I know this has been discussed before, but...

Started by TrueDude, July 23, 2008, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueDude

Why don't we make a source port exclusively for Chex Quest? But rather than use the engine of Zdoom or something else, try making it from scratch so we can modify much easier and wouldn't have any DooM "leftovers".

ChexCommander

We've been working on that one for a while....

The Slimeinator has been working on The Advanced Chex Quest Engine, however, he happens to get errors when he tries to compile it, so he is left without a file.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Manny Cav

Quote from: ChexCommander on July 24, 2008, 10:44:49 AM
We've been working on that one for a while....

The Slimeinator has been working on The Advanced Chex Quest Engine, however, he happens to get errors when he tries to compile it, so he is left without a file.
I do not think that True_Dude is talking about what The Slimeinator is doing, taking the code from an existing source port. I think he wants to make a new engine straight from the Doom source code that is Chex Quest oriented.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Okay, but we'd need someone on the job who could do it, and that's certainly not me.

Atariangamer

well, I might could take a hack at it...BUT, I will need a conversion from linux DooM source to Windows DooM source, and I will need to know what files contain the monster and text definitions...

Recently, I tried building Chocolate doom with p_chex.c...then building just plain CDoom...its bugged from start. Then, I tried building all sorts of engines, but they all crash during building.

What I would want in a CQ engine:
OpenGL rendering (a must, BUT! also include a software one)
Mouselook (just the simple one, nothing special)
jumping (not needed, but would be useful)
Dehacked support (...needed to be flexible)

This would be for a simple, windows port. Not a fancy OMG FEATURZ!!! engine....Its all I would want. Also, maybe release it with a nice version of TUCQ P1.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

Yes, a simple CQ engine would be nice.  That way, we don't have the..."I'm using GZDoom!" "OMG, I'm only using ZDoom!" "Yeah, well I'm still using Legacy!" "No way, I own with JDoom!" "Wait, what? You have an HD TV?" "Well, then what the heck am I doing using Freedoom?!"

Atariangamer

Bomb drop:

I recently (ovar vacation) got in touch with fraggle, leader over the Chocolate DooM project. I asked him for help on compiling the CDoom code so I could edit it to be a Chex engine.

...He got interested in what I was trying, and is making a chex mode into the next release of the engine.

O_O

However, its needing to take a DEHACKED patch, so I"m still thinking about making a full Chocolate Chex....but who knows.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.