Map making guides?

Started by Frizkie, July 30, 2008, 11:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frizkie

Are there any COMPLETE guides to mapmaking? I'm new to it but I REALLY want to learn how.

The Green Avenger

I'm sure there are, but they're basically all for DooM.  As for DooM Legacy, I don't think there's a real full dedicated tutorial regarding it.

I am working on a tutorial on how to map for CQ in DooM Builder.  It is a work in progress, and so far only covers doors and lifts, but if you want to check it out,  here:

http://chexquest.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_for_Chex_Quest_-_DooM_Legacy_Edition

Hope this helps, even though it isn't complete.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Atariangamer

I cant give you a quick tutorial on that...But I learned by opening chex.wad and looking at the maps and how stuff is put together...and TGA's guide is very good, and Legacy is the best place to start IMO. Very simple, but good results...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Batmanifestdestiny

yes, Legacy or, if you have it, BOOM, both are good starters, as they're easy to use.

plus, if you want to be rebellious and not use DooM Builder, you can use Slade.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!

Frizkie

Quote from: Batmanifestdestiny on July 31, 2008, 02:30:05 PM
yes, Legacy or, if you have it, BOOM are good starters, as they're easy to use.

plus, if you want to be rebellious and not use DooM Builder, you can use Slade.

So I am trying Slade, and I started it up. With DooM Builder, I downloaded the TNCQ config file to be able to start Chex Quest files. What do I do for Slade?

The Green Avenger

I'm pretty sure that if you have one of those programs running, you really don't need the other...

That said, I really don't know what you need to get that working, sorry.
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

Atariangamer

I've never even heard of it! Time for google...

HOT DANG! That is fethin sweet lookin! And the 3d editing mode shows slopes and translucency! O_O
batman, you mighta just found my new best friend!

The Slimeinator

Slade fails it. It messed with my textures and it corrupted any WAD it ever touched.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Atariangamer

ooh...
I only got a few things working, but now its not doing too good...it looked like it didn't auto join linedefs and such...

...I sure spoke too soon. :( Now I guess I DONT have a new best friend, and doom builder erased my map that I was drawing...so I"m outta ideas...