Original Chex Quest concept art!

Started by Chukker, July 29, 2008, 01:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chukker

I was very suprised to find a few things in my big piles of concept illustrations which are clogging up my bookshelf, desk and closet. There were many more but most were left behind at Digital Cafe or given to Ralston. Too bad because they are probably lost to time now. Well at least we have these, they are kinda fun to look back at.

http://www.chucktropolis.com/chex/

The Slimeinator

Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Atariangamer

*JAW DROPS* WOW!

Those look awesome! I kinda wondered about yellow flemoids once...but those actually dont look to bad in that drawing...

I'd like to see those zorchers made into some sprites...all of them have a slightly different look...
Wait a second! If we could get that zorch propulsor and phasing zorcher made into a sprite set...We could use them as replacements for the grenade launcher and railgun in Skulltag!

And I actually don't see anything wrong with them...I like those!
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

xbolt

Batmanifestdestiny

The food launchers and the face-on-chex chexters were pretty funny, and did you have any idea of what weapon you were using in the first illustration?

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

ChexCommander

I liked those "M&M"-like versions of Chexter.  Sweet.

And the food launchers were awesome!  I wish we could use those!  :D
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

IMO, the bottom row of chexters is my favorite (slightly different from the current design)

The food launchers...those would be cool novelty weapons for a game...lol

Too bad strife isn't here...he'd probably like to see this.

Manny Cav

I like! I really do crave to see this sort of stuff. You know, behind the sceens stuff for Chex Quest.

The Mini-zorcher, Large Zorcher, and the Rapid Zorcher look similar or very similar to their current counterparts, so I see no value in trying to make new zorchers out of them. It would be too difficult for me to make sprites with such subtle differences, and I imagine that they would look bear little to no difference from the current ones. The other three, though, look somewhat different, and I could see some potential mileage for them in Chex Quest Arena. I've got a few ideas for them. 8)
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Thats what I was thinking...But that minizorcher...thats kinda really different...all are being held straight in front of the person, and its got some black cushion? around the edges...IDK

The Slimeinator

The concept art Rapid Zorcher looks like the "Stolen" CQ3's Rapid Zorcher.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

ChexCommander

Yes, that's what I thought it resembled too.  :)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Reallly? The CQ3 zorcher looks like that one...but that one is more box and less skeleton...

Also, if we had a sprite of that one (it looks completely different IMO), it could be the minigun in CQA.

Manny Cav

The concept Rapid Zorcher, in my opinion, looks hardly anything like the Chex Quest 3 version at all. The only difference that I can see is that the bottom base of it is stretched out significantly longer than the released Rapid Zorcher.

The "black cushion" on the Mini-zorcher is likely supposed to be the sides and stuff of the Mini-zorcher.

Do you see what I mean, how the side of it has two black lines and a little triangle attacked to the sides?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Yes, it does have 'wings' on the side, but comparing it...they just got rid of the cushion or what ever...
And it still is being held from the center view...not from the side.
The Large is not changed much, just centered.
The Rapid is slightly thinner and longer...and its got those 'horns' on either side.
The Launcher ... I think is the only one that I dont really care for. Its just a funnel with two buttons...maybe add the cartridge on --------------->the side or something...
The Phasing, I like alot. It would be cool to see that again. And its design is like nothing else. Same generic shape, but different
--------------->from the current version...I'd like to see this.
The LAZ is not changed much. A slight few differences in shape (more hard edges), and a slight reconfig of the bottom half.
The boot spoon and spork are held differently...but not much different by design.

Manny Cav

I think the current Rapid Zorcher also has some small "horns". Now that I look at the current one, though, it also looks like the lights have been moved. Still, the changes are pretty negligible and, in my opinion, don't warrant a new sprite set.

I also couldn't see any purpose to making new sprite sets just to make them center-view.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010