DECORATE as I converted Strain, a popular Doom II TC, from using dehacked to DECORATE to make it easier to add enhancements for.  I have way more experience with programming as seen in my Doom Connector 3 Reborn and Player Connector 3 projects, and I would like to do this.

This also should be the easiest way to remove the infighting and being hurt by rocket splash damage.

The Slimeinator

My mod has DECORATE for all the Flemoids, but it doesn't make them behave exactly like the chex.exe. I could, but I shan't.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Replica

I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

I was thinking the same thing...problem being that I'm not so good in DECORATE.
What would be good, IMO, is totaly DECORATE-ing everything. The enemies, the items, the weapons...EVERYTHING. Then what would also be cool (and much easier) would be taking DECORATE and all the items in TUCQ and making that work. It would be easier, and seeing as Zorcher has experience in DeHackEd to Decorate. This could also be the time for fixing the maps we already have, and figuring out problems. I'd say to do it, and if I could help, I would.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Batmanifestdestiny

I think that DECORATE-ing EVERYTHING is a bit redundent, you don't REALLY need to DECORATE the weapons.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Atariangamer

For ease of use, IMO. It makes more sense to me.

But a full patch of Chex Quest would be welcome to me, due to the fact it then gives a leapboard to a GZDooM patch for TUCQ
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.